Your Shout

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Your Shout

Postby jello » Thursday Sep 08, 2011 9:51 pm

For those of you that have paytv, there is a two part series coming up on The History Channel called Your Shout:History of Australian Beer.

The first episode airs on Wednesday, 21st September.

Is there anything closer to the heart of Australians than beer? More than any other ritual in the past 200 years, two men sharing a beer has defined the Australian character. It's brought us together in pubs and sporting grounds, lubricating our friendships, quenching our thirst and rewarding our labours at day's end. Your Shout is a the definitive history of beer in Australia, an untold story that both delights and surprises. As far back as Captain James Cook's first charting of the East Coast of Australia in 1770, beer has played a central role in our history. Cook actually brewed beer on that voyage to sterilize the ship's fetid drinking water. When rum-fuelled drunkenness swept the early European settlement, beer was officially promoted as a healthier alternative. While home brewing was the norm for many early settlers the brewing of beer soon became one of the major industries of Australia and established some of the nation's great family fortunes. Our first official brewer was John Boston whose concoction was made from Indian corn and with cape gooseberry leaves. Then, in 1824, Peter Degraves built the Cascade brewery in Tasmania, which has survived to the present day. Today Australian beer is loved and enjoyed around the world, and two great corporations dominate local industry with sales of $8 billion a year. Your Shout is the history documentary all Australia has been waiting to see.
Jeff.
jello

Re: Your Shout

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Sep 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Upon seeing the title, did anybody else think that he had started a thread to rub it in that he won the beer lotto? :P
bullfrog

Postby RUM57L » Friday Sep 09, 2011 12:53 pm

lol i did
RUM57L

Postby Sonny » Friday Sep 09, 2011 1:02 pm

I thought that as well.

Posting your bottle myself this afternoon Jeff. I can't wait for the wife to do it. It would be a Xmas present if I left it for her to do any longer!
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby jello » Friday Sep 09, 2011 1:06 pm

I thought it was us blokes that were meant to be unreliable?
Jeff.
jello

Postby Oliver » Saturday Sep 10, 2011 8:03 pm

bullfrog wrote:Upon seeing the title, did anybody else think that he had started a thread to rub it in that he won the beer lotto? :P

It was the first thing I thought!

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. It's too far in the future to set it to record at the moment, but I'll schedule it in a few days.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Sep 20, 2011 10:29 pm

A reminder, for those of you with Foxtel, that this is on this week and next week, on Wednesday night at 7.30 on History Channel.

The first episode is repeated seven times and the second episode eight times, so no excuses for missing it :-)

Check out the show's "website". Looks like it's being hosted by Joe Cocker!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to General discussion