starsan users

Other topics - beer-related or not.

starsan users

Postby barrelboy » Monday Sep 26, 2011 1:53 pm

A lot of us use starsan as a sanitizer and know of its re-use capabilities. The re-use is ok if the pH level of the solution is under 3. To make things a lot easier and confidence in re-use do what I did, under eBay search "pH litmus paper" I purchase 3 packs of 80 test strips at $1 per pack, postage free from Hong Kong. That's right $3!! Arrived by airmail within 10 days. Each pack has colour comparison strip. Its great, check your spray bottle, rinsing solutions etc. Trust this helps,
Cheers BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Re: starsan users

Postby jello » Monday Sep 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Thank you! That will surely help to save starsan. I get a little paranoid that my spray bottle may have lost its mojo after a while.

I think I'll need to get on board with that bargain.
Jeff.
jello

Postby SimonG » Friday Sep 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Hey Guys,

I use Starsan and it only costs about $20 for a 500ml bottle. 1.5ml of concentrated Starsan makes 1L of sanitiser, so a 500ml bottle will make up 333.33L of sanitiser for just $20 = 6 cents per Litre.

Why would you muck around with litmus paper and risk potential infection of your brew if you make an error to save 6 cents or less?

I play it safe and make up a fresh batch of starsan each time I need it.

Cheers
Simon
SimonG

Postby barrelboy » Friday Sep 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi Simon, I certainly take your point but I'm a bit "old school" and don't like to throw out something that's perfectly good. There's no real risk and a lot of people reuse, therefore my post.
Cheers BB
barrelboy

Postby squirt in the turns » Saturday Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm seeing both sides of the argument here, but for me the issue is the generally advertised/accepted view that once a starsan mix becomes cloudy/turbid, it's an indicator that it's no longer effective. I found that Star San mixed with Gold Coast tap water turned cloudy within an hour. I've seen a post on a blog somewhere about the PH remaining low enough even once the mix clouds. Anyway, I started using de-mineralised water and haven't had the mix turn turbid for months after mixing.

Barrelboy, have you found your Star San mix to be cloudy while still at an acceptable PH?
squirt in the turns

Postby barrelboy » Sunday Oct 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi Squirt, yes I have found the solution ok when cloudy and have put it down to the water quality or poor rinsing. I like you now use de mineralized water and make up a solution in the 4 litre container it comes in. Transfer to spray bottle and bottle sanitizer unit as needed. Lasts ages. The limus paper checks take any doubt out, but as said I do take Simons point. I just don't like ordering Starsan from interstate ( can't get in SA) and paying the postage.
Cheers BB
barrelboy

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Oct 06, 2011 3:11 pm

I reuse starsan/phos acid all the time.

Nothing wrong with this at all.

It's an acid so unless it comes in contact with a base how exactly is it deteriorating?
drsmurto

Postby warra48 » Thursday Oct 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Just ordered some of this from CraftBrewer.
My Iodophore is almost run out, and after last week pouring 25 litres of Best Bitter Vinegar down the lawn, I'm keen to try a different sanitiser.
warra48

Return to General discussion