Pure randomness

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: Pure randomness

Postby earle » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 8:52 am

warra48 wrote:Idiot drivers sitting at 10 to 20 kph under the limit, and who are convinced that by holding up a long queue of traffic behind them they are doing road safety a wonderful favour.

If it was legal to fit a bazooka on the front of my car, it would get more than the occasional use.

Its also part of their public service strategy to speed up at overtaking lanes to make sure they can keep your speed down after the overtaking lane as well.
earle

Postby lob » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 10:21 am

How hard would it be for some computer programer to develop an app/program that would import photos and turn them the right f**ing way round? Or am I supposed to never turn the camera 90 deg? Is there some conspiracy out there to stop armature photographers trying to get unusual/interesting shots? They already have facial recognition software. Surely every landscape photo can be pretty much corrected by light/blueish being at the TOP and dark/greenish being at the bottom. Am is missing something? There must be at least one million $$$$$$ in this for some lazy programer with a few spare hours to knock some simple program together.
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby earle » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 10:29 am

chadjaja wrote:I like turtles

What about dugongs?
earle

Postby lob » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 10:49 am

Roast Dugong on the spit with seafood stuffing. Wash down with a Belgian White.
lob

Postby lob » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 11:15 am

I'm over filling out online forms and stupid computer systems not making allowances for Irish - ie surnames that begin in "O' ". You know, you type in your surname in, and "Error, please correct the following error" Pops up. The error being your surname spelled perfectly 100% CORRECTLY. Irish f---ing names have existed long before they even invented the f---ing computer. I'm not changing my f---ing name through deed pole to appease some asshole in a bank. And the letter after the " ' " is also capitialised. Idiots. Two questions: 1. What private or government agency in their f**king right mind sets up an online form and only allows a-z as valid inputs for names? 2. Who in their f**king right mind sets up an online form only allowing a-z inputs and then when contacted by an upset/angry/hysterical irishman/woman named O'Conner, O'Neil, O'Brien, etc, etc doesn't say 'shit we made a right balls up, we'll get someone onto it straight away and fix this.' I'm pretty certain the world is run by morons.
lob

Postby gregb » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 1:24 pm

I've had the discussion many times with the programmers about the need to accommodate the O'Briens, O'Connors and the oh dears.
gregb

Postby warra48 » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 2:32 pm

lob wrote:Roast Dugong on the spit with seafood stuffing. Wash down with a Belgian White.

I once dummied up a menu for our work canteen.
It looked like the real thing, with my inventions for the entire week.
One item was:
Cane Toad drumsticks, deep fried in whale oil.

It was amazing the number of idiots who thought it was for real.
Yes, I have a short fuse for idiots. Being intelligent (and that's said in all modesty) is a burden which the dumb do not suffer. Ignorance is bliss, it truly seems.
warra48

Postby earle » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Ignorance is bliss, I found that out by trying to teach a lot of very happy kids.
earle

Postby Bum » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Lob, many special characters in text entry fields can expose websites to potential security risks. I also have a special character in my name and find that I couldn't even have it includedwhen I buy plane tickets but I never have an issue with the name being different to that on my passport. I reckon if I get by there you'll be fine with whatever online stuff you're doing. Calm down.

Also, it would be incredibly difficult (impossible) to make a program that reliably recognises the photographers intended orientation for any picture. Much simpler would be for you to right click the image and turn it yourself. Every half-featured image viewer (and OS, for that matter) should allow this and is not hard to do.
Bum

Postby lob » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 6:04 pm

Bum wrote:Lob, many special characters in text entry fields can expose websites to potential security risks. I also have a special character in my name and find that I couldn't even have it includedwhen I buy plane tickets but I never have an issue with the name being different to that on my passport. I reckon if I get by there you'll be fine with whatever online stuff you're doing. Calm down.

Lies. It's a conspiracy against the Irish I tell ya.

Bum wrote:Also, it would be incredibly difficult (impossible) to make a program that reliably recognises the photographers intended orientation for any picture. Much simpler would be for you to right click the image and turn it yourself. Every half-featured image viewer (and OS, for that matter) should allow this and is not hard to do.

Bum, 'cause they can already work out faces 'n photos [Picasis 3 will do this, wade through your entire collection and select human faces], they can therefore work out the orientation for ev'ry photo with a face. If they can do this for a human face, one would think a tree, waterfall, mountain, clouds, etc wouldn't be too far off. Hell, Google is probably already workin' on such a feature. Is it the end of the world though if this photo orientation correction feature is never made available? Could I just stop whining and just fricken open each pic that's 'round the wrong way in Photoshop and select rotate? S'pose so.
lob

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Dec 21, 2011 3:46 pm

My family has a 'Kris Kringle' philosophy for xmas such that we each only buy 1 present. Limit is $60. Mum is in charge of making sure we each buy for someone different each year. $60 always stretches me and you have to get creative. It also removes any issues if one person spends a significant more amount of money than the other.

This year i drew my sister and her request was for a bbq and 2nd hand was fine.

Normally this wouldn't really be worth posting but given i am a tool tard this for me was an amazing achievement.

Here are the before and after shots.

I fixed the broken slats, glued it back together and then went to town on it with sandpaper (rough first then a fine sand to finish). After that it was out with the oil i use to protect the outdoor setting. Pulled the plate and grill out and attacked them with oven cleaner. I think it has come up a treat.

Money spent
BBQ - $16 (ebay)
4kg gas bottle - $4 (ebay, surprised to find it was full)
Connection to convert POL to the 4kg bottle - $10
BBQ tool set (tongs/barbiemate/scraper) - $20
Fresh bag of absorbent for under the burners - $10
Total - $60

I'm hoping sis not only likes the bbq but appreciates the effort i went to for her. I also went to a lot of effort for my partner and edited some photos of her and our daughter, got them printed out and framed. She always comments that we have so little photos of her and our daughter so this way its not only recorded but also displayed in the house. I suspect becoming a Dad has mellowed me somewhat. If not then buggered if i know where this niceness and motivation have come from! :lol:

And yes, bbq works and works well. Fires up with no issues and gets nice and hot.
drsmurto

Postby warra48 » Wednesday Dec 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Looks great DrSmurto! All it takes is a bit of motivation and elbow grease, and it's amazing what you can achieve yourself.

It's exactly like one we had from the mid 90s (paid for on my expense account) after a transfer to Perth. We brought it with us when we moved back to Sydney, and it served us well until we moved up to Port Macquarie, when I bought a new Weber.
warra48

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Dec 21, 2011 5:22 pm

We do KK too Dr and my family goes to so much effort....you can have the gift card I've got three years running if you want :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lots of thought there....

Next year I'm going all out and printing out a voucher to get a voucher for someone....now thats random.... 8)
chadjaja

Postby rotten » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 9:12 am

The new neighbours moved in this week, the kids are like Meerkats with their little heads popping up over the fence all the time :lol:

One day the might see something they don't want too :shock:

Time to put the extra high fence up me thinks
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby rotten » Saturday Dec 24, 2011 10:53 pm

Well I got the last of the presents wrapped tonight :D
I even have the ones the mrs doesn't know about wrapped and under the tree for her :wink:

If your girlfriend/wife etc say "don't worry about a present, I will buy one for you-I don't need anything etc" don't listen.
BUY her a present for god sake.

Merry Christmas everyone :D
rotten

Postby drsmurto » Monday Dec 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Native creatures are retarded.

Fancy coming though the cat flap into the house.

I would have though the existence of a cat flap should be warning enough to the natives but no, this marsupial, somewhere between the size of a rat and a rabbit hops through the cat flap, into the house and then wonders why 2 cats start attacking it. Natural selection 1, native creature - 0.
drsmurto

Postby rotten » Thursday Dec 29, 2011 7:09 pm

Day two of being home alone :D
I bet the neighbours are stoked with the loud music and brewing smells :lol:
This'll keep those meerkat kids in check. A half naked, sweaty, hairy, middle aged man drinking, brewing, listening to all sorts of good stuff :roll:
Cheers
rotten

Postby Longwood-65 » Friday Jan 06, 2012 11:31 am

Hmmm Pure Randomness,
I'll have to think about it

What do you mean I'm not spontaneous, I'm spontaneous every tuesday between 6 and 7pm
Longwood-65

Postby turbo_brian » Friday Jan 06, 2012 4:14 pm

He who drinks gets drunk
He who gets drunk goes to sleep
He who goes to sleep does not sin
He who does not sin goes to heave.

So, let's all drink and go to heaven!
He who drinks gets drunk

turbo_brian

Postby rotten » Friday Jan 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Longwood-65 wrote:Hmmm Pure Randomness,
I'll have to think about it

What do you mean I'm not spontaneous, I'm spontaneous every tuesday between 6 and 7pm

I was just trying to think of something original, not just off topic, or random thread, and I was under the influence and thought I could be creative :lol:

turbo_brian wrote:He who drinks gets drunk

EDIT: he who gets drunk posts dribble online

That's better
rotten

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion