2012 Southern Spring Lotto Draw

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: 2012 Southern Spring Lotto Draw

Postby Oliver » Friday Nov 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Saaz, I would definitely try and add some Galaxy late, which should give it more of that S&W character, I would have thought.

Amarillo would turn it into a bit more of a James Squire Golden Ale. There's nothing wrong with that, of course.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby earle » Friday Nov 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Guru wrote:I actually made Earle's SW recipe but used Amarillo as my LHBS didn't have Galaxy. I can't tell what the difference is as I haven't had the Galaxy one, but the one with Amarillo is pretty good IMO.

The s&w recipe is basically a modified golden ale recipe - lose the crystal and slightly different hope schedule for the different hop.

I have been getting my hops from craftbrewer, good price, variety and fresh. Have started getting some hops direct from the us as we'll.
earle

Postby Bum » Saturday Dec 01, 2012 1:05 am

And the Golden Ale (clone) recipe is basically a bog-standard APA homebrew recipe. Both beers (GA clone and SW original) are pretending to be something that they are not (or, more correctly, both are pretending to not be something that they actually are).

Make the GA a bit less chewy and you've fundamentally got pretty much the same beer.
Bum

Postby Mad Dog » Monday Dec 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Where is Goldendale Ale from? Reason I ask is that I live in Goldendale Washington in the Simcoe mountains with a view of Wyeast (the native name for Mt Hood) thirty miles from where Wyeast is made. I want to do an IPA with Wyeast, Simcoe and Cascade hops... Golden Ale IPA
Mad Dog

Postby Oliver » Monday Dec 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi Mad Dog. James Squire Golden Ale (now called James Squire "The Chancer" Golden Ale) is an Australian beer made by Malt Shovel Brewery.

The recipe for the clone being discussed here is for DrSmurto's Golden Ale (DrSmurto is a member on this forum). You can find his recipe on beersmithrecipes.com, or if you've got BeerSmith 2 it's one of the recipes that comes with the program.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Mad Dog » Monday Dec 03, 2012 3:31 pm

It does. Thanks. We have a million microbrews over here and hadn't heard of that one. Now I know why. Thanks
Mad Dog

Postby drsmurto » Friday Dec 07, 2012 10:01 am

Bum wrote:And the Golden Ale (clone) recipe is basically a bog-standard APA homebrew recipe. Both beers (GA clone and SW original) are pretending to be something that they are not (or, more correctly, both are pretending to not be something that they actually are).

Make the GA a bit less chewy and you've fundamentally got pretty much the same beer.

:shock:

I've not tasted Earle's S&W clone but i have had the S&W beer, tastes very grassy to me with no malt. Nothing like a golden ale. No disrespect to Earle, I'm sure his version is very good.

The GA is not an APA, never has been. It's an english style pale ale with american hops, what you sometimes see marketed as an english summer ale where the beers are lighter in colour than a bitter and with more hop character.

Far too much malt for an APA and not enough hops. It's a well balanced beer where the malt and hops are in unison. I've not had the pleasure of tasting APAs in the USA and until recently the authentic APAs we received in this country were poorly handled. Thankfully we now see them on tap in good craft focused pubs. I have, however, lived in the UK and drank my weight in english bitters. The GA is far more english than american which is what i wanted when creating it (the AG version(s)). APAs are far more hop driven with the malt an after thought (if you can even taste it). English ales are malt driven. The GA is balanced between the 2.

The GA recipe started out life as a JSGA clone which is not an APA. It evolved over time, as recipes tend to do. More malt, less hops these days.

I recently posted my thoughts on the GA, sort of a commentary on the evolution of it over the course of the 5-6 years it has been around. It started life on this forum, the first HB forum i joined way back when. I should re-post it here given this is where it all began.

I have a keg of the original AG recipe on tap and the current version i brew ccing.

On topic - apologies to Oliver, I am yet to send a beer but will endeavour to do so ASAP. It could be interesting to send you 2, the original GA brewed the way i intended it to be (and only on tap due to surplus from a camping trip i didn't make) and the version i brew these days - english base malt, rye, vienna, homegrown victoria hops and WY1272.
drsmurto

Postby Bum » Friday Dec 07, 2012 12:37 pm

drsmurto wrote:The GA is not an APA, never has been. It's an english style pale ale with american hops.

And American yeast and a grainbill that would map almost directly to the average homebrew APA recipe (if such a thing were able to be determined). Call it what you want but you're wrong.

English summer ale. f--- me drunk.
Bum

Postby drsmurto » Friday Dec 07, 2012 3:15 pm

What's on your goat Bum?

The english were making beer long before the seppos. APA is a modern twist on an old style. Done with typical american crass approach ie. bigger and louder than everyone else in the room. Which is why i wanted a beer with balance. What annoys you about english summer ale? Is it such a foreign concept that breweries would put out different beers for different seasons? Seasonals. Darker and maltier for winter, lighter and hoppier for summer. Makes perfect sense to me. I don't drink a lot of stout during summer, nor many pilsners in the depths of winter.

One of the reasons i now use WY1272 is that it adds an ester component to the beer much like english ale yeasts do.

Point me in the direction of APA homebrew recipes with 20% munich/vienna and 20% wheat? Most APA recipes i see are ale plus crystal with munich in the minority.
drsmurto

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Dec 25, 2012 2:55 pm

drsmurto wrote:The GA recipe started out life as a JSGA clone which is not an APA. It evolved over time, as recipes tend to do. More malt, less hops these days.

I recently posted my thoughts on the GA, sort of a commentary on the evolution of it over the course of the 5-6 years it has been around. It started life on this forum, the first HB forum i joined way back when. I should re-post it here given this is where it all began.

Hi DrS,

I for one would really appreciate it if you could reproduce that commentary here, along with the recipe for the latest incarnation, which I am planning to be my next brew.

I know others may have seen it on "the other forum", which is where I assume you posted it, but it would be great if you could put it here too for those that aren't quite so promiscuous!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jan 23, 2013 11:38 am

Let me start by saying that the intention of this post is not to shame anyone who has yet to send me my winnings :-)

However, it seems there could be a bit of a, shall we say, issue with the beer making it to me from the post office.

Doc sent his bottle early last week and it's yet to arrive (although for some reason I seem to only get the final notices, not the initial ones, about packages to collect). I wonder whether any others have gone missing on the journey and if so, how many.

For the record, I have received bottles from Earle, Big Dave, Barls and Tipsy.

If anyone has sent beers that I haven't received please let me know and I will attempt to follow it up with Aus Post (wish me luck on that front!).

Feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby SaazGorilla » Wednesday Jan 23, 2013 3:35 pm

Is this the same draw where you received my Stone and Wood clone?
Beers of great men all remind us, we can make our life sublime
SaazGorilla

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jan 23, 2013 4:03 pm

SaazGorilla wrote:Is this the same draw where you received my Stone and Wood clone?

Ah, yes, correct. The one you dropped off.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Feb 06, 2013 9:45 pm

The good news is that I eventually received DrSmurto's bohemian pilsner because, yet again, I didn't receive a first notice, just a final one. It only took 10 working days to arrive all the way from Adelaide. emnpaul's APA has also arrived (I happened to be home when the postman knocked, so no frigging around with missing the first notice and the associated palava).

Thanks fellas. I will taste them shortly and report back.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Oliver » Thursday Feb 07, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm drinking DrSmurto's Bohemian Pilsner. The good Doc described it to me as "not earth shattering but an easy drinking pilsner". Well, Doc, I definitely agree about the latter. It's going down a treat. It might not be "earth-shattering", but it's a nice beer nonetheless. Bloody nice, in fact. I'd be pretty happy to have made this.

The beer also presents well, with a golden colour and great head.

I commented to 'er indoors, who is having a glass of her own and who likes it a lot too, "I couldn't make this beer."

But she was on to me straight away. "Why, because you don't have a fermenting fridge!?"

D'oh! Always one step ahead. :-(

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Oliver » Sunday Feb 10, 2013 4:33 pm

emnpaul's APA followed closely DrSmurto's Bohemian Pilsner (see previous post) down the hatch the other night.

It was a fine beer and took me back to some of the brews I had a year ago in my travels through the US.

emnpaul sent me the recipe, which is full of Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. Personally, I would have liked to have had a bit more hop aroma and flavour, but that they were subdued might be a factor of how long ago it was bottled, perhaps? Simply take that as a personal preference, not a criticism of the beer, which I really enjoyed.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby emnpaul » Sunday Feb 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Oliver.

There's a few things I'd do differently if I get around to making it again. More aroma would be on the agenda along with a couple of things mentioned in this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10960&start=20#p113190

Thanks for the feedback.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby drsmurto » Sunday Feb 10, 2013 9:17 pm

I get sent many GAs. People seem keen to send me their beer.

A similar thing for me is sending Oliver a beer. The Oliver. Stoked he enjoyed it.
drsmurto

Previous

Return to General discussion