2013 Xmas in July Lotto

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: 2013 Xmas in July Lotto

Postby drsmurto » Monday Sep 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Nice. It's good RIS drinking weather here :grin:
drsmurto

Postby Oliver » Sunday Sep 29, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm finally up to doing some beer tastings.

First cab off the tasting rank is Planner's Ale-Lager. Pours a dark golden/light copper colour.

Carbonation is not too high, which is just how I like it, and the head is long-lasting. No noticeable hop aroma or flavour. A quaffable "ale-lager" with a bitter finish. I detect a very slight homebrew "twang" - this is a kit beer, yes? Still tasted good as it warmed up, too.

Next up is earle's AG Galaxy Pale Ale.

This is the palest homebrew and one of the whitest heads I have ever seen. It pours with a big, creamy head that would indicate that it might be overcarbonated, but it is just right. Once it settles down the head lasts until the final sip and clings to the glass all the way to the bottom. What's is the recipe, earle? It's a very tasty beer. The hops aren't overpowering but it is a beautifully balanced beer that has also hit the spot with the little lady. A great beer for summer.

The last tasting of the evening is emnpaul's American IPA.

Pours a copper colour with a thin head (although the little lady's is holding its head far better) and is every-so-slightly hazy. The appearance is reminiscent of a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in all respects. There's very little hop aroma, but the flavour is great. It's malty with a bit of alcoholic warmth (what's the ABV?). The bitterness is assertive and long-lasting, as is the maltiness. I would be very to happy to have brewed this. A very, very enjoyable beer. Well done! (And can you post the recipe? :-) )

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby emnpaul » Monday Sep 30, 2013 8:37 pm

I'll get on it ASAP. Here or in the recipes section?
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby earle » Monday Sep 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. It's probably the chunk of wheat malt that gives it the huge head. Recipe is in the Earle's stone and wood recipe thread here http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10660&start=40#p113539
earle

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 30, 2013 10:17 pm

emnpaul wrote:I'll get on it ASAP. Here or in the recipes section?

How 'bout a post in the recipe section and a link from this thread just for good measure :-)
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 30, 2013 10:25 pm

earle wrote:Glad you enjoyed it. It's probably the chunk of wheat malt that gives it the huge head. Recipe is in the Earle's stone and wood recipe thread here http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10660&start=40#p113539

Interesting. That malt bill is not dissimilar a brew that I pitched the yeast in on Saturday in which I'm trying to get something along the lines of (although not the same as) a Mountain Goat Steam Ale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8707&start=560#p114313

I brewed a similar beer a while ago that had a couple of hundred grams of light crystal. I dropped it this time because I wasn't happy with the body and sweetness it imparted. And I plan to add a shedload more French-pressed hops than the pathetic 21g last time - 40g of Citra, Cascade and Galaxy in total. And maybe a little more if I feel in the mood.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby earle » Wednesday Oct 02, 2013 7:42 am

Your comment about dropping the crystal in your recipe is interesting Oliver. I've been wondering if my galaxy pale ale needs some crystal, but perhaps I'm just comparing it to my extract Stone & Wood which would have had some residual sweetness from the extract. This weekend I'm bottling another batch of the AG galaxy pale ale brewed per the recipe in the other thread (no crystal) so looking forward to tasting it again in light of your comments.

Cheers
earle

Postby Oliver » Thursday Oct 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Tonight's beer is earle's AG Black Sheep-ish clone.

Pours a brilliant copper colour with a thick head and strong carbonation. Unfortunately this picture doesn't do justice to the colour.

The head soon settled down to be relatively thin, but lasts to the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is all English: a lot of malt and yeast character with a hint of chocolate, and earthy hoppiness.

The flavour is very spicy and, as you'd expect, strongly malty and the earthiness of the hops comes through, too. It's bitter, and the bitterness lingers nicely.

I am not sure I could drink more than a couple in a sitting.

Personally, I would prefer a bit less carbonation in this style of beer but each to their own.

Overall, a bloody decent beer.

I am hoping for a few more tastings tomorrow night when the missus is around so she can give her take on things.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby earle » Thursday Oct 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Adjusting my carbonation for different styles is something I've got to get around to. Might have to cut out some sugar scoops like warra. The yeast I used was the new mangrove jacks burton union. Fermented at 20c it produced a bit more esters than I was after.
earle

Postby Oliver » Sunday Oct 06, 2013 6:34 pm

So, Friday night's tasting didn't happen. I had a Hop Zone Session IPA from Brew Cult on the way home. (A delicious beer, by the way.) Then I didn't feel like drinking for the rest of the evening :shock:

I'm back on the case now though.

First beer to celebrate the start of daylight saving is emnpaul's amber ale.

Pours with a thin head and light, fine carbonation. Colour is a very nice copper colour (the chick described it as pink!) and there's an ever-so-slight haze.

Predominant on the nose is malt but little hops.

In fact, this beer is mostly about the malt. It has good mouthfeel, enhanced by the light carbonation, and a nice malty character. The bitterness sneaks up to whack your tastebuds at the end and lingers nicely. After a few minutes the bitterness recedes and a malty flavour remains. While there's not much hop aroma, there's a bit of hop flavour there.

This is a fantastic beer. Thanks for sending a big bottle of it, emnpaul!

The next beer will be the last tasting of the evening, because instead of opening SaazGorilla's belgian ale I accidentally opened Tipsy's oaked Russian imperial stout.

Unsurprisingly for such a beer, the head pours thin then disappears. It's almost opaque and just looking at it you know it's going to be a big, malty, syrupy beer.

At the risk of sounding like a wine wanker tasting a beer, the main things on the nose are chocolate and tobacco, oak and alcohol.

The taste is amazing. There's a lot of vanilla going on. The oaking adds very interesting dimensions to the beer and it takes on some very whisky-like characteristics, enhanced by the high alcohol content that gives it a warmth. The roastiness is not astringent at all.

The carbonation is light, and suits the beer well.

A beautiful, well-balanced beer. I'm just sorry I opened it in error and didn't save it for when someone was here with me who would appreciate it as well.

That's it for tonight. The RIS is going to my head and I am having trouble concentrating!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby drsmurto » Sunday Oct 06, 2013 10:16 pm

2 oaked RISssss? Lucky bugger. I sent you one of those too so I hope it gets as good a write up as Tipsy's.
drsmurto

Postby Tipsy » Monday Oct 07, 2013 9:15 am

Glad you liked it Oliver and a big thumbs up to Dr Smurto whose RIS recipe it was based on.
Tipsy

Postby emnpaul » Wednesday Oct 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Oliver wrote:
emnpaul wrote:I'll get on it ASAP. Here or in the recipes section?

How 'bout a post in the recipe section and a link from this thread just for good measure :-)

Recipe is here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11116
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby Oliver » Friday Nov 08, 2013 5:16 pm

OK, I am back on the tastings. It seems that I haven't had a drink at home (except late at night when I have been out and therefore not in a fit state to taste) for weeks.

So, on to Earle's smoked porter. It pours with a foamy head, due in part to my eagerness to get a beer into me.

That said, the head is very, very long-lasting and was still there when I finished the glass. On the nose there is a bit of yeastiness and hint of smoke. Carbonation is high and the beer is spritzy on the tongue (what's the technical term for that :? )

What's the alcohol content of this, earle? It appears to be quite high as there's a bit of alcoholic warmth coming through. I'd describe this as a borderline stout, given its roastiness.

But regardless of whether it's a stout or a porter, this is a very nice beer. I couldn't drink more than a stubby of it in one sitting.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jan 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Happy new year, everyone.

I drank DrSmurto's oaked Russian imperial stout last night with a couple of mates. No photos, sorry.

It was a beautiful beer, and presented with quite a big head. There was more carbonation than Tipsy's version.

The mates and I were all impressed.

On balance, I'd have to say that Tipsy's was a more complex beer with more depth. His had a more-pronounced whisky and vanilla character.

Sorry Doc!

I'm away for a few days from tomorrow and plan to take the rest of my winnings away, drink them and post reviews and pics.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Oliver » Sunday Jan 05, 2014 5:15 pm

I've finally finished tasting all my winnings apart from Geoff's, which I am yet to receive :cry:

Guest tasters were Marcelle (the missus) and our mate Owen.

First up we have Doc's cyser, with a photo-bomb from Marcelle.

Marcelle: Smells like honey. Smells like nectar. Tastes good.

Owen: Yes, it's nice, isn't it. It smells like honeycomb.

Marcelle. It's viscous. I would be quite happy to drink that after dinner.

Very nice. The colour is a lovely apricot hue.

Overall, it's a most interesting and enjoyable beverage.

Next we had Saaz Gorilla's "Belgian Golden Ale - carbed as a wheat!"

It is stunningly clear, except when I poureded a bit of yeast into my glass. The colour is a magnificent golden and the beer has a lacy head.

Yep, it's Belgian! Spicy. A lovely beer. Some had better head than that, but I put that down to the cleanliness of the glassware.

Marcelle picked it as a Belgian on the first sip.

Owen: I like it.

Oliver: I'd be pretty happy if I paid my hard-earned for this.

Owen: Absolutely.

Last one for the day was Emnpaul's Oaked Belgian

Colour is deep, deep, ruby red. Sweet and spicy. Dark yet light. Stunning and complex. But an intense, oakey beer. Couldn't have more than a shared bottle.

Owen: I really like it.

Next day we wrapped up the tastings with Barls' Dark Honey Mild

Lots of honey on the nose and a fantastic ruby colour.

The body was deceptively light.

We initially tasted it when it was straight out of the fridge and it had a bit of astringency and not much flavour.

As it warmed up a nice sweetness emerged with an earthy and almost berry-like flavour.

The nose became a little like fortified wine.

Overall, an easy-drinking and flavour-packed beer that was a hit.

So, Geoff, when can I expect your contribution? :)

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Previous

Return to General discussion