warm cellar temp

Other topics - beer-related or not.

warm cellar temp

Postby cafelinhchi » Tuesday Jul 07, 2015 5:38 pm

warm cellar temp
A few weeks ago I made a rye ale. I fermented it in my cellar and kept the temperature in the mid 60's. I am good with that and have no worries. I have only one keg and it has a full batch of bourbon porter in it. That still has a week to go with carbonating before I can bottle from the keg. So the rye ale is still in the bucket in the cellar. But now we are hitting the true warm season and the temp down there has risen to the mid to high 70's. The ferment is complete and there has been no activity for over a week and a half. Will the higher temps cause me any grief over the next couple weeks until I can keg it?
cafelinhchi

Re: warm cellar temp

Postby Guru » Wednesday Jul 08, 2015 10:59 am

If it has finished fermenting possibly not, although I am far from an expert in these matters. I assume all the fermenting was done below 20 degrees Celsius (68 F).
Guru

Re: warm cellar temp

Postby Pogierob » Sunday Jul 12, 2015 12:29 pm

Just curious, but why don't you just bottle condition the rye ale?

Personally I don't understand why you would carbonate in a keg and then transfer to bottles for a whole batch, it is far less time consuming to directly bottle after fermentation, you also minimise other issues, such as oxidization, loss of carbonation. longevity of beer life.
Pogierob

Return to General discussion