Labeling

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Labeling

Postby rain » Wednesday Oct 27, 2004 9:46 pm

My first few brews proudly showed text only labels containing all brewing infomation - now I simply mark the cap with a number that premits me to check on the computer-based register I maintain. Today I was invited to enter a local homebrew "tasting" and one bottle (for display) is to be labeled.

I am thinking about designing a half serious/novelty label, but I'm interested in knowing if others have a 'quality' label for their homebrew?

If you do, can you name any software used in design?
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby thehipone » Thursday Oct 28, 2004 9:19 am

I imagine something like Corel Draw would be the way to go to design a solid label.

If you need some ideas, check out the http://www.byo.com label contest. There's a pretty good range of designs there.
thehipone

Postby rain » Thursday Oct 28, 2004 11:51 am

Wow! What a site (and a sight too). Thanks Hipone.
rain

Postby Franky » Thursday Oct 28, 2004 1:54 pm

I have thought about doing a label for my brew to give some bottles away as Christmas presents.

Being a graphic designer, I have all the pro software, but I think CorelDraw is one of the best value-for-money packages out there.

If you only want to use the software for a short amount of time, Adobe has full-featured demos available for 30 days trial. Illustrator and/or Photoshop should do the trick for you. Download from http://www.adobe.com.au (but make sure you have broadband - otherwise you'll be sitting around for a week while it downloads over dial-up).

One thing to consider though: don't print using an inkjet printer. The ink will run as soon as the label gets wet through condensation. Colour laser printing is the way to go, although I think you can get inkjet printers that have waterproof inks now.

Another thing I was thinking of was to print the majority of my label through a black & white laser printer onto coloured paper and then screen print or potato stamp a coloured element to it for visual impact. A lot cheaper than forking out for colour laser prints (unless your workplace has a CLC printer).

Lastly - adhesive. I think I might just use spray adhesive, as normal labels come in boring white. I'm not sure how waterproof this might be though. You can get these cool clear labels from Avery though, but they're bloody expensive!
Franky

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Oct 28, 2004 9:20 pm

Franky is bang on the mark with the ink jet story. I ruined some good labels doing that and in the end I said piss on it, no value added.

The other thing to is they tend not to stick when the get cold and damp and when you come to clean them, the buggers stick like glue.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

lables & printers

Postby John » Thursday Oct 28, 2004 10:16 pm

You can buy waterproof inks for some inkjet printers (Epson?), these can be washed and not damaged. The tricky part will be the backing, it needs to last at least a few hours in an esky. :D

Adobe photoshop is great, but takes a while to get used to, you can do a lot with Word if you put some effort into it (use draw and wordart over imported images). :?
John

Postby rain » Friday Oct 29, 2004 12:08 am

Many thanks. I had no consideration of the ink problem, but had thought to approach my new local brewery Brewmaster about gum/glue. He happens to be the judge at the tasting I was asked to enter, and the originator (I think) of the need to label one bottle for display.
The proprietor of an art/hobby shop suggested a gum which when dry would 'roll' off the bottle. Paper stock? Well, I intended to seek help from an advertising print firm on that.
I do have a few digital photography applications so will search there.
Again, thanks for the good advice.
rain

Postby Franky » Friday Oct 29, 2004 9:27 am

Another thought on the adhesive - if you use spray adhesive, it comes right off with a bit of lighter fluid. I'm not sure how water proof spray glue is though... I might do some testing and get back to you on this one lads.
Franky

Postby magictorch » Wednesday Nov 17, 2004 3:44 pm

I've got a few design/illustration programs as well, and in planning my first brew labels were an essential part of the process, but after bottling the damn stuff I only want to go near it again when I drink it...

I did, however, contact the lovely Canadian glue people, at http://www.thistothat.com

I asked for a glue that was cheap, easy to apply, would stick paper to glass, that could be removed easily and that was non-toxic (of course).

They suggested... milk!

Milk should stick your labels to your bottles quite easily. If you find normal milk too sloppy, you can get condensed milk and thin it down a bit with water.

P.S. If you're looking for a free graphics program, I've heard 'The Gimp' is quite good. It's not Photoshop but then Photoshop isn't free.
magictorch

Postby grabman » Wednesday Jun 22, 2005 4:52 pm

just reviving this old chestnut!

Decided to try labelling some beers for gifts etc. Tried the milk idea as glue, works a treat!

Ran labels of on Laser printer at work onto coloured paper, differnet colour for each brew, and used a wipe of milk to stick on. Stay a treat and come off easily in a little hot water at wash time!!

Might even venture into more detailed label for Christmas gifts with novelty saying etc for a laugh!!!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Evo » Wednesday Jun 22, 2005 5:21 pm

Well there you go. I normally run mine through the $13000 colour laser printer here at work on sticker stock (everyone's job should have some perks). I'll give the "milk thang" a bash though. Sounds like they'd come off easier.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Re: lables & printers

Postby NTRabbit » Wednesday Jun 22, 2005 5:57 pm

John wrote:You can buy waterproof inks for some inkjet printers (Epson?), these can be washed and not damaged. The tricky part will be the backing, it needs to last at least a few hours in an esky. :D

Adobe photoshop is great, but takes a while to get used to, you can do a lot with Word if you put some effort into it (use draw and wordart over imported images). :?

I print out labels for mine on my Epson, the ink is waterfast. Admitedly they are just black text on 24-a-page labels, but i have some ideas for fancier ones once i start making some good brews.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby Shaun » Wednesday Jun 22, 2005 8:41 pm

More for the keggers. I saw on another forum (sorry was slumming :oops: ) labels for kegs (well the fridge). It was a scanned copy of the label off the kit or beer it is a clone of reduced in size then laminated with a magnet in the back. You then stick the label on the fridge behind the tap that is dispensing that brew. Works well if you have more than one tap and have had too many to remember what's on each tap, or have friends around who don't know the system and you aren't going to get their beers for them all night. Also very easy to change as you change kegs.
Shaun

Postby grabman » Thursday Jun 23, 2005 12:17 am

hey nice idea Shaun, may give that a run!!! More joy of working at a school, laminator and magnets on hand all the time!!!
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Jun 23, 2005 2:34 am

Nah,

Never have a keg in the fridge long enough to foget what it is.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Friar » Thursday Jun 23, 2005 7:48 am

I lable my stuff "BEER" :lol:
I'm not as think as you drunk I am
Friar

Postby grabman » Thursday Jun 23, 2005 9:25 am

aah Dogger a man after my own heart or is that liver!

I often have three kegs in fridge and it would be a handy way of letting others know which is which when I'm to "relaxed" to get up and pour the brews!
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Evo » Thursday Jun 23, 2005 10:14 am

On that note Grab, do you actually LET others pour their own ? Most of my mates go crazy with a gun in their hand (beer gun that is). Seriously though, it's normally "back away from the beer fridge."
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby grabman » Thursday Jun 23, 2005 10:42 am

I do let some pour their own Evo, saves me getting up all the time! Usually by this stage we're pouring jugs so it's not too often that a novice gets near the kegs!

As for the stubbies, yep they can grab their own as long as they re-stock from storeroom!

Anyway why should I have all the fun, if they get involved there's a better chance they'll start brewing and won't drain my supply all the time!
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby rain » Tuesday Jun 28, 2005 11:24 am

Aaahh, thanks for the revival grabman. I've not progressed at all on this project - been crook, and can't brew at the moment.

Friar you are forgiven (I love amber humour). :twisted:
rain

Next

Return to General discussion