Books

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Books

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Aug 31, 2005 2:50 am

Anyone have any first hand knowledge on this one? I ordered it, hopefully it will be here before Katrina arrives

"The Homebrewers' Recipe Guide"

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Sunday Sep 04, 2005 11:55 am

I haven't heard of it. Sorry, Dogger.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Sep 04, 2005 9:05 pm

Its pretty good actually.

Homebrewers Recipie Guide by Higgins, Kilgore and Hertlein. Three piss tanks if I ever saw one.

The only big issue is the recipies are for 5 gallons US and are in lbs and ounces. I wrote some software that will convert it into more usefull units of measure and then got so excited I decided to get it to convert into partial mashes, even takes into account hop utilization based on apparent wort SG. Will work on converting into all grain next.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby undercover1 » Friday Sep 09, 2005 9:18 am

Got a new book last night- Brew Ware, by Karl Lutzen & Mark Stevens- see this link for details of this (and others):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... &n=507846/

It really is excellent- tips hints & plans to make life easier. A couple of random-ish samples:

"Some homebrewers are concerned about introducing water-borne bacteria to sanitised equipment, so they air dry after soaking in idophor. Our view is that air drying alone means that the equipments is sitting out for long periods of time and runs the risk of airborne contaminants adhering to it. So either way there is some risk involved, but it's minimal, and not worth the worry."

"Occasionally you will hear of a capper that is simply a piece of metal that fits over the cap and that you whack with a hammer, but we know of no homebrewer today who would use such a piece of trash."

Very tempted by the idea of using two milk crate style platic boxes to make an inversion stand for the 25l demijohn.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Sep 09, 2005 10:22 am

I loved it,

Am still struggling to find the cap. I saw one in real life and I just don't have the heart to risk flipping the wort. Don't think it could hold up.

There is a post around here somewhere that touches on it UC1 with a link to the web site.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby undercover1 » Friday Sep 09, 2005 1:15 pm

Yes, I am not sure where I will find one, thinking of getting an unbored rubber stopper and some tubing & making one up.
Two problems though- 1/ rubbery taste in brew, 2/ making sure the damn thing won't fall out with 23l of brew sitting on top of it.
May need a new carboy/demijohn, with a threaded neck.
Grain & Grape may be the place.

The other pitfall I've read of about conicals, with the trub gathering in the shoulders not the neck, shouldn't be an issue with the demi- more of a teardrop shape.

ps yes I did manage to get "demi" & "more" together in the same sentence...salut indeed.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Sep 10, 2005 2:26 am

I have a 1 gallon secondary I might play with, I just don't feel comfortable with 5 gallons upside down and just a friction fit

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Return to General discussion