Experiment

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Experiment

Postby beermeister » Tuesday Jan 04, 2005 6:49 pm

Hello All,

Thought I would tell you about my latest brew and I would welcome any comments that you may have (this is only my 3rd brew, I'm still a kit-brewer).

Someone bought me a Cooper's Bavarian lager tin for Xmas. I prepped up eveything beofre reading the can which had a little note saying that Coopers did not recommend the standard 1kg of brewer's sugar, suggesting that using plain old brewer's sugar would result in a thin brew. Seeing I had already got everything ready I thought bugger it, I'll just put in 18 litres of water with the standard 1 kg of brewers sugar. I then chucked in 1/3 cup of Canadian (hey, Dogger!) maple syrup, for no other reason than it was leftover and wasn't a big enough portion for waffles.

Anyway, fermentation went along fine and I'm bottling it tonight. The reason I only put in 18 litres was I thought it may counteract any lack of body in the brew. Any thoughts on how it should turn out?
beermeister

Postby NRB » Tuesday Jan 04, 2005 6:57 pm

It'll be beer and no-doubt drinkable :)

A mate of mine did the Cooper's Burly Bavarian Lager (kit + 1kg BE1 + 500 light DME). He reckons it came out at 7.5%ABV [OG 1063 FG 1009], but it seems like a very high OG reading to me... the taste was quite refreshing, although almost flavourless; 2 weeks in bottle only. Definite sulphur nose from the lager yeast, but apparently will dissipate over time.

I bottled a 2 can Bavarian Lager brew last night. I'll be able to report on that one in a few weeks. Personally, I think I've become a beer snob - I only drink imported/micro beers when bought and crave complex flavours. Kit beers do nothing for me :( I tried my first AG APA on the weekend and was blown away... the Cascade flavour and beautiful maltiness was fantastic!

To answer the question, I'd say the body will definitely be light.
Last edited by NRB on Tuesday Jan 04, 2005 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRB

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Jan 04, 2005 8:38 pm

Should be fine, if not superb.

Some of Geoff's best beers have been made in his ancient "Black Fermenter", which is slightly smaller than normal and gives about 27 longnecks.

The extra concentration adds a little something.

Many say the secret to a great homebrew stout is making the volume up to 18 litres for a more intense flavour.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Jan 04, 2005 10:12 pm

It can't help but be excellent with the little Canadian touch there. Good for you.

By the way, Canada goes for the Gold tonight 2000 (my time) against Russia.

Go Canada Go
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jan 05, 2005 4:49 am

DD,

Just a wild stab in the dark, but would that be in ice hockey?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby beermeister » Wednesday Jan 05, 2005 10:23 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.
beermeister

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Jan 05, 2005 11:13 am

Oliver,

In Canada that isn't a question, for you though yes it is :wink:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby beermeister » Tuesday Jan 25, 2005 6:03 pm

Chaps,

Sampled the Bavarian brew (see above) at only 2 weeks or so of age and it is fantastic - beautiful taste and colour, magnificent head on it, too.

Oliver, I took your advice and brewed a stout kit with reduced water volume. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
beermeister

Return to General discussion