Well, WHY?

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Well, WHY?

Postby rain » Friday Jan 07, 2005 2:54 pm

A few blokes on this site created enough curiousity to cause me to buy a six-pack of James Squire. That's OK, and I decided on the 'Strong Ale'. I reckon it's VG (that's VG [very good] not VB) so went back to the same shop and took the last three six-packs they had.
Although the pack tells me the brew is a Limited Release that doesn't always mean NEVER AGAIN - but checking the maltshovel web site DOES.

I hope others of you have had the chance to try this one - it is VG. B******, now I feel lonely!!!

Is this a commercial venture, or some other gimic?
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby gregb » Friday Jan 07, 2005 3:35 pm

A while ago Boags had a limited run 'Honey Porter' which was also VG. When I enquired if another run was going to be done I was told that that particular brew probably not due to the availability of the Honey. So it may be due to availability of particular ingredients, or the quality of said ingredients.

Coopers does thier Vintage brew which is also a once off. But they do a similar once off each (or every other) year.

Dunno - maybe it was a once off to test the market. Dont forget there are an awful lot of VB (Very Bad, or Victoria Bitter) drinkers out there upon whom a brew suchas the Strong Ale is lost - Pearls before swine. Or they just cant do it as a regular thing as profitably as thier regular stuff.

Didn't get to try it or the Summer ale that was also reported as VG.

Cheers,

Greg.
gregb

Postby Oliver » Friday Jan 07, 2005 10:07 pm

I first tasted the Strong Ale at least a year ago, and possibly two, so I don't know about this "Limited Release" crap. Not too limited if you ask me.

I reckon it's just a marketing gimmick.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Marty » Saturday Jan 08, 2005 3:12 pm

I believe the first release of the strong ale was to see the reaction to it. It sold well so they make one batch each year.
Marty

Return to General discussion