Beer Glasses

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Beer Glasses

Postby Shaun » Tuesday Jan 18, 2005 7:43 pm

Three Questions on beer glasses.

1. Do you prefer to pour a commercial beer in to a glass to drink or drink it from the bottle/can?

I like to pour into a beer glass. I find it releases the aromas and if poured correctly develops a nice head that is great to drink the beer though.

2. How do you wash your beer glasses?

I simply rinse them under hot water, no detergents used at all. Also my beer glasses only ever have beer in them.

3. How do you store your glasses?

I store mine in the door of my beer fridge so they are always cold.
Shaun

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Jan 18, 2005 10:17 pm

1. A Glass, unless it is can from an ice bucket and I can get a Brain Freeze or someone else buying

2. Rinse in water, rinse in water before use, rinse in cold water before use. Rinse in water after use

Never sees soap

3. Never stops long enough to be stored.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby rain » Wednesday Jan 19, 2005 8:03 am

Aaaww, come on Dogger! Till now I held you in much esteem and enjoyed reading all your posts, but I can't in honesty, accept your claim nunbered '3' in the last post - who does your typing, eh? :twisted: :roll:
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Jan 19, 2005 8:11 am

Believe it or not

8) :P

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Evo » Wednesday Jan 19, 2005 9:37 am

I'm of the school that Mr. Detergent is a friend of the beer glass. As long as you rinse it thoroughly. And I'm also of the opinion that a dry beer glass is better than a refrigerated or frozen one.

I could well be on my own with both of these.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby BPJ » Wednesday Jan 19, 2005 10:03 am

I use a beer glass that goes into the sink with the dishes and gets rinsed very well with hot water and left to dry, then storeed in teh cupboard for next time.

Commercial out of stubby, never drink cans if i can avoid it. Homebrew out of glass, excpet when working outside.
BPJ
BPJ

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jan 19, 2005 11:18 am

I generally pour my beer into a glass. The exception is crap beer like VB, which tastes better from a stubby because you can't taste it as well as if it's in a glass. :D For some reason, I generally drink Cooper's Pale Ale from the stubby when I'm at home. Don't ask me why.

I don't do cans if I can help it.

I'm with Evo on the washing. I wash the beer glasses with the other washing up (all glasses first, of course, as the water is cleanest at the start). Rinse thoroughly and let drain.

Store them in the cupboard. There's no room in the freezer as the missus has so much food in there.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby grabman » Wednesday Jan 19, 2005 11:26 am

I generally drink from a glass, unless at a BBQ or something where may not be practical to do so. Especially if I can't rinse my glass.

As for the washing, rinse in hot water, drain and store in beer fridge door. Once a month all beer glasses get washed in "tri-sodium", a commercial cleaner used in pubs etc for their glasses. The advantage of a wife working in pubs, she brings home what I need.

GRabman
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby gregb » Wednesday Jan 19, 2005 4:51 pm

Prefer to drink from a glass.

Rinse thoroguhly in hot, then cold water, not afraid to use detergent or bottle wash if glass is starting to show signs of not holding head.

Stored in cupboard.

Will also put a schooner glass into a stubby holder to keep beer cold and hand warm.

cheers,

Greg
gregb

Postby sago » Friday Jan 21, 2005 10:09 pm

Have drunk beer from many receptacles in my time and even from the font of a nubile female.Prefer drinking from a Grand Final Cup .
Guess a stein is the next best thing.
As President of the local Rugby Club I,ve instigated a " no glass policy" so I drink Tooheys Old cans when there.
Alpacas are larger than nattterjack toads
sago

Postby Evo » Friday Jan 21, 2005 10:42 pm

"even from the font of a nubile female"

I like the tones of your prose there Sago although I'm not sure of which way to take it. I can think of two ways, one of them good, one of them ahhh... a bit kinky.

On to another matter (as much as I like talking about drinking from the furry cup), and I'm probably going to get dissed for bringing this up, but what is it with other states (other than NSW) and drinking middies or pots or whatever you wanna call em ? I know you can now buy schooners in most states but you normally get that "oh, you want a schooner do you tourist" look when you ask for one. Which I guess is better than the guy in QLD way back in the day who thought I was talking about a boat.

But I mean middies, really ? It's like that little splash the waiter puts in your glass to test your wine.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

beer glasses

Postby r.magnay » Saturday Jan 22, 2005 8:24 pm

Well strike me down dead if I am lying, but! I made some beer a few months ago and put it down in Shhhhh(pet bottles) Now I am a glass man normally, but I do most of my work in the bush, I used to buy cans, Easier to hide (some places I go you are not supposed to take grog,) easier to transport,(500km of dirt roads can test a glass container) and easier to get cold quickly. To satisfy my desire for a better beer I started brewing in the Pet bottles for bush trips. Well I havn't been bush so much recently, and I had some Coopers bitter brewed in the shed and three months old, I cracked a few of them and drank them from glasses, bloody beautiful, great head retention, great taste and mouthfeel just a bloody good drop, today while doing a bit out in the yard, I pulled my coopers mug out of the frige and filled it with the same brew, bloody beautiful, so there you have it brewed and aged in plastic, drank in glass and stainless and still top stuff, I think the beer has got as much to do with it as the rest!
Ross
r.magnay

Postby sago » Wednesday Jan 26, 2005 6:47 pm

Sorry guys,
But I reckon that ,my ordinary beers have been fom the ubiquitous plastic bottles.
It is Australia day so I am well pissed.
sago

Postby r.magnay » Wednesday Jan 26, 2005 10:08 pm

not sure what you are saying Sago, but happy Australia day anyway. (though it sounds to me like that has already happened!)
Ross
r.magnay

Postby tommo » Saturday May 14, 2005 6:18 pm

g'ay all,

going to revive this thread on account of the success i've been having of late with the hallowed grog glass.

As follows:

1/4 tea spoon Wander Bott Wash Powder in glass.
Fill with hot H20. Sit for 30 min... The glass, not you.
Rinse with cold H20 and chuck them in the cooler.

This never fails, even on glasses that have been attacked by the dreaded
'chocolate milk troll'.

tommo.
i like em fruity
tommo

Postby the Baron » Sunday May 15, 2005 3:48 pm

1. Like most depends on the situation usually not from the bottle except tinnies, for the fellas who don't drink tinnies, not sure when you last tried but I have found them to be almost identicle to the beer in glass these days, not a really detectable taste of tin about them

2. I have never washed my beer mug, I have a 1.5L mug that takes cops a hiding, just stick my paw in and scrape out any crustys if the situation arrises

3. Keep my weapon in the freezer
This is the writ of the Baron, thou art truly blessed.
the Baron

Postby sago » Sunday May 15, 2005 6:34 pm

After being grieved of late with some of my beers not holding a creamy head and also the second pour out of a longneck being cloudy I,ve gone the hog and bought 4 German steins on ebay.
If the head is not so good I can shut the lid jobley and not worry about looks only taste.
Havn,t got them yet so I don.t know how I,ll go.
I think you are supposed to display the bastards but I will use them for their true purpose.
sago

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday May 15, 2005 11:12 pm

Sago

Not peuter (sp?) I hope

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby tommo » Monday May 16, 2005 6:43 pm

Dogger,

Surely lead couldn't be sold in that form nowadays. :shock:

Even the tin in that alloy couldn't be that beneficial.

tommo
i like em fruity
tommo

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday May 16, 2005 9:39 pm

Don't know,

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Next

Return to General discussion