My Daily beer Calander

Other topics - beer-related or not.

My Daily beer Calander

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Jan 27, 2005 1:00 am

Nice touch eh?

By the way, the thing they are talking about stopping insects and debris from flying in your beer is your thumb

Dogger

For Jan 26

TOOHEY'S OLD BLACK ALE
Brewed in Lidcombe, New South Wales, Australia

This ale's slight fizziness has a strong, steady current that brings its focused bitter quality across the tongue in a hurry. The ensuing sugary aspect gathers up hints of fruitiness by mid-bottle, revealing a backwash of bitter roastedness in the aftertaste. The darkamber body glows ruby-red in the sunlight. Old Black finishes with a well-placed, slightly roasted and sweet mouthfeel. Here's a lovingly brewed beer.

BEER FACT
A Canadian inventor has designed a special device that prevents insects and debris from falling into a beverage can between sips. He came up with the idea after a bee flew into an open can of beer and stung him on the inside of the lip.
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Saturday Jan 29, 2005 5:42 pm

so Dogger, when is the next instalment of your diary going to appear?

I wait with baited breath, or is that beer soaked breath?

Actually being fond of the Toohey's Old I've just put down a brew using a Toohey's Classic Dark Ale kit, 750gm Dark malt, 750gm dextrose and SafAle yeast. Wating now for the results!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Jan 29, 2005 9:46 pm

This actually gets sent to me every day. I bought one of those page a day calanders and you got a free one on the web and I chose the 365 days of beer

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Shaun » Saturday Jan 29, 2005 10:19 pm

grabman

I am interested in how your brew goes. I did a Tooheys Classic Dark ale kit with 500g dark malt, 500g light malt, 250g maltodextrin and CL80 finishing hops. It had to be the worst dark ale I have ever brewed. Have not touched a Tooheys kit sinces.
Shaun

Postby grabman » Sunday Jan 30, 2005 10:24 am

give me about 10 days Shaun and It'll be i the keg. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Grabman
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Evo » Sunday Jan 30, 2005 12:18 pm

Aaaaaah. I thought you'd tried a bottle of Australia's finest mainstream brew and that spiel was all yours Dogger (see to what high regard I hold your literary skills ?). Seriously though, if you ever find a bottle of it in Canadia, give it a bash.

As for the Toohey's Old brews, my mate F.O.T. did pretty much the same brew as his first ever brew. He used a kilo of dextrose as advised by some donkey in the HBS he went to (I would have used light and dark malt as you guys had), and it turned out bloody nice. Beginners luck eh ?

In my years of homebrewing (all two of em ;)), I've found stouts the hardest to stuff up. Being that they are big and full flavoured seems to mask any bad flavours maybe. Where do you think yours went wrong Shaun ? What did it taste like ? And what is CL80 hops ?

BTW, I aint dissing you for brewing a dud Shaun. I've brewed more than my fair share of em ;). Just wanna know what you think it was so I don't have to walk that line.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Shaun » Sunday Jan 30, 2005 2:28 pm

Evo
Wish I new where I had gone wrong have brewed that recipe many times before and many times since with Gold Rush Texas T Black Ale and have never had a problem. My prime suspect was an infection from the lines I cleaned them after having that beer go through them and have not had another problem.

It tasted a little like sweet and sour with no body and a very poor head that did not hold, it had no off smell however there was really no smell. I did not bottle any of this beer so was unable to see if the problem came from the keg or the fermenter :( regardless I suspect it was a infection from somewhere.

Evo no offences taken without failing we can't improve and learn. I now clean my lines more regularly :wink: .

CL80 is a blended hops produced by brewiser in their finishing hops range. It is made up of three different hops I have no idea what the three are and they will not tell.
Shaun

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Jan 31, 2005 1:14 am

Apptly named I think

Dogger

BELZEBUTH PUR MALT
Brewed in Ronchin, France

Belzebuth's strikingly high alcohol content (13%/vol. in the U.S version, 15%/vol. in Europe) floods the mouth at first sip and resists letting go. Omnipresent malt neutralizes the fire to create a smooth, flavorful powerhouse, much like a fine brandy or cognac. The fresh, doughy presence also helps absorb some of the potent alcohol. A prominent, aggressive orange peel quality settles on the back of the tongue at the end. Strong, heady, and tasty, Pur Malt is best enjoyed very slowly, sipped after a rich dinner.
Dogger Dan

Postby gregb » Monday Jan 31, 2005 11:54 am

Sounds much better than the Nescafe that is accompanying my lunch.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Return to General discussion