The glass et al.

Other topics - beer-related or not.

The glass et al.

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Sep 08, 2004 8:40 am

Hi Everyone,

I just got back from the cottage over our long weekend here in the Great White North, where we quaffed more than a few ales :-)

We tend to be pretty rude and suck it right out of the bottle (Mom always said I was bottle fed) I don't have to many issues doing this with our domestic stuff but the home brew is well above this and needs to be fully appreciated. Truthfully I love it out of a can rather than a bottle but it is about ten dollars more for 24 cans Vs bottles.

So , my querry is this, does the glass truely affect the pint, ie if I am having an ale in pilsner glass is this a catastrophic issue.... or is all good?

My own feel is that it is all good, beer drinkers aren't all that prissy, but am I missing something like drinking cognac out of a juice glass so I don't enjoy the bouquet?

Any thoughts would be welcome

Dogger

PS. If you can, take in the Canada Hockey Game tomorrow, It is big stuff over here and is a perfectly good reason to have a beer.
Dogger Dan

Postby sago » Wednesday Sep 08, 2004 3:46 pm

Dear Dogger Dan,
As long as the nectar gets down your neck then you are on target.
I use 750 ml P.E.T. and glass bottles as well as 375ml Glass bottles.
If the stuff is a bit young I drink the 375ml ones straight out the bottle so I don't get disconcerted with the shitty appearance.
With the 750 ml pet or glass ones I use a DAB beer stein(only 600 ml) that I bought from the German Club close to work.We have been known to frequent said club on a Friday lunchtime in pursuit of European culture.
One of our other haunts is an Irish themed pub nearby and they have surreptitiously donated a couple of pint pots to the imbibing cause.
I prefer the stein as it has a handle and there is no chance of the bugger slipping twixt weakening digits which happens remarkably as the session draws on.
I reckon glass bottles,glasses,steins and pint pots are better than any other vessels to drink out of because they retain the cold liquid better.
For most of us that use this forum I don't think our beer has much chance to get overly warm as we are a great buch of pissheads!!!!!!!
sago

The Glass

Postby ashy » Wednesday Sep 08, 2004 10:24 pm

Dogger,
Don't worry about the ice hockey game. What is going on with the baseball. The playoffs should be coming up. We also have the footy finals over here with only sic teams left.

Onto BEER

I use the 600ml coke bottles alot. I mix them up with with glass bottles each brew and do a third coke bottles with some 375 stubby bottles and 750 ml long neck bottles. I find they work fine especially if bulk primed. I generally drink the coke or pet bottles first as I believe they will loose their carbonation over time thus leaving the coke bottles to sit for some time. I also find that I can give the coke bottles away to friends and or relatives and I'm not worried about losing the bottles. This also works when going to parties. I haven't had a problem yet with the coke bottles.

As for drinking glasses I use a glass that holds a 375 ml stubby which I keep in the freezer. The cold glass helps give it a better head and you can't go past a good head. I don't wash this glass with detergent and just rinse it out with water before replacing it in the freezer

Ashy
ashy

Postby Matty » Wednesday Sep 08, 2004 10:53 pm

I aint no expert, but as far as I know, different glasses for different beers is about aroma and taste. A wide mouthed glass gives more aroma (strong ales, stouts etc.), and I think narrower mouthed glasses give a more 'sharper' taste (pilsner etc.) ? Probably completely wrong, never claimed to be a connoisseur.... :roll:
I know u think u understand what u thought I said, but I don't think u realise that what u heard is not what I meant.........
Matty

Postby morry » Saturday Sep 11, 2004 10:52 pm

When I drink my homebrew out of the 740ml PET bottles, it just doesnt feel right. If Im out, I dont really have a choice, but if Im at home, I try to pour it into one of the pint glasses I bought when I was in ireland.
morry

Return to General discussion