New Brewery

Other topics - beer-related or not.

New Brewery

Postby rain » Sunday Sep 12, 2004 10:25 am

Mildura has a new brewery.
It's associated with the Grand Hotel and I'm yet to taste any brew, but I will just as soon as I can, and will offer a report here for those interested.

An earlier local brewery building was demolished about a year ago and is now replaced by a dozen (or so) residential units - these will never produce such history.
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby morry » Sunday Sep 12, 2004 9:46 pm

Sounds good, Im always keen on trying new beers.
morry

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 13, 2004 10:44 pm

Hi Rain,

As luck would have it, Geoff's wife, Lisa, hails from Mildura. I'm sure he'll be itching to visit the in-laws now he know there's a new brewery up there!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby rain » Tuesday Sep 14, 2004 5:44 pm

Arrrrrh! Good. Official opening was, I think, delayed. I'll visit tomorrow to check-out the situation and post the result. All I know is that the intention was to make "regional brews".

Geoff might like to make contact when/if he does visit. I'd enjoy talking to ANYone more experienced at this homebrewing pleasure.

Now there's a thought - How would I go about starting a "Local Chapter"?
rain

Postby rain » Friday Oct 15, 2004 4:55 pm

Oh well. The only thing I'm never late for is "Beer O'clock" and that's because I hold the only key. Anyway, way back on 14 September I vowed to report on the new, and aptly named, 'Mildura Brewery' - I did finally get there and here (for Geoff, in particular) is some info:
* Established in what was the Astor Theatre (pictures);
* Beers (without much description) made:
** Mallee Bull, 5.6%; Desert Premium Lager, 4.5%; Murray Honey Wheat, 4.5%; and Sun Light 3.0% - each available in 330ml bottles or by the glass;
* Brewery Bar+Cafe 11am to 1am Tuesdays to Sundays with All Day Munchies, noon and evening meals;
* Theatre Club (Thu, Fri and Sat evenings) where you can have your drinks and watch "state of the art video and audio technology."; and
* View the brewing and talk to the Brewmaster.

Other drinks are also available.

Now, if some one can direct me to the existing list of regional breweries, I'll lilst this and extra detail.
rain

Postby rain » Friday Oct 15, 2004 5:10 pm

ps: I have an A4 brochure (printed back and front on coloured stock) which I might manage to scan and e-mail, or post here if there is interest - AND I am led by the hand to manage the task.
rain

Postby rain » Thursday Nov 04, 2004 2:42 pm

A couple of hours ago I tasted two of the new beers at this brewery. The first was "Sun Light" at 3% - fellas this is a beer. Oxymoron?? No it's not!
Over time I've tried a few light beers because I sometimes need to drive, and this is the best so far. A blend of German and Aust malts with Saaz hops - good news for all who can get it/need it.

The second was the "Murray Honey Wheat". I prefer bitter beers and was cautious trying this, but was pleased with the 4.5%abv. The beer is very pale, and using the wine tasting technique of inhaling through the mouth over the fluid, I really did experience the sense of being on the block picking oranges. Why? Because it's claimed to have been infused with local Orange Blossom Honey. A great opportunity as a beer to have with meals.

I would not be able to have "a day" on either, but I certainly will drink more of them. :o
rain

Postby rain » Sunday Nov 07, 2004 8:58 am

........... and so to my report on the final two beers:

'Desert Premium Lager' = Melbourne Bitter without the bitter. Using the advertisiing blurb: "This is a delicate lager, with a subtle herbaceous character. .............. is excellent as a starter or a cleanser." 4.5%.

'Mallee Bull Heavy' - claimed to be "unique and stylish" and, "an excellent complement to fine cuisine.", at 5.6%.

Me? I'm slightly disappointed with both of these, but that's not to say they are crook beers.

All four beers are priced at $3 for the 285ml glass, or there is a tasting option of a thimbleful of each beer at $3 for the lot, which is not enough to really test. :wink:
rain

Return to General discussion