If you have tried any homebrew kits give this site a visit

Other topics - beer-related or not.

If you have tried any homebrew kits give this site a visit

Postby ghost » Wednesday Feb 16, 2005 9:42 pm

http://www.hbkitreviews.com/

PUT YOUR HOMEBREW KIT REVIEWS ON THIS SITE FOR US ALL TO ENJOY.

CHEERS ,
GHOST :D
ghost

Postby tyrone » Monday Mar 14, 2005 12:49 am

Right Done!Great idea maybe ghef or oliver should do the same sort of thing for us beer lovers that are pressed for time.Did you know that beer is made the same as champange but with hops instead of grapes.
Drinking: wheat
listening to:80's greatest hits
tyrone

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Mar 14, 2005 4:28 am

Uuummm,

Not to be a knob but isn't it the malt that ferments to produce the alcohol, not the hops?

Tyrone, thinking that may be one of your issues with your homebrew man :wink: :lol:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby munkey » Tuesday Mar 15, 2005 5:24 am

i actualy thought about how that would work, ha ha ha ha ha

its just wrong man.

may have to give it a try and see lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
munkey

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Mar 15, 2005 8:29 am

I'd put two weeks pay up that says you couldn't drink five gallons of beer made from fermented hops. Anyone have the sugar content on Tettnager?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby tyrone » Monday Mar 21, 2005 6:59 pm

For those of us that are a bit slow I need to spell out that the base ingredient is the flavour base and the suger BE IT FRUCTOSE OR GLUCOSE IS A ADDITIVE TO PROMOTE FERMENTATION ;How long did you two spend in the cold?2, 3 weeks maybe your brain doesn't seem to be working properly!
tyrone

Postby Shaun » Monday Mar 21, 2005 7:47 pm

that the base ingredient is the flavour base and the suger BE IT FRUCTOSE OR GLUCOSE IS A ADDITIVE TO PROMOTE FERMENTATION

So malt has no effect on flavour? it is only an additive to promote fermentation? I think not. Most good beers are Malt, Hops, Water and yeast, they all add to the flavour!

I love a nice malty dark beer.
Shaun

Postby Oliver » Monday Mar 21, 2005 9:53 pm

Children! Please :D
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Shaun » Monday Mar 21, 2005 9:54 pm

:oops:
Shaun

Postby tyrone » Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 5:59 pm

listen guys I am sorry for my attitude the other day had a bad week at work and had the shits ; but I shouldn't have taken it out on poeple just having some fun !SORRY! :oops: :(
tyrone

Postby tyrone » Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 6:00 pm

sorry oliver! :oops: :(
tyrone

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 8:36 pm

No worries guys. No apologies necessary.

Just enjoy yourselves.

:) :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :) :D :lol:
:D :lol: :) :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :)
:lol: :) :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :) :D

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Mar 23, 2005 10:46 am

Not to be to much more of a dick on this topic but I will just 'cause, not that I am trying to stir the shit, however like it or not.

Water is by far the largest contributer to the flavour of beer. It is why certain areas make the great beers they do.

And yes here in Canada, we have winter and it gets mighty cold. Might just be I went outside without my touque on eh and froze the old nostrals together

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:

By the way, someone said life is to short for lagers. I have to agree with that right now.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby beermeister » Wednesday Mar 23, 2005 6:56 pm

Water effecting taste, Dogger?

Surely the taste of water is completely neutral?

I thought if it had any effect it may have been the mineral content having some impact on mouth feel? Or does the mineral content of the water have an impact on the other ingredients during the brewing process?

BM
beermeister

Postby Terry » Wednesday Mar 23, 2005 7:02 pm

Dogger,

you say that the water accounts in large for the taste of the beer. Locally, West End is a big brewer and they use water that they claim is filtered by natural means through many layers of rock etc which is the water they use and hence claim a superior product (however West End = shite) and many a resident of Adelaide queues up for many an hour to fill their large water vessels with the "pure water". Do you think it is worth while to get some of this myself for the home brew or is it splitting hairs and the usual tap water is just as good/indifferent?
Terry

Postby Evo » Wednesday Mar 23, 2005 9:43 pm

Yeah, I gotta say Dogger, not with you on the H20 thang. Water, as it is, is almost tasteless. Surely the slight taste that some water has wouldn't be detected in even the lightest lager. If you are talking about the softness/hardness of the water, well this (as I'm sure you'd know) can be adjusted.

Just my two bobs.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Wednesday Mar 23, 2005 10:07 pm

Beer is mostly water and its quality matters but moreso for mash beers.

Yeast makes flavours that are effected by minerals in the water.

I use a bucket filter for making the water cleaner. Especially chlorine is a bad bad thing to find in the water. Terrible terrible thing.

For making a bucket filter you will need a cheap plastic bucket, one Britta filter cartridge (the round type that goes in the jugs) and a hole saw. Cut a hole in the bottom of the bucket and insert the filter cartridge. Now rest the bucket inside the neck of your fermenter and add the water to the bucket. The clean water will flow into your beer and stop the yeast from having chlorine for binding onto phenols -> producing chlorophenols, which taste like bandaids isn't it.

It is looking like this:

Code: Select all
\       /
 |     |
 |     |
 l_|_|_l
   | |
   |_|

A wise man showed me this way, isn't it.
Hrundi V Bakshi

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Mar 23, 2005 10:15 pm

You have just saved me about 150 bucks, I am having problems with chlorine during the mash forming chlorophenols. Was thinking of putting an in line system in but as I only use the tap water for brewing, It was getting pricy.

Thank you

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Wednesday Mar 23, 2005 10:30 pm

It is a fantastic idea. I am happy for my friend's invention to help someone in Canada :) Cartridges are good for maybe 4 batches isn't it.
Hrundi V Bakshi

Return to General discussion