Times they are a changing

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Times they are a changing

Postby normell » Saturday Apr 09, 2005 11:23 am

Hi all
The brewing bug seems to be getting me ever so slowly
Up until 6 months ago I was content with my home brew shop in Bendigo, but how things have changed in that time
I was happy to be able to get a tin of muntons, coopers, cascade Etc. some dextrose, light or dark dry or liquid malts.
But on asking why there was no liquid yeasts (can get it but it out of date by the time I get it ) , where's your grains (nah, you only need them if you mash, stay away from that, it's a waste of time, the kits make as good a brew anyway), do you have the How To Brew by JJ Palmer (thats only for all grain brewers).
Does not even have tins of malt extract, so I'll be buying all my stuff in future from G&G in Melb or Grumpy's in Adel by mail order.
Some people just never learn

Normell
"Every day above ground is a good day"
normell

Changing Times

Postby Guest » Saturday Apr 09, 2005 11:47 am

Hey Rob,
Why dont you start a Home Brew Club in your area.
I have found by doing this myself it has given us the power of persuasion over our local HB shop.

With a few blokes asking as one entity it is easier to compell our bloke into listening to us. So now we can get most things we just have to place a group order once a month so it is there before the next meeting.

Peter

Postby normell » Saturday Apr 09, 2005 11:52 am

Trouble is Pete, most other brewers in my area are happy to just go the K&K route.
An ex workmate has done over 1200 brews, all the same, with normal sugar :shock: and all into stubbies :(

Normell
normell

Postby Guest » Saturday Apr 09, 2005 11:59 am

Yes I know the type of guys, brew for money, the cheaper the better. We have a guy like that but he just came over (15 mins ago) and asked about liquid malt extract and finishing hops so he is now off the the HB shop to get supplies.

Postby Evo » Sunday Apr 10, 2005 9:00 pm

I reckon you are doing the right thing Normell. It's a consumer driven society we live in. If your local HBS won't stock what you need, go elsewhere.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby normell » Monday Apr 11, 2005 8:24 am

Evo wrote:I reckon you are doing the right thing Normell. It's a consumer driven society we live in. If your local HBS won't stock what you need, go elsewhere.

Only problem is Evo, its 150Kl minimum between shops, or mail order which takes a week. :?

Normell
normell

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Apr 11, 2005 9:20 pm

I just wanted to mention my experience this weekend. Being in the market for a few new items I thought it better to buy a complete starter kit. Went to the local grocery store because the price was the best and after all I was only looking for kit, not knowledge.

Got it home and the plastic primary was badly gouged on the lid and sides and the glass secondary was chipped. Additionally, there was glass everywhere. Took it back, gave me a new one.

Got it home, secondary was cracked at the base and the hydrometer was missing. Took it back, got my money back because there were no more kits. Went out on the floor and they had both kits back on the shelves.
Just imagine if it were someone new to the game eh?

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby tyrone » Sunday Apr 24, 2005 12:23 am

some shop managers need to be shot I am thinking...
Drinking: wheat
listening to:80's greatest hits
tyrone

Return to General discussion