Ask a silly question.....

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Ask a silly question.....

Postby J D Kipper » Tuesday May 10, 2005 6:27 pm

Can anyone tell me what "DRAUGHT" means now? I'm old enough to remember when it meant bulk beer on tap; it obviously means something different now.
sleeper
J D Kipper

Postby Shaun » Tuesday May 10, 2005 6:46 pm

From the CUB Draft Beer Academy "Draught Beer Academy Fundamentals Reference Guide"

Draught
Traditionally, draught referred to beer which was drawn from a keg and most often served in pubs. The brewing process for draught and packaged beer is the same up until the final stage, pasteurisation. Draught beer is pasteurised by flash heating for a predetermined time before it is packaged (under pressure) into kegs, whereas bottles/cans are pasteurised once packaged. Therefore, draught beer is not exclusive to kegs, it can now also be purchased in bottles and cans.

My understanding of draught is that it refers to how it is served not its style, ale or lager can be a draught beer if they are served from a tap.

Correct me if I am wrong please.
Shaun

Postby Oliver » Tuesday May 10, 2005 9:42 pm

My understanding is that packaged beer labelled "draught" claims to approximate the taste of the same beer off tap. i.e. it tastes like "draught" beer.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby dab123 » Tuesday May 10, 2005 10:17 pm

WELL BUGGER ME,
AND I THOUGHT IT CAME FROM THE OLD "DRAUGHT HORSES"
THAT USED TO PULL THE DRAYS LOADED WITH BARRELS TO
THE PUBS :wink: .
SO FURTHER TO THE QUEST:- WHERE DID THOSE MAGNIFICENT
ANIMALS GET THE NAME DRAUGHT HORSES ?
dab.
dab123

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday May 11, 2005 2:54 am

Dab,

Are you sure you have the spelling right, not claiming to be an expert but when I was talking ponies it was Draft, spelt like the unwanted wind. Likely wrong, often am, doesn't stop me though

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Wednesday May 11, 2005 11:45 am

Dogger,

The Australian and British (and probably generally non-North American) spelling of "draft" means the preliminary work of art, drawing, etc, or the selection of military or sporting personnel.

"Draught" is the breeze through a room, a beer or an animal used to pull a load (draught horse, oxen, etc), among other things.

According to the Oxford dictionary, "draught" comes from Middle English, when it meant drawing or pulling.

This has always been my understanding of why beer is called "draught": because it is "pulled" or "drawn" from a keg or barrel, traditionally with a hand pump.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby gregb » Wednesday May 11, 2005 11:50 am

So does that mean that having a Draught is like having a Pull? :oops: :oops: :oops:
gregb

Postby grabman » Wednesday May 11, 2005 4:09 pm

mmmm a nice glass of Tooheys Pull.

not sure about that one!!!!! :lol:
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Wimmig » Monday May 16, 2005 12:02 am

A "draught" beer, means the beer has not been pasteurized at any stage of the brewing stage.
Wimmig

Postby Oliver » Monday May 16, 2005 12:18 pm

Maybe traditionally, but not in Australia any more. And I guess that traditionally no beer was pasteurised.

I don't think there's a single draught Australian beer that that calls itself "draught" that's not pasteurised or filtered.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby friendless » Monday May 16, 2005 2:06 pm

Oliver wrote:I don't think there's a single draught Australian beer that that calls itself "draught" that's not pasteurised or filtered.

What about Coopers Regency Draught?
Admittedly, I haven't tried this but I have enjoyed Coopers Sparkling Ale, Pale Ale and Best Extra Stout many times. These certainly haven't been filtered in the same way as other commercial products, but I don't know if they've been pasteurised.
friendless

Postby Oliver » Monday May 16, 2005 3:15 pm

friendless wrote:
Oliver wrote:I don't think there's a single draught Australian beer that that calls itself "draught" that's not pasteurised or filtered.

What about Coopers Regency Draught?
Admittedly, I haven't tried this but I have enjoyed Coopers Sparkling Ale, Pale Ale and Best Extra Stout many times. These certainly haven't been filtered in the same way as other commercial products, but I don't know if they've been pasteurised.

friendless,

Regency Draught is a lager and is either pasteurised or filtered, as it has no sediment and is artificially carbonated (unlike the the bottle-conditioned ales from Cooper's).

The bottle-conditioned ales haven't been pasteurised as the live yeast is needed for the beer to carbonate in the bottle.

Do yourself a favor though and give the Regency Draught a go. It's not the world's greatest beer, but wherever you live it is probably cheaper than Boag's, Cascade and Crown Lager and, in my opinion, it's a more pleasant drink.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to General discussion