Dr. Cooper live brewing chat

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Dr. Cooper live brewing chat

Postby Tony » Thursday May 19, 2005 1:36 pm

Just got the following from a mailing list that I'm on:

Cascadia Importers is hosting a live chat with Dr. Timothy Cooper, Managing Director of the Coopers Brewery. Dr. Cooper will field questions about Coopers beer, the brewery, and his days studying Brewing Science at Edinburough [sic] University.

Visit their website, http://www.cascadiabrew.com, at 9:00 PM EST, 6:00 PM PST on Thursday May 19 for the chat. You can visit their website at any time for more information.

I think that makes it 11:00 AEST tomorrow (Friday 20 May). Hope it's archived somewhere.

Regards,

Tony
Tony

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday May 19, 2005 9:14 pm

Cool

It is at a great time for me. Will be there with bells on, Anyone have any questions let me know will try and get them in.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Thursday May 19, 2005 10:36 pm

I would very much like to know three things.

1. What is the status of their yeast strain since the move from the old brewery.
2. Some information about the infection of their yeast particularly noticeable in Coopers Daught last year.
3. A recipe for turning the Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale kit into an accurate replica of Coopers Sparkling Ale.
Hrundi V Bakshi

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday May 20, 2005 1:10 am

I will try question 1 and 3 if given the oppertunity

I will not try 2 in an open forum, it is incorrect and I wouldn't like it if someone did it to me.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Friday May 20, 2005 11:02 am

The other two are fair questions. I like.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday May 20, 2005 11:03 am

Done,

On my way

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday May 20, 2005 11:14 am

Question 1

DrTimCooper> 63, Status of the yeast is that we use a single strain of our original ale yeast mixed culture which we introduced in 1999. The mix culture was in existence since 1910. The yeast for homebrew varies from product to product, but the principal one has being bred from our own selection.

Question 3

63, We have Thomas Cooper Premium Selection Sparkling Ale in a can the recipe requires 1.5 kilograms of light malt extract, 500 grams of Light Dried Malt, 300grams Dextrose/Sucrose mixed to 23 Litres

There is a bit of snowballing right now on how to make it

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Friday May 20, 2005 11:26 am

Damn link won't work for me.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday May 20, 2005 11:55 am

Thats because there is a comma after com. By the way I mentioned this forums name and got flung out never to return

You guys piss the Coopers off somewhere along the way?

By the way its good to be home

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Friday May 20, 2005 1:17 pm

Thanks very much Mr Dan.

The recipe they gave is exactly what is on the website :( I don't think it is makes the beer taste anything like the commercial drop. I have cultured up a starter from some bottles of Coopers, so my next attempt may be closer.

Hopefully the responses to Q3 and Q1 combined will help make a beer much like the Coopers I fell in love with.

Question 2 was an honest one. They did have an infection in their culture. It was quite distinct some months ago. I have not tried it (Coopers Draught) since. I do understand why you were reluctant to post it, tho.

Is the site (or someone else) going to post a transcript of the live chat? I would like very much to read it.
Hrundi V Bakshi

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday May 20, 2005 9:58 pm

I tried to find out last night but didn't get to find out

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Return to General discussion