Oliver and Geoff's Homebrew and Beerfest

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Oliver and Geoff's Homebrew and Beerfest

Postby Evo » Wednesday May 25, 2005 3:04 pm

So I seem to talk to you guys on this forum more than I do my family. Got to thinking, after one too many on the weekend, wouldn't it be good to have a beer with these blokes.

Then I got to thinking more (I know, I was scared too), wouldn't it be good to have a homebrew with these guys. This culminated into me thinking of a huuuuuge beerfest, with a massive "Oliver and Geoff's Homebrew and Beerfest" banner blowing in the wind out the front of some sunny Victorian park, heaps of blokes with their finest wares, swapping wares, drinking wares and entertaining each other with stories of brewing their wares.

Bloody hell, we could hold a charity chook raffle before hand and fly Dogger in from Canadia. I'm sure Grab and a few of the lads from WA could carpool. I could chuck a few blokes in the back of the Landcruiser before bombing it down the Hume.

Hell, I'm not going to get bogged down with the logistics and legalities of it all. Geoff is a lawyer, so that's the legal side sorted, and Oliver has a flair for logistics. I reckon they should get organising. Are you lads in ?

:D
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby peterd » Wednesday May 25, 2005 3:33 pm

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but several problems leap out at me.

First, we would need ot hold TWO chook raffles, the second to ensure that we could get Dogger to also LEAVE the country.

Second, who will want to be seen with a lawyer (well, a LIVE lawyer at least)?

Third, drinking beer, in Melbourne, outdoors, in winter? Yeah, right! And what do you mean, "a sunny Victorian park"? Like, that is going to happen! And even if it did, how could you predict it any more than 10 minutes in advance?

I am sure more problems will occur to me over time (personally, I think Murphy was an optimist!): for now, I reckon this will do!
peterd

Sometimes I sits and drinks, and sometimes I just sits
(with apologies to Satchel Paige)
peterd

Postby tommo » Wednesday May 25, 2005 3:48 pm

top idea mate, any excuse for a couple of snorts i say :D :D :D

all the rels live in Vic so I've got free digs as well. :)

It's a bit of a drive but if Dogger can make it from Cangolia who am i to whinge. :wink:
i like em fruity
tommo

Postby Merlin » Wednesday May 25, 2005 4:58 pm

I'll be in Melbourne for the Commonwealth Games next year, not sure I'll be able to attend otherwise. I suppose we could also arrange a similar festival for the Sydney/Newcastle chapter of this fine forum if anyone is keen?
Merlin

Postby Beer Krout » Wednesday May 25, 2005 5:40 pm

Bring it on!
Beer Krout

Postby gregb » Wednesday May 25, 2005 8:34 pm

We could have a commerative t-shirt as well. :D

Greg
gregb

Postby Oliver » Wednesday May 25, 2005 8:54 pm

Around Commonwealth Games time might be cool (as in good, not cold).

And I like the T-shirt idea. I feel like I've got deja vu all over again ...

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

t-shirts

Postby Pyssedas Heavy Industrial » Wednesday May 25, 2005 9:29 pm

i wore a t-shirt once
For smaller, more nimble home-brewing advice visit us at: http://www.pyssedas.com/forum - huzzah!
Pyssedas Heavy Industrial

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday May 26, 2005 2:49 am

When do we get the T shirt? Still waiting on the first one, what happened to it anyway? I know its with the sled isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I will get athletic and swing in on the Commonwealth Games, you know, that sounded stupid before I got past Maybe

Pyssedas, guess Saturday will make twice for a shirt , almost a habit now :wink:

So we are talking August 2006 right?

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Dogger

Postby Pyssedas Heavy Industrial » Thursday May 26, 2005 6:04 am

that would be about right dogger - actually its not the wearing of shirts that i object to - just shirts with collars! and ties for that matter [yes even in the world of heavy industry we must make ourselves presentable at times
For smaller, more nimble home-brewing advice visit us at: http://www.pyssedas.com/forum - huzzah!
Pyssedas Heavy Industrial

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday May 26, 2005 6:57 am

Hey,

Do you know it is like a 28 hr bus ride to Melbourne? Thats a long time folks, crap food, booze better be free, thats like a two hangover trip if you time it right.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby gregb » Thursday May 26, 2005 7:08 am

Take half a dozen tallies as carry on luggage, I'm sure they wont mind. :lol:

Greg
gregb

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday May 26, 2005 8:38 am

Greg

American Airlines man

or Air New Zealand

You drink Bud

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What ever happened to good old Queensland and Northern Territories Air Service?

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby peterd » Thursday May 26, 2005 9:40 am

QANTAS is still out there, but despite my many complaints, even on Business Class they do not serve any decent beer - just the standard Australian mainstream swill :-(
Hell, they go to a bit of trouble with wines, have a reasonable selection of spirits, but really can't seem to grasp that there actually are good beers, and some people like to drink them.
A couple of trips back, I took my own drink on board in protest. Wasn't beer (couldn't get any decent beer cold at the airport). So I took some Southern Comfort I bought in duty free (they used to serve it until about 15 years back, but not now). Got a bit of a party going with others who then agreed that the selections other than wine were somewhat limited.
The head steward tried to shut it down, saying that he wanted to be able to monitor the amount we drank. That got a reaction from a few folks paying $5k a ticket, let me tell you! The guy really couldn't understand why some-one would want to drink something they paid for, rather than something that was free. I would have tyried to explain it to him, but I didn't want to be seen talking to the working classes :-)
peterd

peterd

Postby the Baron » Thursday May 26, 2005 9:41 am

Bit of a mission for the boys from Brisbane to get there, but we have to technology (when I say technology I mean beer) to allow us to get slaughtered up here on the same day.

p.s. Does any one in brisbane live in or around St. Lucia, I am heading into exam period soon but afterwards I need a few days to wipe the slate clean so I can fill it up next semester
This is the writ of the Baron, thou art truly blessed.
the Baron

Postby peterd » Thursday May 26, 2005 10:02 am

Baron,
problem for me is that when you finish your exam period, I start my marking period :-)
peterd

peterd

Return to General discussion