FREEZER TO FRIDGE

Other topics - beer-related or not.

FREEZER TO FRIDGE

Postby wayne » Sunday Nov 09, 2008 10:54 am

HI ALL BREWERS IAM AFTER A BIT OF HELP. I HAVE BOUGHT A NEW FREEZER [ 700 LTS ] AND AM TRYING TO SET IT UP TO RUN OFF A DIGITAL THERMASTAT. AS TOLD I HAVE THE FREEZER TURNED UP TO MAX DIGITAL THERMO SET AT 5C BUT FREEZER FREEZERS AT 10C SHOULD I TURN THE FREEZER THERMASTAT TO ITS LOWEST SETTING AND TRY AGAIN CHEERS WAYNE :shock:
wayne

Re: FREEZER TO FRIDGE

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Nov 09, 2008 2:04 pm

First, WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING?

Second, what the hell are you talking about? That post doesnt make much sense, but I think I got the general idea.

We need more info. What are you using to control the temperature? How is the probe situated inside the fridge? etc...
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Biernut » Sunday Nov 09, 2008 2:43 pm

I think what he is saying Kev that his digital thermo is out of the loop and not cutting the freezer off and the freezer is going its merry way freezing up because he has set it low. I think there is a user problem between setting up and the equipment.
MORE INFO WAYNE.
Biernut

Postby wayne » Monday Nov 10, 2008 8:30 am

KEV, I AM NOT SCREAMING, I AM ONLY SEEKING HELP. BIERNUT YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH SPOT ON [ user problem me ] AND THE FREEZER IS NOT CUTTING OFF,I MUST HAVE A SETTING OR TWO WRONG. OK HERES WHAT I HAVE GOT. THE FREEZER IS 700 lts [ HOLDS 10 X 23lts KEGS ] THERMOSTAT IS A FRIDGEMATE DEI-105AE, IN A JIFFY BOX AND HAS BEEN WIRED BY A SPARKIE [ ELECTRICIAN ] THE PROBE IS IN A BOTTLE OF WATER AND IS INSIDE THE FREEZER. WHAT I HAVE DONE, I HAVE SET THE TEMPERATURE TO 3C, THE DIFFERENTIAL [ TEMP. CALIBRATION ] IS SET TO 6C, THE COMPRESSOR [ DELAY PROTECTION ] IS SET AT 10 MINUTES. NOW WHAT HAPPENS IS THE FREEZER WILL FREEZE AT 10C WHEN SET AT ITS HIGHEST SETTING AND WILL FREEZE AT 5C WHEN SET AT ITS LOWEST SETTING. LIKE BIERNUT HAS SUGGESTED [digital thermo is out of the loop and not cutting the freezer off ] HOW CAN I FIX THIS. WHAT WILL I HAVE TO SET THE [ FRIDGEMATE DEI-105AE ] TO MAKE IT WORK. THANKS AGAIN CHEERS WAYNE
wayne

Postby gregb » Monday Nov 10, 2008 9:02 am

Wayne,

The use of all upper case implies that you are YELLING AT US!
gregb

Postby wayne » Monday Nov 10, 2008 10:13 am

gregb thanks for letting me know cheers mate wayne
wayne

Postby Biernut » Monday Nov 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Ok Wayne before we jump into this and try and sort out your problem I have to ask the question, have you got a specification, data, and instruction sheet for your unit.
Biernut

Postby wayne » Monday Nov 10, 2008 1:05 pm

biernut yes i have got a specification, data, and instruction sheet for my unit.if you go to this site you can download the same one i have ( http://mashmaster.com.au/p/365732/dei-1 ... r-kit.html ) if that does not work try ( mashmaster.com.au and look for dei-105-fridge-controller ) cheers wayne
wayne

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Nov 10, 2008 5:46 pm

So am I correct in saying that the fridgemate tells you that the probe is reading a temp of 10C but the contents of the freezer are actually frozen? Are you sure it is not at -10C? The - symbol is a bit hard to see on that one I think?

I dont think it would be that the probe is malfunctioning because it gives an error if the connection is broken. Have you tried to e-mail them? or... if you bought it from Ross give him a call...
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Biernut » Monday Nov 10, 2008 7:21 pm

Wayne as Kev has an interest in your problem I will let him step you through it. You do not say whether the unit is new and under warranty and if it is I would be sure that all options have been exhausted before you come to the conclusion that the unit is faulty. Because a troubleshooter is not on the site he has to make a few assumptions like is the unit wired correctly. Has the user followed all the instructions to the letter and avoided any false or misleading instructions (yes manufacturers do make mistakes). Are you noting any error messages and acting on them. Some manufactures will charge you for their time if you send equipment back as U/S and they find nothing wrong with it and last but not least the more information you can give regarding what the unit is telling you on the display the easier it is to resolve the problem. Yes I do have all relevant info for this temp controller on file.
Biernut

Postby wayne » Tuesday Nov 11, 2008 8:11 am

thanks biernut for your time. hi kev, freezer and unit is new and under warranty,i am not getting any error messages, yess i did buy the temp controller from ross.i had the sparkey out last night and the unit is wired correctly. we had a littli play with it again last night and it appears to be working ( fingers crossed ) what we did last night, we set admin, t.set to 3 deg, diff 0 deg, comp 0 deg and defr 0 deg. in user mode we set, t.set to 3 deg, diff to 2 deg, comp to 0 deg and defr to 0 deg. at these settings the bottle of water, the probe is in has avery thin film of ice and does not totally freeze, as the freezer is empty this may change when full ( in user mode the t.set temperature will reflect the temp you want your beer freezer-fridge to be set at, that’s normally a bit of a personal thing, anywhere between 2 deg and 7 deg should be fine.) i have put a 23 lts keg in ( filled with water ) to see how cold it gets. will keep you posted. cheers wayne.
wayne

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Nov 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Glad to hear you are getting it sorted. Let us know if you need any further help.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby wayne » Wednesday Nov 12, 2008 6:57 am

hi kev i will keep you and all in the loop. at the moment i am adjusting the degs by 1 ( decreasing ) so as to find the setting for the best beer pouring temp ( example so the lines do not freeze ) cheers wayne
wayne

Postby wayne » Wednesday Nov 12, 2008 3:22 pm

hi kev i have taken some pics but dont know how to post them if you can help great cheers wayne
wayne

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Nov 13, 2008 10:15 am

You can upload the images on this website:

http://imageshack.us/

Then copy and paste the BBCode forum links it makes into your post here.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Boonie » Thursday Nov 13, 2008 11:19 am

Or Photobucket

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby wayne » Thursday Nov 13, 2008 1:09 pm

kev this link should have photos if not cocked up http://profile.imageshack.us/user/waynehalfcharged/i have listed 6 photos you may have to gointo my ophtos on the top bar
wayne

Postby warra48 » Thursday Nov 13, 2008 2:50 pm

I use Photobucket.
It's free, and you can edit and resize your photos as needed.
Once you have uploaded the photos into Photobucket, just right click on the last of the 4 lines under each photo, copy it, and then just paste that into your post. The photo will upload automatically when you submit your post. Easy as.
warra48

Postby wayne » Thursday Nov 13, 2008 5:16 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
wayne

Postby Kevnlis » Friday Nov 14, 2008 9:38 am

A recirc fan or two may be useful to help keep the temp more constant in the fridge as well. I found it made a big difference with my setup.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Next

Return to General discussion