Ballarat Uni - Brewing Short Course

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Ballarat Uni - Brewing Short Course

Postby WSC » Thursday Jan 08, 2009 9:34 am

Hi all,

I am considering taking the first step to see if brewing is my thing, not just as a hobby.

I have found this short course:
http://www.ballarat.edu.au/ard/sci-eng/ ... scmb.shtml

It's not cheap and I will be travelling from Brisbane to do it.

Has anyone else completed this course? If so what are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Wade
WSC

Re: Ballarat Uni - Brewing Short Course

Postby Smabb » Thursday Jan 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Looks interesting WSC, especially the "sensory enhancement" sessions :)

You'd have to think it'd be a good leg up into working in the field, either as a business operator or an employee. If nothing else you should make some good contacts whilst doing it.
Smabb

Postby WSC » Thursday Jan 08, 2009 4:30 pm

That's what I'm thinking. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Any accountants online??? I want some advice on how I can write the course off on tax......might be hard as I work in telco marketing.....
WSC

Postby James L » Friday Jan 09, 2009 10:34 am

I thought about writing it off on tax, but unless you are in the industry, its gonna be quite difficult..

I'm going to be doing my course through IBD.. via correspondance.. company is paying though...

All those brewing books i've always wanted but were too expensive to consider can now be written off too... plus.. as far as i know... 1000 dollars worth of beer every year (not allowed the same beer more than once, and you are only allowed one bottle) This is for personal development of course.... I do need to find out more about that....
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Bizier » Friday Jan 09, 2009 1:58 pm

James L wrote:1000 dollars worth of beer every year (not allowed the same beer more than once, and you are only allowed one bottle) This is for personal development of course.... I do need to find out more about that....

Isn't it nice that some Belgians release 750mls
Bizier

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Jan 09, 2009 3:20 pm

WSC wrote:Hi all,

I am considering taking the first step to see if brewing is my thing, not just as a hobby.

I have found this short course:
http://www.ballarat.edu.au/ard/sci-eng/ ... scmb.shtml

It's not cheap and I will be travelling from Brisbane to do it.

Has anyone else completed this course? If so what are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Wade

Wasabi on the aussiehomebrewer forum did brewing training at Ballarat Uni - why not PM him for his thoughts? I've had good / +ve feedback on the course and it's a well regarded stepping stone for those of us who want to live the dream...

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Jan 11, 2009 10:31 am

The short course is a great way to learn a bit more about brewing and give yourself a better chance at getting into the industry.

I am currently doing a degree at UoB and I work with these people every day. Top blokes and very knowledgable. Wasabi from AHB has completed the degree and now runs the beer awards out there (amoungst other things). Feel free to contact him, I am sure he would be more than willing to answer and inquiries you have (as would I if you want to e-mail me).

The backpackers in Ballarat is right on the bus route and only $200 per week for a private locked room. All good people there, and its only 2 blocks from Dan Murphys! ;)

There is a shuttle bus from Melbourne airport that takes you right into Ballarat so travel is pretty cheap and painless!

Honestly the only downfall to this course is as you say, the cost. But from what I have seen it would be well worth the money if you were serious about getting into the business (I wouldnt really recommend anyone start a brewing business without some formal education).
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Another Fantastic Brewing Short Course

Postby costanzo » Thursday Jun 09, 2011 3:43 pm

for those of you who may not be aware there is another short brewing course that can give you plenty of information, tips and knowledge on the art of brewing good consistent beer.
You will also have the opportunity to brew on a commercial microbrewery which is the highlight of the course.
And if that's not enough it is the best value for money anywhere in Australasia.
ie the cost is under $1000 and is not short on anything, as judged by past students.

“ Best course I have ever done, bar none ”
– David (06/04/11)

“ I have completed this course and HIGHLY recommend it to anybody who is thinking about it. Hell, I’m even considering going again… Anyone looking to increase AG knowledge or make the move to AG should consider. And yes, you will produce a fantastic beer during the course!!! ”
– Dean

And it is most likely available in your State.
For further information see http://www.costanzobrewing.com/home-brewing-courses
costanzo

Return to General discussion