Australia v India

Other topics - beer-related or not.

What will be the result of the Australia vs. India Test Match?

Poll ended at Friday Nov 05, 2004 4:17 pm

Australia win
83%
India win
No votes
Drawn Series
17%

Total votes : 12

Australia v India

Postby Franky » Wednesday Oct 06, 2004 4:17 pm

Well the Australian cricket campaign has kicked off in India and few things go together better than beer and test match cricket. My mate has cable, so I might try to get over there with some brew.

In commemoration of this mighty event, I thought I might brew a Border-Gavaskar Indian Pale Ale. Anyone got any recipes for an Indian Pale Ale?

Cheers, Franky.
Franky

Postby gregb » Wednesday Oct 06, 2004 5:39 pm

Coopers Brewmaster Series India Pale Ale with a bag of body brew. Yeast as supplied. Bottle and let it sit in the cellar till the Aus v. India test series is next played in Aus.

The hardest part of this recipie is the patience once it is in the bottle.

Cheers,

Greg.
gregb

Postby Franky » Thursday Oct 07, 2004 1:24 pm

thanks greg - I might only do it if the Aussies win! Otherwise I may need to brew something that is ready a bit quicker in order to drown my sorrows.

Or perhaps I'll brew it and only drink it during India vs Australia test matches!
Franky

Postby Franky » Thursday Oct 07, 2004 1:26 pm

Also didn't Clarkey bat beautifully on debut?! I reckon they'll push about 400 runs before being bowled out. Only the bowlers to come after Gilly or Clarke get out...

What a great match so far.
Franky

Postby morry » Thursday Oct 07, 2004 10:53 pm

Go the aussies. I reckon theyll pull it off this time. Nice work from Clarke, 151 on debut.
morry

Postby gregb » Sunday Oct 10, 2004 4:24 pm

In other great news, my IPA ( with Ultra brew, I love an experiment) turned in fine drinking after just 22 days in the bottle. Not as good as the one I had earlier this year, but it had been lazing in the bottle for about 2 years.

Cheers,

Greg.
gregb

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Oct 10, 2004 11:27 pm

Someday, not today or here, some one will have to explain the game to me so it makes sense. Otherwise it is just a week long piss up, not that there is anything wrong with that either, but sometimes it nice to know what you are cheering for

Congrats by the way

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Franky » Monday Oct 11, 2004 7:06 am

Australia wins the first test in crushing style!

Dogger, cricket is one of the finest games in the world - one of subtle nuance and variety (and good for a five day drinking session). It's well worth learning about (however it may be difficult to get tv coverage where you are).

I found a site that explains cricket in terms of baseball (it's for Americans, but I figure you'll understand baseball):

http://members.tripod.com/~sccwa/crick.html

Also check out http://www.baggygreen.com.au for progress on the Australian Cricket team.

Or for a more local perspective: http://www.canadacricket.com/
Franky

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Oct 11, 2004 7:43 am

Franky,

I don't know what I would do with out you. Thanks mate. Coverage does happen over here, how do you think I knew Aus ruled.

In return, I will teach you the coolest game on earth, Curling, Thats right the other sport on ice, which I might add involves drinking by the players, which makes it really good and rates it with darts and bowling as far as I am concerned.

And I bet you thought I was going to say Ice Hockey although I can teach you that to if the overpaid wankers who supposedly play the game ever get off strike (only the fans get to drink if you can afford it and don't mind drinking the locals re-work for 10 bucks a glass) On a personel; note, my screw ups only cost about 10 bucks for a two four (your wedge).

Imagine selling your boo boo beer for that cost and people buy it. We are in the wrong biz I think but that is for another day.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Super Max Power » Monday Oct 11, 2004 2:51 pm

Dogger,

We play a game over here called lawns bowls - I imagine it is very similar to Curling. You throw a big ball at a little ball and whoever gets closer wins. Drinking while playing is mandatory.

However. like already stated - Cricket goes for 5 days and is therfore the ultimate in spectator drinking sports.
Super Max Power

Postby rain » Monday Oct 11, 2004 5:06 pm

Ah say Chaps, cricket is not SPORT or A GAME. What it jolly well is is a Gentlemanly past-time, what?
Those reckless fellows who, it seems, are paid and don't wear the fashionable "cricketing creams" are simply not gentlemen, you know. :shock:
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby Franky » Tuesday Oct 12, 2004 8:13 pm

Well yes - Bradman did think that the creams were more dapper than the whites and who can argue with the greatest batsman who ever lived? Except maybe that he didn't really indulge in a beer after matches...

Sad news about Keith Miller. Now there was a lad who was playing a "gentleman's pastime"... and he definitely would have had a few pints after a hard day in the field.
Franky

Postby rain » Tuesday Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm

Yes, it is sad to see the 'real' oldies passing.
Miller was definitely a huge part of the very successful team that contributed to much of the acclaim Bradman gained.
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby grabman » Wednesday Oct 13, 2004 10:41 am

Yet another explanation of our great game:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he is out. When they are all out, the side that's been out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

Sorry Dogger, hope it doesn't confuse you too much!!!!

Simon
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Franky » Wednesday Oct 13, 2004 10:49 am

That was cruel Grab! But nonetheless cricket is a funny old game and that illustrates it perfectly!

Try this Dogger:

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/hosking/ ... nation.htm
Franky

Postby Franky » Wednesday Oct 13, 2004 10:50 am

BTW Grab, you don't have a drinking problem. You have a drinking solution!
Franky

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Oct 14, 2004 6:23 am

Grabman,

That part was all sraight, it these blokes with big uglies on and huge running starts and large attitudes heaving a ball at some sticks with nuts balanced precariously on top that I don't get Like the batter can't figure out where the ball is going? Whats the sense in that? See thats where the beer comes in, you should try doing it with half dozen under the belt. LOL

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Thursday Oct 14, 2004 10:10 am

Dogger, That's why they have a "drinks" break every so often, to allow the players to fuel up on top quality home brew!!!

But seriously if you get a good spin bowler then it can be hard to see where the ball is going, also sometimes a bowler is actually aiming at the "sticks with nuts", sometimes he is trying to get the batter to have a go at hitting the ball and is hoping for a miss-hit so the batter is caught!
I'll stop now before it gets really confusing, the best way to work it out is to watch a game with some one who knows how it works, if you're ever in Perth give me a call and we'll drink some brews abd work it all out.
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Oct 14, 2004 11:54 am

Grab

The wife has given me the thumbs up. Once I get the aeroplan miles in line I am on my way. Apparently I only have enough to get to the end of the runway in Toronto right now and that is after 15 years of saving them so I don't see it happening anytime soon. I would suggest meeting half way in Hawaii but they have crap beer there (Schlitz, Bud etc.) so that pretty much puts it out of the equation

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Thursday Oct 14, 2004 12:53 pm

Hey Dogger,

You keep saving your flight miles and I'll save mine at the rate they accumulate we may get together in about 2080 if we're lucky. Until then keep watchin' the game and keep brewing the good drop.

Simon
What's the problem?

grabman

Next

Return to General discussion