Evaporation of alcohol

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Evaporation of alcohol

Postby Terry » Sunday Jun 05, 2005 8:14 pm

Howdy all,

I read that alcohol has a boiling point of about 80 deg C, give or take a few, which would take a certain period of time to evaporate at that temperature. If the temperature is raised it would take less, so the question is - what is that period of time to evaporate the alcohol content of a liquid mixture. I ask this pointy headed question as my pregnant wife is feeling a little left out at the moment as she cannot enjoy a beverage with me of an evening. I was thinking of making a mulled wine but I am not sure how long is suffient to evaporate the aclohol content from the wine, that is if it totally evaporates.

Any ideas on this one?

Cheers,

Terry.
Terry

Postby anti-fsck » Sunday Jun 05, 2005 8:34 pm

OK, before this thread gets too far, I'll play mother.
Ask her to have a chat with her doctor about what is an acceptable/responsible consumption of alcohol during pregnancy. Any other advice offered in this forum could well be, well, dodgy at best.
Mulled wine is a bit of an acquired taste. If you go down that path, good luck convincing her it's a substitute for the real stuff. To me it has the kick of metho with none of the buzz.
imbibo caveo ne canis morsus vos
http://antifsck.dyndns.org
anti-fsck

Postby munkey » Sunday Jun 05, 2005 9:26 pm

im not shure but alcohol EVAPORATES at 40degrees. i think........ it is sunday.

someting is telling me that 80 is far to high, much highte than 80 and youl have sause...

just make her warm cordial.... she will never know :wink:
was it your idea to have the baby anyway :wink: :wink: :wink:
munkey

Postby Terry » Monday Jun 06, 2005 8:52 am

Nope, wasn't my idea and I had just about convnced her enough was enough, then .....

As for the alcohol levels during pregnancy, we both think that none is an appropriate amount, hence making mulled wine. I was hoping that having the wine on the boil for a few minutes would evaporate all of the alcohol out of it and make it safe for her. If not she will have to go without for a few more months.
Terry

Postby rain » Tuesday Jun 07, 2005 8:35 pm

Looked but cannot find a cook book which, I think, said when using wine in a recipe two minutes of simmering completely removes the alcohol from about a cup full. Now whether the amount is relevant I don't know, but the only sensation left is the taste - maybe the doctor will know the answer.
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby Goatee » Tuesday Jun 07, 2005 8:54 pm

i just made myself some mulled wine in a slow cooker. Let it sit for two hours..it didn't boil but was quite hot, however there was still alcohol in there. It would have been significanlty less than what it started with.

As for pregnancy advice im pretty sure a little alcohol isn't going to do much, but then my only medical background is lizards under a magnifying glass on a sunny day.

If you'd like the recipe i used give me a hoy
Goatee

Postby Friar » Tuesday Jun 07, 2005 9:03 pm

From Google

ETHYL ALCOHOL (ethanol, methyl corbinol, spirit of wine, grain alcohol, Everclear, 95%)
bp 78.32 C,

Being a father of three known progeny I highly recommend seeking the advice of your health care professional

F
I'm not as think as you drunk I am
Friar

Postby Terry » Wednesday Jun 08, 2005 8:12 am

Thanks for all the replies. :D

Goatee, if you wouldn't mind, could you please post your receipe as mine is a little boring.

My wife also suggested to flombay it (I think that is the correct term), like you do with the with brandy over the Christmas pudding. She seems to think that would get rid of all of the alcohol.

Thanks again,

Terry
Terry

Postby Goatee » Wednesday Jun 08, 2005 12:42 pm

2 Bottles of Wine (if it tastes like shit to begin with, the end result will be the same...but don't go overboard price wise either)
18 whole cloves
4 Cinnamon sticks
3 grams nutmeg (i used powdered stuff)
Zest of 1 Lemon
500 grams sugar (i'd use white table sugar, not dextrose :) )
500 ml Water

Add spices Lemon zest sugar and water in a saucepan, and dissolve the sugar. Boil it fairly well for 5 mins. Then let it stand for half an hour.
Strain spices and pour syrup into crock-pot? slow cooker with the wine. Leave it on low for 2 hours covered. Serve it hot obviously and chuck in a circle of lemon to float in your mug.

Not sure if that's overly fancy, but i really enjoy it. i had a cold and a couple of glasses my throat was great.

Also when you lift the lid breathe in all the steam :) alcohol vapour, i may not be able to drink it, but i sure as hell didn't let it just float off!

With the sugar, you might want to add slightly less, especially if your wine is already somewhat sweet.

Also to flambé (thanks to google for spelling) i don't think it would work with wine there being too much liquid and not enough fuel, but give it a shot.

Anyway happy drinking
Goatee

Return to General discussion