Locally Produced, Foreign Label Beer

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Locally Produced, Foreign Label Beer

Postby V1113B » Thursday Nov 19, 2009 10:43 am

A Crown Lager used to be enough to make the bogan look sophisticated. The “golden microphone” was in the right hand whenever a birthday speech, awards speech, or other special occasion occurred. Crown was first released to the Australian public to commemorate the Queen’s visit in 1954, allowing the bogan’s ancestors to seem more classy for Her Highness. But globalisation (and, perhaps, republicanism) has meant that the new bogan needs more. It now wants to communicate its national sophistication by drinking beers from other countries.

Initially, the two main local brewers (Foster’s and Lion Nathan) were fearful. If the new bogan didn’t want to drink local beers as much, how would they make money? After much hand-wringing and whiteboard scribbling, an answer appeared. The approach was made: “Dear European brewery, can we please get permission to make beer in Australia, pay you so we can put your label on it, and sell it to our bogans?” If the price was right, the answer was often “Yes”. Or “Ja!”, as it were.

And so it happened. Soon the shelves of the local bottle shop were seeing more Carlsberg, Beck’s, Stella Artois, and Heineken than ever before. And cheaper than it previously was, too. Now the new bogan could get his hands on a slab of European beer for under $45, and gain all of the credibility that a slender green bottle could confer. New bogan males wanted to be him, bogan females wanted to be with him. One night he was trying to pick up at a backpackers bar, and his international style caught the eye of a German girl. He bought her a stylish beer, which she spat out on the first sip, exclaiming “Zis is not Beck’s!” Correct analysis, Gretchen, the primary thing it has in common with the original product is the logo. The bogan looked at Gretchen quizzically, wondering whether she was having trouble reading the English alphabet.

Meanwhile, Foster’s and Lion Nathan were laughing all the way to the bank. European beers were generally sold in 330ml bottles instead of the Aussie standard 375ml. This effectively meant that they’d moved from selling 375ml slabs of locally made beer for $35, to selling 330ml slabs of locally made beer for $45. The licence fees only took up a small slice of this massive bogan windfall. But the new bogan is blissfully happy. He is now a man of the world, even when not wearing his Bintang singlet.

:D

Taken from http://thingsboganslike.wordpress.com/
V1113B

Re: Locally Produced, Foreign Label Beer

Postby Tipsy » Thursday Nov 19, 2009 12:15 pm

That should go under the beer poetry thread :lol:
Tipsy

Postby lethaldog » Thursday Nov 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Wow m8 you deffinately have too much time on your hands, Brilliant though and i agree with Tipsy!!!
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby warra48 » Thursday Nov 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Classic.

Love the reference to Holdens being badged as Chevrolets in the link.
My brother-in-law is Skaife's cousin, and the easiest way to bait him is to engage in a debate about Ford vs Holden.
He asked me once "Well, which car won Bathurst?"
My answer: "Chevrolet".
Dead silence after that one.
warra48

Postby lob » Monday Nov 23, 2009 5:22 am

A tad bogan I know, but maybe we should look at printing up some T-Shirts. I looked at CafePress, but they're a fricken rip-off. This place (below) will do screen printing with 2 colours for $8.95 (includes the t-shirt) for quantities over 50, or $13.95 for quantities under 50. I'd pay HomebrewandBeer $20 for a well designed T-Shirt.

As for the T-Shirt design, maybe a clever drawing, based on the famous Obama Poster, showing labels being removed from bottles of New and being replaced with Stella labels by workers under sweat shop conditions, and some rich-wanker laughing in the background with a wad of $100 bills in his hand, saying "these bogans are so dumb." Then, printed at the bottom, some clever anti poor labeling and/or brewed under license slogan (that I can't think of right now.)

http://www.customyourshirt.com/pages.php?page=over

I'd like to walk into a pub with Stella on tap wearing such a T-Shirt : )
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Return to General discussion