What are you drinking now?

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: What are you drinking now?

Postby warra48 » Saturday Mar 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Drinking one of my Milds.
Lovely malty brew, with subtle dark malt characters from the carafa special II, and nice body and character from a mix of crystal malts.
And the beauty is, it's only 3.6% ABV, but lacks nothing in taste.
warra48

Postby Bum » Saturday Mar 13, 2010 5:37 pm

Mad Brewers Orchard Ale is pretty yuck. Cider mixed with flat VB. Do not want.
Bum

Postby Bum » Saturday Mar 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Bridge Road Brewers Galaxy Single Hop IPA. Wow, this bottle is awful. Inclined towards blaming handling because I haven't heard a single bad word about this beer prior. Doesn't seem infected just brutally harsh - not just in the bitterness but in flavour too. Pretty rank.

(To counter an obvious rebuttal - my favourite beer so far clocks in at 74IBU so it is not simply a matter of me not liking bitter beers)
Bum

Postby Finnagann » Sunday Mar 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Paddockwood's double IPA, Loki. Bloody delicious. So far I havn't been a big fan of the american citrous hops but this one is warming me up to them. There's a definite cascade bite at the front of a whole hoppin medley with a nice smooth malty back. The brewer told me it comes in at ~80 IBU... I could drink it all night regardless :shock:
Finnagann

Postby Bum » Sunday Mar 14, 2010 7:54 pm

Nogne-O IPA - Very interesting English/US hybrid. Only my second beer from this brewery but I am already very impressed with their work. Can't wait to try some more of their wares.
Bum

Postby Bum » Monday Mar 15, 2010 9:36 pm

Good Lord! Is Sierra Nevada's Porter a lovely beer or what? Travels much better than their PA. Grab it if you stumble across a bottle.
Bum

Postby Bum » Wednesday Mar 17, 2010 11:27 pm

Just got back from the Fed Square Micro Breweries Showcase.

Arctic Fox American Pale Ale - smelled great, tasted...not as good as mine.
Bridge Road Celtic Red - way too sweet for me.
Bright Brewery Staircase Porter - Meh.
Coldstream Naked Ale - Servicible pale ale that did nothing to distinguish itself from basically every other PA there.
Coldstream Porter - alright but wouldn't bother trying to replicate.
Grand Ridge Moonshine - Really nice actually. Was very surprised because I have had nothing but bad experiences with them in the bottle before.
Grand Ridge Hatlifter - Alright but seems like Moonshine's little brother. Pale is comparison.
Grand Ridge Supershine - Served at room temp (undercover but basically outdoors on a 30+ degree day). Hard to judge this way but did seem like it would be an impressive beer cooler. Nice aroma, colour and body. Flavour a tad harsh hot but certainly good enough for me to try it again.
Hawthorn Brewing Premium Pale Ale - Not bad at all.
Holgate Mt Macedon Pale Ale - See Coldstream Naked Ale.
Holgate Temptress - Not bad.
Mountain Goat Steam Ale - Well, it least it isn't blonde or low carb. May as well be though.
Mountain Goat Rapunzel - Really didn't like this beer but I think it might be the style not agreeing with me rather than the beer being sub-par.
Red Duck Porter - Alright.
Sweetwater Pale Ale - See Coldstream Naked Ale.
Three Troupers Pale Ale - Nice enough.
True South Summer Ale - Tipped it.
Tooborac Stomemasons Pale Ale - Tipped it - possibly infected.

And ...uh...2 more I can't remember...for some strange reason.
Bum

Postby Bum » Thursday Mar 18, 2010 8:55 pm

Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale - I wasn't much of a fan of their Dead Guy Ale. It was an okay beer I guess but I guess it didn't live up to expectation (both reputation and name, I guess). Was convinced I should try the DDG a little later. Only got around to it now. Very interesting beer. A little sweeter on the nose than I like but big, bold fruit along side. Fruit comes through in the flavour, stonefruit mostly I guess. Fair bit of caramel (almost to toffee but not quite). Lovely bitterness up front but doesn't quite hang around as long as I'd like (probably longer than many others might though). Finishes dry (for the sweetness of the beer, I mean) but with something similar to a hint of chocolate but not quite. Some pleasant warm alc. This one is supposedly all Cascade and while there is a definite citrus element it isn't coming across like any other Cascade dominated beer I've had before.
Bum

Postby Bizier » Thursday Mar 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Some Belgian blond I brewed for a swap.

I am a little sad to say that it is a little autolysed. I guess it is because the particular yeast has a very fast metablolism.
It is generally pretty nice, though it has a bit of a peanut flavour that I think could have otherwise been avoided.
Bizier

Postby Bum » Friday Mar 19, 2010 8:55 pm

My latest ginger beer - dry 'hopped' with curry leaves.

Not quite what I was aiming for but still interesting and very much drinkable.
Bum

Postby Wassa » Saturday Mar 20, 2010 10:13 am

My Coopers Amarillo Pale Ale....yummy brew served cold
The liver is Evil and must be punished!!
Wassa

Postby Bum » Saturday Mar 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Another Sclenkerla Rauchbier Urbock again. Pretty disappointed this time. Detecting some sourness.
Bum

Postby Bum » Sunday Mar 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Rogue Brutal Bitter - Man, the new version (Willamette for bittering) is actually a slight improvement on what was already a fave of mine.
Bum

Postby WSC » Wednesday Mar 31, 2010 4:20 pm

My Saison, Choc Stout (using Saison Yeast) and APA........man i love this brewing caper and I love having a few different styles on the go at once.....
WSC

Postby bvlbrewer » Wednesday Apr 07, 2010 1:42 pm

hoegarden grand cru

best drop EVER ! :!:
ok then,just one.(how many times have i mutterred these words and not meant it ?)
bvlbrewer

Postby Bum » Sunday Apr 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen. Only ever had the Urbock and Weizen before. Love the Urbock to bits but hate the Weizen. What did I think of this one? Not quite as good as the Urbock but still a tremendous beer.
Bum

Postby drsmurto » Monday Apr 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Bum wrote:Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen. Only ever had the Urbock and Weizen before. Love the Urbock to bits but hate the Weizen. What did I think of this one? Not quite as good as the Urbock but still a tremendous beer.

Had that yesterday as part of the BJCP study group.

Loved it! As did quite a few of us who are now planning some smoked beers.

I reckon a smoked robust porter would be delish!
drsmurto

Postby Bum » Monday Apr 12, 2010 1:20 pm

I think NickB has a smoked porter in the DB at AHB that is very well regarded by other brewers. On my to brew list, can't work out if I'll do it before I attempt a Schlenkerla Urbock or not.

Chase down the Urbock if you're able. It is, to my palate, very similar but a much fuller experience. I'd definitely settle for the Marzen if I had to however. They only bottle the Urbock once a year (October) so last years should still be very good drinking but I've recently found some (BB mid this year?) that seem to be thinning out a little somehow? Look for 2011 ones.
Bum

Postby warra48 » Monday Apr 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Had a Budějovický Budvar, on tap from an imported keg, at the Beach House Café (in Port Macq) at lunch today.

Crystal clear, obviously filtered. Nice slightly sweet malty nose, with little, if any, hop aroma. Taste was very smooth, initially with the malt sweetness (not a crystal type sweetness, but a light Bohemian Malt sweetness), with very soft hops. As the glass went down, the hop bitterness came more to the fore once I'd swallowed the beer. Overall, very balanced, very enjoyable. Far ahead of any Aus standard lager.
warra48

Postby drsmurto » Monday Apr 12, 2010 2:56 pm

warra48 wrote:Had a Budějovický Budvar, on tap from an imported keg, at the Beach House Café (in Port Macq) at lunch today.

Crystal clear, obviously filtered. Nice slightly sweet malty nose, with little, if any, hop aroma. Taste was very smooth, initially with the malt sweetness (not a crystal type sweetness, but a light Bohemian Malt sweetness), with very soft hops. As the glass went down, the hop bitterness came more to the fore once I'd swallowed the beer. Overall, very balanced, very enjoyable. Far ahead of any Aus standard lager.

My lager of choice if drinking commercial!

There isn't an Aussie mega-lager (standard or premium) that comes close
drsmurto

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion