What are you drinking now?

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: What are you drinking now?

Postby Anna » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 4:49 pm

So now we know what I drank, doesn't anyone agree with me that it tastes like sarsparilla??

Anyone???? :roll:
Anna

Postby warra48 » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 5:05 pm

Can't say I've ever picked the character up myself. I think what you might be tasting is the contribution by the Munich, Cara, and darker malts, as well as the taste of the higher alcohol level. Still, however you perceive it, you'll be able to recognise it like that in future! Just take a look at some of the ridiculous taste descriptors used in wine tasting. Apparently they mean things to the taster, although other individuals will perceive it differently.

My clones were very complex tasting with all sorts of different malt flavours fighting each other for dominance when they were fresh, although they did mellow out as they matured. I drank some of mine at close to 12 months old, and they were well integrated by then.

Based on bullfrog's definition of a slant, I don't use slants. I use small tubes to store my yeasts. They're like the White Labs tubes, only smaller.
warra48

Postby Anna » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 5:15 pm

So much to learn, so many to taste, so little time....

PS: I've decided to go beer-free during the week now since stepping on the scales this morning - I've put on 4 kgs since I started my beer addiction just over a year ago! :x
Anna

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 5:19 pm

Didn't read your slant response Warra. It's what i used to do before i started re-using yeastcakes and top cropping. I had dozens of 50mL tubes in racks with several strains. They eventually went off so i ditched them and haven't done it since. I don't think they have a shelf life of much over 6 months but that depends on how anal you are with sterilising - with yeast storage and slanting you have to go beyond sanitising and operate in sterile conditions.

Bullfrog's definition is correct.

Have a read of this if you are interested in slanting- Link

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. Anna, I like to go alcohol free during the week as well although its not a rule, more of a guideline. I was cooking up a stew last night (beef bourguignon) which required 1/2 a bottle of wine. Seems a waste not to drink the other half.
drsmurto

Postby warra48 » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 6:14 pm

I feel for you, Anna, giving up beer would be tough.

I recently read a book called "Sweet Poison". Bought it at Angus & Robertson. It's written by an Aussie author, and I got onto it after hearing an interview with him on radio about a month back. It proposes the theory that the issue with weight gain by modern man and woman is related to consumption of sugar, and more particularly the fructose part of sugar.

For the last 3 to 4 weeks I've taken that on board, and eliminated sugar as far as I can from my diet. You'd be amazed how much sugar is in lots of processed or pre-pepared foods or food items. Lots of them trumpet the "low fat" message, but make up for it by loading up with sugar instead. I eat everything else the same, and drink the same amount of beer and wine. The author is OK with beer, as the sugar from wort is maltose, which is not a problem. I still eat fruit which, of course, contains fructose, but that is balanced by the fact it comes with the fibre from the fruit, and is a relatively small amount. So far, it's worked for me, and I've dropped about 4 kg since I've started on this. I've not changed my exercise regime.

Initially it was tough to do without my sweets, chocolates, and desserts (Ihave the world's worst sweet tooth) , but I've gotten used to it.
warra48

Postby Bum » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Oh god, DrSmurto. After trying a few fruit lambics a while back with SWMBO I was pretty intrigued with the idea of a "proper" lambic. I got a Cantillion 100% bio lambic and to this day I don't know if it was infected or just not for me - haven't been brave enough to try it (or others) since. However, I did recently discover that sour belgians might be in my sweet spot for this type of beer.

Anna, same thing happened to me when I started brewing - going dry during the week is actually much easier than you think, a couple of days and you won't even notice the difference.
Bum

Postby Anna » Wednesday Jun 09, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for the tips guys! Warra, being female, I've been on a "diet" most of my life and have become something of an "expert" on the subject. And as a result of always keeping my calorie intake down to around 1200-1400 a day I have managed to keep my weight down to 52-54 kg UP UNTIL I STARTED DRINKING BEER!!!!! I never eat lollies, chocolates, desserts, biscuits, soft drinks or have sugar in my tea, so I can only assume (sob, sob) that it's the beer. It's a very fine balance, and the few glasses of beer a day I've become accustomed to have obviously put me enough over the limit to start piling on the weight. Lucky Warra, that you can lose 4kg and not miss out on the lovely stuff. :(

My son-in-law said he read somewhere that beer is actually as addictive as nicotine, and I'm starting to believe it, because lately on my long drive home from work all I can think about is my first lovely cold glass of HB! I just hope, Bum, that you're right about it being easier than I'm thinking, but in the meantime - weekend roll on!!! :mrgreen:

PS: Exercise regime? :shock: Does lifting a beer mug qualify? :wink:
Anna

Postby SuperBroo » Thursday Jun 10, 2010 2:49 pm

i try not to have a beer during the week, but like Doc, its a guideline not a rule,

as for the name of ths thread, I am currently dring a Drsmurtos golden ale, and its absolutley lovely. :D
This will be my standard brew from now on, its awesome, and also the first brew i've kegged, I certainly wont miss all the bottle cleaning / filling, highly recommend it to anyone with space for a keg in a fridge :)

GO DOCKERS :)

Cheers,
Chris, WA
SuperBroo

Postby lob » Thursday Jun 10, 2010 6:36 pm

Rumpole Pale at Wig and Pen, Canberra. Good to be back in Oz I guess...although the beers were $1.75 at Bricktown Brewery Oklahoma City...$7.00 here at Wig and Pen : (

Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby Bum » Thursday Jun 10, 2010 11:29 pm

Tonight has been:

Barons ESB - which I was revisiting because I disliked it early on but my tastes have changed so thought I'd have another crack at it. Turns out I still don't like it. There's something kinda ugly in the tail end for me.

Zeitgeist Black Lager - Having it again because I was in the mood. My favourite BrewDog beer and they don't even put their name on it. Weird.
Bum

Postby rotten » Friday Jun 11, 2010 12:31 am

My second batch of Amarillo Pale Ale. First one already gone (bugger) Second one even better, increased bittering addition slightly and at 3-4 weeks old has paid off immensely. Shame it will be gone in a week at this rate.
Cheers.
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby rotten » Wednesday Jun 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Bought 4 stubbies of aussie beer to try. Fat Yak, loved it, brewing a clone when ale fermenter free. James squire Pilsenner, loved it. James Squire Amber Ale, not a fan. Bees Neez, could acquire a taste for it eventually.
Cheers.
rotten

Postby Bum » Sunday Jun 20, 2010 2:13 pm

Beers of the last week: 3 varieties of Tsing Tao ("regular" green label, silver label and silver green "2000" label), Anchor Red Crown, Pearl River Draught, Stoutbeer and a couple beers with no English on them whatsoever. With the exception Anchor and Stoutbeer these all tasted like water. Anchor tasted of boiled vegetables and Stoutbeer tasted of equal parts BUL Guinness, water and sarsaparilla.

Never going to China again if I can help it.
Bum

Postby warra48 » Sunday Jun 20, 2010 3:41 pm

Just finished a Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. Yummy, but not one I'd want to drink as a session beer.
warra48

Postby rotten » Sunday Jun 20, 2010 8:55 pm

Never had a stout before tonight. southwarks old stout, at least i know not to brew a full batch. First Little Creatures Pale Ale was great, Coopers 62 Pilsener tasted like Tooheys Dry Premium which isn't a good thing. Thank god for the Fat Yak to finish.
Cheers.
rotten

Postby Bum » Sunday Jun 20, 2010 9:37 pm

First bottle of Pliny the Elder. If I'd never had this on tap I'd probably be speaking quite positively of this beer - but I have and it is an absolute masterpiece, the bottle pales.
Bum

Postby big dave » Monday Jun 21, 2010 9:39 am

Hey Bum

Where can we find it on tap?
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby Bum » Monday Jun 21, 2010 9:46 am

America.
Bum

Postby big dave » Monday Jun 21, 2010 3:27 pm

:mrgreen:

OK, it might have to wait....
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby Tipsy » Monday Jun 21, 2010 10:08 pm

Drinking my Barleywine that's coming up to two years in the bottle. Just hitting its straps.
Tipsy

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion