What are you drinking now?

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: What are you drinking now?

Postby SuperBroo » Tuesday Jun 22, 2010 8:36 am

Had a James Squire Golden Ale in stubbies from the bottle shop on the weekend, its not a patch on Drsmurtos recipe...

Now on to nice Greman Ale, which everyone loves, then the next one which is ready now, is a Kolsch.

Havent had a bad brew since I started AG brewing :)

cheers,
Chris
SuperBroo

Postby rotten » Wednesday Jul 14, 2010 11:30 am

Saaz Canadian Blonde, with a good bittering add of Tett. Smooth and Creamy with a bit of bite.
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby earle » Wednesday Jul 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Not quite drinking yet but picked up some Matilda Bay Long Shot and some more White Rabbit Dark Ale from Dan Murphy's in Mackay last night. They also had Montieths Doppelbock as well. Was sorely tempted to purchase the fine trifecta but the budget didn't stretch that far.
earle

Postby Bum » Sunday Jul 18, 2010 9:31 pm

Southern Tier Un-Earthly IIPA - Grassiness is a little too forward for my tastes. If it were wound back a touch I'd say this beer was tremendous. As it stands it is only very good. A nice bit of cirtus hopping and caramel crystal can be found if you really search behind the grass.
Bum

Postby earle » Monday Jul 19, 2010 9:56 am

Had one of the Matilda Bay long shots on the weekend. Between the roasted malts and the coffee the flavour is quite intense. I think on their website they describe that it is a challenging beer.
earle

Postby rotten » Monday Jul 19, 2010 11:42 am

earle wrote:Had one of the Matilda Bay long shots on the weekend. Between the roasted malts and the coffee the flavour is quite intense. I think on their website they describe that it is a challenging beer.

Was it good though?
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby earle » Monday Jul 19, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm undecided. Its not a bad beer but I did have some trouble finishing it due to the intensity. The same could be said for some Belgian beers when I first tasted some of them, now I think they're good. It's definitely not like some other dark ales e.g. White Rabbit and Monteiths Doppleback which for me were instant winners. I purchased a four-pack so perhaps after another taste I'll be able more able to form an opinion.
earle

Postby Bum » Monday Jul 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Tonight:
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Well past its prime but a nice, firm bitterness up front so that's enough for me.
Southern Tier IPA - Not a brilliant example of the style but a reminder of how Australian breweries approach this style from a completely different angle and why that angle is wrong. Enjoyed it more in my head than in my mouth but still a good beer.
Renaissance Craftsman Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Very girly beer but bloody delicious.
Bum

Postby Bum » Tuesday Jul 20, 2010 9:44 pm

The first sub par Rogue Brutal Bitter I've ever had. I was beginning to think this beer was bulletproof but, no, apparently not. Not terrible but if the first had been like this there probably wouldn't have been a second.
Bum

Postby Bum » Thursday Jul 22, 2010 12:27 am

Renaissance MPA IIPA - Nowhere near as good as it was when I had it last year. Still a decent beer but last time it changed how I thought about beer. This time it was just a slightly muddled attempt at an AIPA. Comparatively muted bitterness up front (still maybe too much for some, however), ridiculous fruit flavour, little lingering bitterness, confused but strong maltiness.
Bum

Postby Bum » Friday Jul 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Brewdog 5AM Saint - You know what? I'm sick of this brewery's bullshit. They talk the talk but they don't walk the walk. Zeitgeist is the only one of theirs that is any good (that I've had) and they don't even put their name on it. The aroma is nice but everything else is amateurish. Rough bitterness hides malt.

Rougue XS RIS - Very nice beer. Only flaw is that I think the alc could be a little better hidden considering the strong flavours they've got going on. But that really is niggling.
Bum

Postby Bum » Saturday Jul 24, 2010 10:25 pm

Brewdog Bashah - Brewdog have gone a long way to redeeming themselves for me with this one. Very nice beer.
Bum

Postby Bum » Saturday Jul 24, 2010 11:11 pm

Back in to the Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbocks. My word, I do love this beer.
Bum

Postby Bum » Sunday Jul 25, 2010 9:21 pm

Then: Flying Horse Dirty Angel - Really enjoyed this one on tap a few months back (even sought out a little help to design a clone). Now available in bottles? Hold me back! Turns out my excitement was unjustified. This is not an enjoyable beer.

Now: Sierra Nevada Porter - Yeah, still a nice beer. A bit stronger carbed than other times I've had it, however.
Bum

Postby Planner » Wednesday Jul 28, 2010 11:06 am

Been on a dark beer binge for the last couple of weeks:

White Rabbit Dark Ale, Matilda Bay Long Shot, Samuel Smiths Taddy Porter, Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout, Cascade Stout, Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout, Coopers BES, Abbotsford Invalid and plenty of dark HB.
Most enjoyable - SS Imperial, planning an attempt at a RIS this week.
Most surprising - Cascade Stout, I will be buying more of these, very drinkable (I only bought 1 stubbie to sample).
Also drank my last bottle of HB Double Choc Stout, so must get another batch brewed.
Still to try Brewdog Tokyo and Zeitgeist, but Ill leave these until later in the week.

Lucky there is no decent bottlo close, or this could easily get out of hand.

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jul 28, 2010 12:25 pm

Had a bottle of the 1998 Coopers Vintage Ale last night.

Gorgeous beer.
drsmurto

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Jul 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Had a sixer of the 2010 version the other night and its not bad either, still the 2008 has been my fav so far. Will put more 2010 away alongside the others. Mine only go back to 2005 :x :x :x

I'm currently drinking my doppelbock. BEST beer I've EVER made :D :D :D :D

Not too much of it though, it will sneek up on you :twisted:
chadjaja

Postby Bum » Friday Jul 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Mikkeller Big Worst - Holy hell! This beer is something else. The tiniest of sips tastes like a delicious, tangerine-y AIIPA. Normal tastings are massive malt, bigger bitterness and the hottest of alcs imaginable (even hotter than its 17.3% suggests). Have not been game to take a proper mouthful in case I begin to see in to the future.
Bum

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Jul 31, 2010 3:48 pm

Why the hell does everybody rave about Chimay Blue? Not saying that it was a bad beer, not even saying that I didn't enjoy it, but at $13 for a stubbie, I'm sure I could brew something damn close for the cost of half a six-pack. Naked profiteering from the sneakiest people on Earth; Trappist Monks. :P

Also picked up a Lambic (simply because I've never had one before) by the name of Timmerman's Peche, and, whilst it was definitely what I would call a "chick" beer, I absolutely loved it! $9.50 for a stubbie, but I went back and picked up two more. It's made me start designing recipes with peach in it, now.

Another beer I tried this past week was Lord Nelson's Pale Ale. It seemed extremely close to LCPA, to me, but with a bit less malt profile and a bit thinner in the body. All in all, a very sessionable beer, but when it was the same price as the LCPA, and the latter came with a free Little Creatures six-pack carry-bag, only one six pack was bought all week.

Couldn't believe how well stocked the small bottle-o in the small town we stayed in up the mountains was. Looked like your normal, little, corner-shop type bottle shop from the outside, then you get in and have a look at their beer selection -- I nearly fell over! With the selection they offered and the helpfulness and knowledge of all things plonk that their staff displayed, I could've buggered off our comfy guest cottage and stayed right in the middle of their shop. If anybody is heading up Katoomba way, be sure to stop in at D'Vine Cellars in Wentworth Falls. It's right on the Great Western Highway and is well worth the 20 second detour to get to it's parking lot!
bullfrog

Postby drsmurto » Monday Aug 02, 2010 2:24 pm

Pulled a keg of rye ESB through my handpump on Saturday.

Had several fellow brewers around to help me.

I'd happily sell my 3 tap font for another 2 handpumps and only ever serve my beer through them.

*Insert drool emoticon*
drsmurto

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion