Found a bargain

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Found a bargain

Postby Planner » Tuesday Feb 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Scored some plastic crates recently to store my tallies.
When in Echuca recently a shop was selling the old style glass soft drink bottles in plastic crates that hold 12 bottles (750ml). I bought a dozen softies and asked about buying some empty crates. It was my lucky day they were reduced by 100%, so $12 got me 6 crates (1 of them full of soft drink). Yesterday back in Echuca, I called in again to hopefully get some more (dad had seen and stolen a couple of mine to store his stout).
Another bargain, 20 crates for 2 bottles of HB. Apparently he is closing down the business and throwing out the crates and bottles. He told me to come back next week with another 2 HB's (plus the 2 already owed) and I can have another uteload, otherwise he has to pay to have them taken away (his recycle bin will only take so much).
Gone are the days of “rehousing” abandoned milk crates. An added advantage is 12 bottles is that little bit easier to lump around in the shed than 15 in a milk crate.
How do others control thier bottles during conditioning?

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Re: Found a bargain

Postby earle » Wednesday Feb 17, 2010 8:45 am

Cardboard tomato cases for me. Pop the lid on and they are nicely stackable. Holds 20 stubbies, 24 if they are slim like a pilsner urquell bottle. Depending on the design sometimes need to be careful supporting the base when carrying.
earle

Re: Found a bargain

Postby svyturys » Wednesday Feb 17, 2010 9:49 pm

What a find, Planner,
I use "hand me down" milk crates donated by another brewer on this forum.
I have never been able to work out why milk crates aren't sold. Coming from a musical background I am aware of them being "rehoused" by roadies since the 70's. There is no product to match them on the market. The toy crates that they sell for $12.00 are a very poor substitute.

cheers

Alan
"In the beginning was the wort..."
svyturys

Return to General discussion