AFL anyone

Other topics - beer-related or not.

AFL anyone

Postby rotten » Saturday Apr 24, 2010 11:04 pm

G'day all.
Firstly i must state that I'm a paid up Hawthorn supprter since birth ( a while ago now). I have seen many highs and lows in that time. In my opinion the best of these highs were the 1989 grand final and of course the 2008 grand final against geelong, and you can't go past the essendon Hawthorn finals in the 80''s either.

Tonight i watched Melbourne beat Brisbane, a game i thoroughly enjoyed. I picked Melbourne and Port for tonights games for interest sake.

I think it's great to see bottom of the ladder sides rise to the occasion again. All sides have been there, Hawthorn included (17 yrs between premierships if memory is correct). It's also great to see to see some good old fashioned contested ball come back into the game, especially in the forward line, and to see most sides, except for collingwood, try to come straight down the middle.

i don't like the holding the ball decisions where the guy who wants the ball gets penalised, while the guy who doesn't, waits to put the tackle on.

I would like to see Hawthorn make the grand final although can't see it happening after last few weeks efforts, can's see geelong or the saints getting there either.

My tip - Hawthorn and Bulldogs
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Re: AFL anyone

Postby rotten » Monday Apr 26, 2010 7:34 pm

Saints, Cats, Brisbane some of the loosers this week. Melbourne, Freo, Carlton and North some of the winners.
Come on pretend you're Barry Hall and fire up a bit.
rotten

Postby Chrisp » Tuesday Apr 27, 2010 9:24 pm

All sounds good to me rotten. your right though if you loose this weekend against the bombers, you can kiss the finals goodby. It makes it hard if your always waiting for players to come back. i am happy though got to watch my blue boys spank the cats. Not all good though, $7 for undrinkable beer in plastic cups. I did though get to go to Dan Murphys on th eway home ( dosnt happen often), picked up a bottle of hobgoblin ruby red & a bottle of double chocolate stout. Both good, i would have grabed more but they were closing. anyhow go Blues.
Chrisp

Postby rotten » Wednesday Apr 28, 2010 10:07 am

At least your team won, i flew to melbourne to watch hawks plat cats and we lost by 9 points after leading all day. Great game though and we haven't won since either. Better down the bombers.
Cheers
rotten

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday Apr 28, 2010 10:28 am

And nobody has even mentioned Sydney killing the Eagles by 52 points, yet. I'm disappointed, gents.

Cheer, cheer the red and the white, honour the name by day and by night, lift that noble banner high, shake down the thunder from the sky...

...Don't even need to be drunk to sing that one :P
bullfrog

Postby warra48 » Wednesday Apr 28, 2010 12:36 pm

bullfrog wrote:And nobody has even mentioned Sydney killing the Eagles by 52 points, yet. I'm disappointed, gents.

Cheer, cheer the red and the white, honour the name by day and by night, lift that noble banner high, shake down the thunder from the sky...

...Don't even need to be drunk to sing that one :P

Well, I thought of it, but then I'm not much of a football fan of any of the 4 codes.
That's despite working for the Swans' major sponsor for 24 years before retiring!
We actually had the 2005 cup in our office for all of us to handle after the 2005 Grand Final.
Not really the most impressive of trophies, unlike the league one. However, I guess league needs all the baubles etc to make the game at least somewhat attractive on the fringes, it has nothing else much going for it. AFL can stand on its own merits.

Flak jacket,flameproof suit, and anti-missile defences now all in place! :mrgreen: :shock: :lol: :twisted:
warra48

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm

I may need one of those suits, too Warra -- I happen to think that league is a game only played by meat-heads who's only chance at making a living is in an activity where they get paid to run headlong into other meat-heads.

I played half-time game at Paul Kelly's 200th [from memory...could have been the 500th, or something; a large milestone, in any case] game for the Swans, back when he was the skipper and I was just a young fella. I still have the Paul Kelly cardboard cut-out masks that they gave to everybody as they walked through the gates. Nothing compared to working for (I assume) QBE and having the premiership cup plonked right in front of you whilst your having your morning coffee and responding to your emails, but was cool all the same.

Ahh, memories :D
bullfrog

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Apr 28, 2010 2:55 pm

Please don't talk about the footy.

Cheers
DrSmurto - Crows fan :cry:
drsmurto

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday Apr 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Hey, you can't win 'em all, Doc. Well, I guess in your case, you can't win any at all! :P
bullfrog

Postby SuperBroo » Wednesday Apr 28, 2010 4:25 pm

Went and watched my nephew play his first game for the freo dockers on sunday night, awesome night out, and he played a pretty good game (Nat Fyfe, #13).

yep, its good to see some of the past sides that have struggled a bit having a better start to the year, maybe thats the draft system working, but thats about to go sideways a bit with the concessions going to gold coast.

anyway,
cheers to all :)

Chris.
SuperBroo

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Apr 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Nat Fyfe is in my supercoach team!
drsmurto

Postby SuperBroo » Wednesday Apr 28, 2010 5:02 pm

cool Doc :)

his rewards for playing a good game were a bad case of cramp, and having to drive people home from subiaco oval to different parts of perth coz the family all had a few sherbets watching the game :)

he is a smart young kid, needs to put on a few more kg's, and a bit more experience i reckon he will be a solid performer, and should take a few good grabs, he's been playing very well for claremont in the wafl.

the dockers have a wonderful approach to young talent that will probably pay off in the next few years, they're doing now what all the multi premiership clubs have had to do to put together a few strong years, run with youth, and put up with a few years of pain.

:)
Chris
SuperBroo

Postby bullfrog » Saturday May 01, 2010 10:24 pm

So gents, once again I have to interject with:

Cheer Cheer the red and the white, honour the name by day and by night, lift that noble banner high, shake down the thunder from the sky...

:D :D :D
bullfrog

Postby rotten » Saturday May 01, 2010 11:09 pm

wooden spoon? Tigers, Crows or Hawthorn? won't be melbourne or fremantle that's for sure.
rotten

Postby bullfrog » Sunday May 02, 2010 12:08 am

I'm going to back the Crows for the spoon (sorry Doc) just because Collingwood can't [as much as I hate it] ever be last and that my juniour footy team used to have an appropriated Hawks song as our team song.
Last edited by bullfrog on Wednesday May 19, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bullfrog

Postby rotten » Thursday May 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Tigers for spoon unless Crows lose 2 more key players. Tigers played O.K. lat week so they should get a few wins. Hawks V Tigers this week, was at G for this game last year and Hawks won but could have done better. Must say not so confident this year.
Cheers
rotten

Postby drsmurto » Friday May 14, 2010 10:57 am

rotten wrote:Tigers for spoon unless Crows lose 2 more key players. Tigers played O.K. lat week so they should get a few wins. Hawks V Tigers this week, was at G for this game last year and Hawks won but could have done better. Must say not so confident this year.
Cheers

Lose 2 more key players?

I think we have lost more than enough already thank you very much.

I tipped the Hawks, would love to see Richmond do well with all the young blokes running around for them but i dont see anyone capable of stopping Franklin.
drsmurto

Postby rotten » Saturday May 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Crows 45 points to 1 in last quarter vs Nth only to lose by 9. Oh bad luck! Didn't watch the game, did Nth walk of the oval?
rotten

Postby Trough Lolly » Sunday May 16, 2010 1:13 pm

Fingers crossed the boys have a win against Richmond today! I'd like to be standing near Jeff Bloody Kennett if they lose this arvo!!

Go Hawks!
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Chrisp » Monday May 17, 2010 12:54 am

Haerts must have been in your mouths, rotten & TL. Won, but only just.
Chrisp

Next

Return to General discussion