Bad beer bottles.. ebay dont buy!

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

Bad beer bottles.. ebay dont buy!

Postby melykabeer » Monday Sep 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi

Got 36 new glass tallies 640ml delivered last week off ebay for $53 delivered. Bad decision do not buy these!

seller: diybrewing
eg auction of bottles: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Home-Brew-beer-b ... 500wt_1154

I put my first all liquid extract brew into them, used 15 bottles rest PET. Went to go grab a beer (diff batch) to put in the fridge this arv opened the door whole room smelt like beer. Could see a puddle on the ground but no exploded bottles. found the source one of these bottles had cracked open but still sitting there meaning it did not explode under force. I only bottled this yesterday, i tested all the PET bottles none are even carbed up yet, a little bit of a whoosh when cracking a couple of lids. I noticed nearly all the bottles appear to have these little bubbles in the glass i thought it was a bit dodgy and i was correct!

Im now weary of the rest, even picking up the bottles to inspect which i havent yet. I might throw a tarp or something over the batch incase any explode when they are carbed up and under a bit of pressure and drink asap then ditch the bottles, maybe transport them to the fridge via a towel.

I have contacted the ebay seller wonder if he will give me any sort of refund.

pics below, btw getting a better camera tomorrow (fz100) i can post better pics but these arnt too bad for a cheapy.
http://img225.imageshack.us/g/dsc00227m.jpg/ image shack album of 3 pics. 1st broken bottle, 2nd close up of bubble which appears to be a bit of metal? something to do with bottle creation process? 3rd pic of another bottle fresh out of the box, only 1 bubble clearly seen the other dots is just dust and stuff.
Last edited by melykabeer on Tuesday Sep 14, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melykabeer

Re: Bad beer bottles.. ebay dont buy!

Postby bullfrog » Monday Sep 13, 2010 10:24 pm

Looks like what happened when I stupidly poured boiling water into a glass demijohn -- a significant chunk of glass more-or-less just falls away.

Bad luck, mate. Hope they're not all so hopeless.
bullfrog

Postby melykabeer » Wednesday Sep 15, 2010 9:15 pm

They sent me another 36 bottles, i would have prefered a refund but this is the reply.

Have checked with our supplier and this is not a problem encountered to date. In fact they have sold multible pallet loads without a problem.

We can only assume this is a one off.

Of course all this dosent help you and your problem.

Not sure exactly how many bottles of the 36 we sent you have this problem, howver, given your trouble, we are sending you another x 36 replacements by way of compensation.

They left earlier today.
melykabeer

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday Sep 15, 2010 10:58 pm

Thats not bad service just hope the new ones are better!!!
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Return to Buy, swap and sell