Liquid Bottle Primer

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

Liquid Bottle Primer

Postby two headed brewer » Sunday Sep 04, 2005 8:49 am

G'day all,
I have a new method to prime your bottles, as an alternative to measuring sugar into each bottle. The system involves the Posi Pour measured pourer, which is US 1/4 ounce (7.4mls approx) in size. To my knowledge I'm the only person that brings in this size from overseas, and this small volume dispense is essential in the system. Bulk priming is the best method, however this method is very easy and convenient for those who opt to prime bottles individually.
Basic details are to calculate the number of bottles by the amount of sugar for each bottle, and the number of bottles times 7.4 mls (this will be the total liquid volume). Allow for a few additional bottles to cover the bottle neck space of the pourer's cork. Completely dissolve the sugar in warm/hot water up to the total liquid volume and transfer to a bottle that the fits the pourer. The model I selected has an over sized cork that will fit PET, beer and wine bottles, so everyone will have one available. When filling up various size bottles, just prepare a bottle of sugar primer solution for each bottle size.
If you are interested send me an email to rball5@optusnet.com.au and I will send more details. I only have a limited number until I reorder from o/s, so an initial special price is $11 (GST included) plus postage (approx $4).
Cheers, Bally
two headed brewer

Postby Oliver » Sunday Sep 04, 2005 12:56 pm

Is this it?

http://www.posi-pour.com

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby two headed brewer » Sunday Sep 04, 2005 3:00 pm

That's the one Oliver.
To be precise, it's the 2000 Model. The website doesn't mention the 1/4 ounce (US) model, but since checking with them they do manufacture this size. I've used the 15ml size to prime 640ml bottles and the concept worked fine, but this volume would be too much for 375mls and lower.
Bally.
two headed brewer

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Sep 04, 2005 8:54 pm

I guess I shouldn't say it so I won't :lol: :wink:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Sunday Sep 04, 2005 11:35 pm

say what Dogger :?: :?:

:lol: :lol:
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Sep 05, 2005 12:08 am

Come on Grab,

You know

Dogger :lol: :lol:
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby two headed brewer » Monday Sep 05, 2005 6:31 am

What's the joke Dogger? Come on enlighten us!
two headed brewer

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Sep 05, 2005 6:46 am

Say the mantra folks

Chest Freezers and .............

Two Headed I am trying to keep you in business man.

We could never get something like that here in Canada. We just got carbonation drops last week, and they run 5 bucks a bag. Frigging rip off. Want to try them but they only do a stubbie (375 ml) a drop. We like 500 ml bottles as home brewers so thats 1.5 a bottle?

Dr Tim, hear the faithful cry.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby two headed brewer » Monday Sep 05, 2005 6:32 pm

Well Dogger,
the reason for sourcing this product. Coopers have enough problems at present and calls from the wild may go unheard. If the troops sort out that "Six Pack for Christmas", one of these will be my contribution :)
I've have read a few negative comments on the carbonation drops and saw the limitation (price and flexibility), that you alluded to. But like all methods you have lovers and haters.
Hopefully, the merit of this system will be seen by those who bottle prime and give it a go.
I include 50cm of 10mm raking tube to assist in the dispensing (just fit to the nozzle of the pourer), and the usual garb on use, cleaning, etc.
Bally.
two headed brewer

Postby undercover1 » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 9:28 am

two headed brewer wrote: If the troops sort out that "Six Pack for Christmas", one of these will be my contribution :)

The troops did the business, 2HB, so drop me an email and I'll give you my address to send it over for inclusion on the parcel.
Buying the beers this weekend, planning to pack & ship next week.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby two headed brewer » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 3:37 pm

done
two headed brewer

A Review

Postby gregb » Saturday Oct 01, 2005 7:57 am

Being a sucker for toys, gizmoes, gadgets and alternative methods of doing things I got one of these.

Used it this morning to prime batch 57.

Overall I think it is an innovative and practical application of existing technologies, and I will be using it again for the priming purpose when I am putting a whole batch to one size of bottle.

Strenghts:
- Very quick, no cleaning, sanitizing etc of the second bucket. No racking to the bottleing bin. I cut about half an hour out of bottling time.
- More precise than existing scoops for dry powders.
- Not using carbonation drops.

Weakness:
- If bottling to a number of different capacity bottles would need to be very careful to ensure correct syrup went to each bottle.
- Some batches benefit from the racking step inherant in bulk priming.

If you currently individually prime each bottle I would recomend this to you.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby two headed brewer » Tuesday Oct 04, 2005 4:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback Greg. Much Appreciated. As a matter of interest, how did you deliver to the bottle, straight pour or use a funnel? As you know, I have supplied this with a length of racking tube, but I personally didn't find this practical.
Bally
two headed brewer

Postby gregb » Tuesday Oct 04, 2005 7:11 pm

Straight pour, no problems.

Cheers,
Greg.
gregb

Postby two headed brewer » Friday Oct 28, 2005 7:27 pm

Fellow brewers,
I have had a couple of people interested in the use of the measured pourer for priming bottles but not as many as hoped. I'm currently working with a brew shop to fine tune the package presentation, instructions, but being new to business I'm discovering things as I go. Anyway, I really believe that this method has the goods for those who individually prime bottles, and being a new method I should have conducted a trial to gain a wider opinion base to iron out any bugs and gain suggestions in its use. I need 10 volunteers to trial and give feedback on the method, packaging, instructions, etc. I will provide the unit and post to your nominated address. For those who want to be part of this just email me at rball5@optusnet.com.au and I'll answer your queries and arrange delivery. Please only respond to this if your interested, I also bulk prime but regularly prime bottles individually and recommend this method.
BTW this is the only product I carry and just saw this product as a good alternative to the measured scoop, Kangabrew, etc. The 15ml Posi Pour is approx $14 to $20 in retail outlets, so I want to keep this as a small, value for money sideline interest.
Bally
two headed brewer

Postby JaCk_SpArRoW » Monday Jan 09, 2006 1:24 pm

two headed brewer wrote:Fellow brewers,
I have had a couple of people interested in the use of the measured pourer for priming bottles but not as many as hoped. I'm currently working with a brew shop to fine tune the package presentation, instructions, but being new to business I'm discovering things as I go. Anyway, I really believe that this method has the goods for those who individually prime bottles, and being a new method I should have conducted a trial to gain a wider opinion base to iron out any bugs and gain suggestions in its use. I need 10 volunteers to trial and give feedback on the method, packaging, instructions, etc. I will provide the unit and post to your nominated address. For those who want to be part of this just email me at rball5@optusnet.com.au and I'll answer your queries and arrange delivery. Please only respond to this if your interested, I also bulk prime but regularly prime bottles individually and recommend this method.
BTW this is the only product I carry and just saw this product as a good alternative to the measured scoop, Kangabrew, etc. The 15ml Posi Pour is approx $14 to $20 in retail outlets, so I want to keep this as a small, value for money sideline interest.
Bally

I'd be more than happy to trial it, for sure...if you're still running the trial that is!
:twisted: Ćĥĕĕŕś Ň ÃƒÅ¸ĕĕŕś :twisted:
~Ĵ@©ķ~
"Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk" - Homer
http://blackpearlbrewingco.blogspot.com/
JaCk_SpArRoW

Postby two headed brewer » Monday Jan 09, 2006 5:25 pm

Sorry JaCk,
currently filled the quota. I'll get the details of the trial up as soon as all have replied. So far the feedback is encouraging, and indicates an improvement of a measured scoop. Also practical for keggers who have a couple of litres left over.
If anyone wants one, or further information, just drop me a line.

Bally
two headed brewer

Re: A Review

Postby ryan » Sunday Feb 10, 2008 3:37 pm

gregb wrote:Being a sucker for toys, gizmoes, gadgets and alternative methods of doing things I got one of these.

Used it this morning to prime batch 57.

Overall I think it is an innovative and practical application of existing technologies, and I will be using it again for the priming purpose when I am putting a whole batch to one size of bottle.

Strenghts:
- Very quick, no cleaning, sanitizing etc of the second bucket. No racking to the bottleing bin. I cut about half an hour out of bottling time.
- More precise than existing scoops for dry powders.
- Not using carbonation drops.

Weakness:
- If bottling to a number of different capacity bottles would need to be very careful to ensure correct syrup went to each bottle.
- Some batches benefit from the racking step inherant in bulk priming.

If you currently individually prime each bottle I would recomend this to you.

Cheers,
Greg

The bloke actually sent me one free for trial, I`ve still got it here with the instructions. All he wanted in return was his online q. form filled in, which I was glad to do. There were no probs with it, not as quick for me as my old{and still present } method, but certainly quicker than bulk priming.
I tend to think some people are brainwashed into bping and racking, specially the rookies. It`s one of the first things they`re told on forums, so they think it must be right. :(
ryan

Re: Liquid Bottle Primer

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Feb 10, 2008 3:49 pm

What is your method ryan?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Re: Liquid Bottle Primer

Postby ryan » Sunday Feb 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Kevnlis wrote:What is your method ryan?

Line up 30 tallies of same size in a row, drop widemouth funnell in first bottle, drop in caster sugar with 5 g. t spoon, go to next etc.
2 mins. is on my own, moving funnell. If the good lady helps by moving funnell it`s considerably less. Back myself timewise against any bulkprimer :)
And no, never any flatties or bottle bombs
ryan

Next

Return to Buy, swap and sell