beer fridges!

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

beer fridges!

Postby grabman » Friday Nov 19, 2004 4:27 pm

guys,

check out http://www.beertech.com.au

this is some serious beer fridge!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a look at them yesterdat arvo, I'm now saving the pennies, very solid units!!!

Simon
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Nov 19, 2004 10:16 pm

I actually built my own, it isn't hard and it is way cheaper. I saved some 400 bucks

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Evo » Saturday Nov 20, 2004 1:41 pm

Yeah, I can't talk my freezer up enough. It fits 4 kegs and a glycol unit of sorts (to run through the beer font to keep it cold). All up, with the font, the freezer, the thermostat (it can run at anything from 25 to -18 degrees) and the lines you're only looking at about $750 and it'd be even cheaper if you found a second hand freezer the right size.

Here's a pic of it. Don't mind the good looking bar tender with the mullet. He doesn't come with it.

http://www.daking-dom.com/FlowersDraught/Photos/FotsBday/pages/31_TheFaceOfFlowers.html
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby grabman » Saturday Nov 20, 2004 9:42 pm

Evo,

That was my original idea, however a fridge guy I know said the compressor in the freezer won't last more than twelve months once you put a thermostat on it. How long you been running your setup?

Maybe the guy was just talking shit!
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Evo » Saturday Nov 20, 2004 10:09 pm

Aaaaaah, yeah, interesting Grabman. One of my mates is a fridgey as well and I ran the same question past him. He said he couldn't see any reason why it would hurt the compressor. The original thought was that with the compressor stopping and starting it might wear out quicker, but even if it was operating as a freezer it would be stopping and starting about the same amount, just maintaining a lower temp.

I'd be interested in why your mate said this. Maybe it's something we overlooked. That said, yeah, both my converted freezers are running sweet. I accidently drilled a hole through the coil of one while putting a CO2 line into it, so yeah, it wasn't working for a while. Thanks to having a mate who is a fridgey, it's now working again, no problems. How you doin Jase ? Love your work mate ;)
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby grabman » Monday Nov 22, 2004 4:28 pm

i think part of the problem was that if this mob did the convserion then they wouldn't be able to sell me the beer fridge setup they have.

Am still looking at the freezer idea, just need a suitable thermostat etc
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Evo » Monday Nov 22, 2004 6:27 pm

Hey Grabman,

Are we talking the conversion from freezer to fridge ? If so, I've got a thermostat my mate gave me for my second fridge (I changed over to an all digital model). You could have it if you want as I no longer have any use for it. Piece of pi... piece of pie to put in. I could even give you instructions.

Let me know.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby grabman » Monday Nov 22, 2004 7:02 pm

cheers for that Evo, however I acquired a fridge this arvo from a mate for free, also have gas bottle on permanent from another mate with a pub. He's now looking for his old EK taps for me, thinks he has about 5.

Just got to get kegs and reg's etc and the next brew goes into kegs!

oh joy :lol: :lol:
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Guest » Thursday Dec 02, 2004 9:45 pm

Don't bother.

You can do much better for a lot less yourself.

My system
1 x Fridge
5 x 19L kegs
4 x Kegs in the fridge cold at once.
2 x snap lock taps in door of fridge.
1 x gun.
1 x Gas bottle.
1 x Stainless steel drip tray with splash back.
Capable of pouring from 3 different kegs at once.
Can take a keg from the fridge to any location for functions.
Capable of pouring one keg using nitrogen.

All this cost me $800

Shaun

Postby munkey » Monday Mar 21, 2005 4:06 am

slight change of topic,

but i am looking at a beer fridge setup and was wondering why you all seam to favour the freeser setup??

i assume its eather the chest type is better possibly for space and and iv never seen a chest fridge,

i would also think that the chest type will be more efficiant as cold air would be hevier and if you open a fridge up all the cold air falls out???,

or is it te fundimental difforense that a fridge just dont get cold enough (i thought it was prefrable for food higene to have them at 5°C)
munkey

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Mar 21, 2005 5:48 am

Munkey,

I have a fridge and it works just fine for me.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby munkey » Monday Mar 21, 2005 6:32 am

i saw that in the pickkys :wink: :wink: :wink:
munkey

Postby grabman » Monday Mar 21, 2005 9:22 am

Munkey,

I'm a fridge man, got of them , one for kegs and one for bottles! Easier than freezer as you don't have to lift kegs up so high to get them in!! Major consideration for those with back problems.
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Shaun » Monday Mar 21, 2005 3:52 pm

Munkey I think it is a matter of personal preference I am a fridge person as that is what I had at the time. The only thing I would advise is do it well once (measure twice drill once that type of thing). It is easier this way as once you have set it up it can be difficult to change if the setup is not quite right for what ever reason. Make a plain of what the ultimate setup for you is, get the bits and go for it, don't do it in half measures.

Evo is he pouring from the taps in the freezer or a gun to another keg some ware else?
Shaun

Postby Shaun » Monday Mar 21, 2005 9:10 pm

Munkey here are some pics of what I did.

http://groups.msn.com/MacabresBrewery/shoebox.msnw
Shaun

Postby munkey » Monday Mar 21, 2005 11:21 pm

cool!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
munkey

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 7:47 am

Shaun,

All your tanks are tat the same pressure aren't they? Maybe you could run it through a manifold each with a step down reg. Then your stouts can be at a different pressure than your pilsners. Thats my next step. Depending on my performance bonus this year I would like a second tap to. The one tap system works but is a bit of a dog especially after to many pops. I have been known to cross kegs.

By the way, I think we get a better deal on kegs than you guys.... We just take them from the back of the pool hall which is next to the pub where we pick up our 50 L kegs.

Just kidding, I pay 30 bucks for mine, I still think they may be hot though, seeing they say Detroit on them. Hope I don't get extradited.

:lol: :lol: :wink:
Dogger Dan

Postby Guest » Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 8:57 am

I am looking at getting an old fridge to use as a temperature controlled brewing station - trying to brew in 35 degree heat doesnt always make for a good brew. Will one of these gadgets be good enough to control the thermostat on a fridge to keep the temp between 15 and 25 degrees?? I'm not much of a fridgy, so anyone who has done this before any advice appreciated.....

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.a ... emperature

Postby Shaun » Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 4:53 pm

Dogger yes I have to run the same pouring pressure in both kegs, I have not had to many problems with this so far I don't do a lot of pils mostly stouts, dark ales and Pale ales.

When I can afford a manifold and regs will look at that and a third tap.

When gassing I use the method described in a previous post or disconnect one keg while the other is gassing.

I paid $60 each for my kegs so yes it looks like you get a better deal than use (more to Johnny Howard I suspect).

All up what you see cost me $840. I later bought a gun so the system can be portable. I have added photos of my very sophisticated portable system. http://groups.msn.com/MacabresBrewery/portablesystem.msnw?Page=1
Shaun

Postby Evo » Tuesday Mar 22, 2005 7:16 pm

Munkey,

The chest freezer mate. Totally WOTF (way of the future). A 160 litre chest freezer can fit 4 kegs. You wont get that in a fridge. Might cost you a bit more with the extra thermostat, but well worth it. You can then also use it to brew in (you can maintain temps from -18 to 25 degrees), and you can also preach on your soapbox about how much better chest freezers are.

Guest,

There's a few thermostats out there you can use. I've got a dial type (about $55) and a digital type (about $110). Either of them will be capable of maintaining 15 - 25 degrees (even less if you wanna do a lager). They come with diagrams and are pretty easy to install.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Next

Return to Buy, swap and sell