500ml German Style Beer Bottles?

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

500ml German Style Beer Bottles?

Postby James L » Monday Jun 11, 2007 2:26 pm

Gday

I was looking for anyone who would know where to get amber coloured 500ml german style beer bottles in WA.

The bottles that i'm refering to are the Weihenstephaner, Erdinger etc bottles.

There are the perfect size for the home brew as they have the exact volume for many of the glasses you buy (so no wastage, not that there would be), and I have gotten my hands on a heap of nice crates that fit 20 of them nicely, so storing them is easy.

At the moment i've been buying the german beers here and there to get the collection going, but for 4-5 dollars a pop, its busting my balls.

I've tried a few german resturants, and got my mates to try and help me out, but i cant get them as quickly as i need them

I've even tried buying them new, but the packaging companys' only take orders by the pallet load.

Any ideas?

Cheers

James
James L

Postby Bill100727 » Thursday Jun 21, 2007 12:32 am

Hi James, Satisfy 3 criteria, (1) quantity in a pallette load, (2) cost delivered, (3) if appears economical, form a local co-operative.
Cheers,
Bill.
I am 80 years young coming up July, I make a top pork pie, something Aussie hasn't quite discovered yet, now is there anything that goes better with a schooner..!..? and a gerkin of course.
Cheers,
Bill.
Bill100727

Re: 500ml German Style Beer Bottles?

Postby Adzmax » Friday Jul 13, 2007 11:59 am

James L wrote:Gday

I was looking for anyone who would know where to get amber coloured 500ml german style beer bottles in WA.

The bottles that i'm refering to are the Weihenstephaner, Erdinger etc bottles.

There are the perfect size for the home brew as they have the exact volume for many of the glasses you buy (so no wastage, not that there would be), and I have gotten my hands on a heap of nice crates that fit 20 of them nicely, so storing them is easy.

At the moment i've been buying the german beers here and there to get the collection going, but for 4-5 dollars a pop, its busting my balls.

I've tried a few german resturants, and got my mates to try and help me out, but i cant get them as quickly as i need them

I've even tried buying them new, but the packaging companys' only take orders by the pallet load.

Any ideas?

Cheers

James

I love these bottles too. Perhaps get some pricing/quantity on a pallet and look at doing some type of group buy?
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" :D
Adzmax

Postby James L » Friday Jul 13, 2007 2:03 pm

i've managed to get some mates to help me with the collection, so i have about 5 cartons worth of bottles, so i tend to save them for my favourite styles of beer, the hefeweizen style beers....

I have however done a little research into who sells them (in WA)...

Theres a company called COSPAK (http://www.cospak.com.au), and they have a distribution centre in all state capitals. I think the problem for me was they didnt have any in WA, so in order to get some over here, i'd have to order the whole pallet load. I didnt get a quote for the pallet because i wasnt too keen on spending too much on bottles, but if you call your local distributor, they might be able to sell you them in a smaller quantity, but you might still be looking at a dollar a bottle...

As for me, i'm prolly going to stick with drinking myself a supply of german bottles.

James
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

I hear ya James

Postby beergoggles » Sunday Jul 29, 2007 6:01 pm

The Weihenstephaner bottles are perfect few homebrew and like u found it hard to get enough , over the past 12 months I've collected about 100 of them . I'm in Margaret River where they cost $5.00 each , so I've been averaging 2 a week which isnt too bad , love the beer so its a win win ..lol
GO HARD OR GO HOME
beergoggles

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jan 09, 2008 11:15 am

Try local German clubs. Geoff and I got a heap of 500ml Kozel bottles for the Millennium Ale (http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/millenniumale.html), from the Czech Club in Melbourne. I dropped some empty boxes off on a Friday arvo and collected about 140 empties the following week. All free of charge.

Sorry for the late reply!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby KEG » Wednesday Jan 09, 2008 12:17 pm

Hansa Pils is also fairly cheap as German beer goes. Tastes decent too.
KEG

Postby James L » Wednesday Jan 09, 2008 5:07 pm

The Hansa Pils and the Schofferhoffer bottles have really thin glass compared to the Weihenstephan and Erdinger bottles, so i am a little hesitant to use them just incase you get a blowout.

I have so many empty 500ml bottles it aint funny... i think i need to brew more....
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby KEG » Wednesday Jan 09, 2008 9:54 pm

i've reused Hansa bottles with no trouble so far.
KEG

Postby timmy » Thursday Jan 10, 2008 11:36 am

Ditto for me and the Schofferhofer bottles. And my weizens are normally pretty seriously carbed.

btw - Dan Murphy's recently had a gift pack of Schoffer's with 5 x 500ml bottles and a nice weizen glass for $25. The only bad thing (apart from the cost vs HB) is that it reminds me how much my weizens need to improve...

Cheers,
Tim
timmy

Return to Buy, swap and sell