australian supplier of beer steins

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

australian supplier of beer steins

Postby heathen » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 11:48 am

hi guys, i am wanting to buy a couple of genuine beer steins. i have exhausted my local antique shops and op shops, admittedly, being a small country town this was only a dozen shops. a google search has only given me overseas suppliers and this was too expensive an option for me. and i just plain suck at ebay auctions. so, does anyone know of an australian supplier for beer steins? all help is greatly appreciated. regards, heathen
...and the serpent said nothing, just grinned with knowledge.
heathen

Postby James L » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 12:08 pm

I've been looking too....

I was after a genuine weihenstephaner stein with the tin lid... couldnt get one anywhere, and the website only sent to places in germany....

So i had to find someone who was from germany, who could pay for it with euros, get it sent to his folks in germany and then sent to me in australia... the stein itself cost 6 euros (15 dollars)... but the postage is gonna cost me about 25 euros (60 bucks)...

It sucks...

I went to the International Beer Shop, as they usually have alot of steins around, and they told me that they aren't bringing them in anymore cos customs keep smashing too many of them thinking they're made of drugs or something.... So i went to the national importer of weihenstephan (phoneix beers) and they told me the same thing....

I do know that there are alot more steins available around october when oktoberfest comes around, and you can usually pick one up with a carton of hoffbrauhaus or paulaner (if you are in the right place at the right time)

Apart from that... i dont know where you can get genuine german steins... Antiques shops are too expensive.. the only other place i know is Ebay....

I've bought a few things internationally from Ebay, and sometimes you can get a bargain... even though the postage is expensive, sometimes you can justify getting it if you know you cant get it in Australia
Last edited by James L on Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby heathen » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 12:15 pm

thanks james, a bit disheartening though, the ones i wanted were gonna end up costing me just under $600! so i'm just gonna keep searching the op shops and maybe enlist my melbournite brother into looking there for some in his area. having said that, is any member here a collector? i would pay what they r worth. fingers crossed, heathen
heathen

Postby James L » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 12:18 pm

what sort are you after? i'll keep my eyes peeled...
James L

Postby heathen » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 12:33 pm

any really, or to start with. the three i had my heart set on was: a gambrinus full litre stein, black and grey, a thewalt germania half litre stein, black and grey for my partner and a thewalt deutschland half litre stein. dont know the other specs for them. i just saw them and thought they belonged to me. but i would be happy with a couple of steins in good nick for me and my lady to drink out of, matching if possible. but would be happy with anything. thankyou, heathen
heathen

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 12:54 pm

I recently e-mail the guys at "Lowenbrau" and all they have are the glass Lowenbrau steins and Spaten-brau ceramic steins. Not sure on pricing but if you are interested the e-mail is kfarlow at lowenbrau dot com dot au.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 12:56 pm

Picked up mine from a churchy op shop for $6. Those old church ladies wouldnt know an antique if it bit them on the ......

Been a few months since i was there so am due to do the rounds again, if only they knew how much money they could have made :twisted:

Other option is local craft markets.
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 1:07 pm

I picked one up for $3 from Chateau Wyuna maybe drop them a line?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby heathen » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

i just rang chateau wyuna and the gent had no idea what i was talking about. did i get the right one? and lowenbrau only let their members have the steins, but you can get the glasses. regards, heathen
heathen

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 4:06 pm

Wonder what it takes to become a Lowenbrau member? I really really want a spaten stein!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Fents » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 4:55 pm

Ebay has an abundunce of GENUINE GERMAN beer steins...I browse them all the time, just make sure its has GERMANY stamped into the base or the name of the brewery.
Fents

Postby Fents » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 4:57 pm

Fents

Postby James L » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 6:10 pm

i think i'd have to kick my own ass if i was seen drinking out the first one, but the other two are pretty awse...
James L

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 6:24 pm

Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby heathen » Wednesday Aug 01, 2007 1:34 pm

hey guys, i won two on ebay last night (my first wins on ebay!) thanks for the tips. the offer/request still stands, if you want to sell one or more let me know as im still chasing my dream ones. warmest of regards, heathen
heathen

Return to Buy, swap and sell