Liquid Malt Extract?

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

Liquid Malt Extract?

Postby Heals » Thursday Oct 18, 2007 11:59 pm

Where's the best place to buy LME?

I can't buy it at my local HBS and I don't even think ross sells it (could be wrong about that though).
Explore your HOPTIONS!
240+ varieties of hops, expert descriptions, substitutes, beer styles and more. hopslist.com is the largest source of hops info on the web.
Heals

Postby bottle top » Friday Oct 19, 2007 12:07 am

Check your local supermarket. I saw a kilo for $7 or $8, I think it was the health food section.
bottle top

Re: Liquid Malt Extract?

Postby Ross » Friday Oct 19, 2007 6:59 am

Heals wrote:Where's the best place to buy LME?

I can't buy it at my local HBS and I don't even think ross sells it (could be wrong about that though).

Why do you want liquid over dry?

We stick with dry, as it's easier to mail order & you are not paying freight on 20% water.

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby Kevnlis » Friday Oct 19, 2007 7:36 am

There is a place in Brisbane that sells 20kg bags of dry for just over $100. Ask ryan or search for a post about "storing malt extract".
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby KEG » Friday Oct 19, 2007 7:39 am

bottle top wrote:Check your local supermarket. I saw a kilo for $7 or $8, I think it was the health food section.
it's not quite the same as brewing quality LME.
KEG

Postby Chris » Friday Oct 19, 2007 7:43 am

Yeah, I've heard the health food stuff isn't even close to brewing quality.

I'm suprised a HB shop doesn't have liquid.
Chris

Postby earle » Friday Oct 19, 2007 7:54 am

If you can get it the Morgans 1.5kg liquid malt is probably cheaper than the stuff (1kg) at the supermarket anyway. I paid $8 for the tins I got last week. If your local HBS stocks morgans they may order it in for you. From what my local tells me they're really good with sending mixed boxes etc.

Earle
earle

Postby Heals » Friday Oct 19, 2007 11:33 am

There is a place in Brisbane that sells 20kg bags of dry for just over $100. Ask ryan or search for a post about "storing malt extract".

Kev, I'm looking to give extract brews a go, can you use all LDME? Most of the recipes I see have liquid malt that's all....

(Ross, cheers, same question as above! I'm still learning!)
Explore your HOPTIONS!
240+ varieties of hops, expert descriptions, substitutes, beer styles and more. hopslist.com is the largest source of hops info on the web.
Heals

Postby James L » Friday Oct 19, 2007 11:48 am

you can use dry instead of liquid.... the only thing you really have to take into accounts is that fact that liquid malt is 20% water, so you dont need to add the same ammount of dry malt to give the alcohol percentage you would expect from the same ammount of liquid malt.

3kg of liquid malt extract in 22L gives you about 5% alcohol.

2.6kg of dry malt extract in 22L gives you about 5% alcohol

I think you will find that dry malt will give a better tasting beer compared to liquid malt. liquid malt they concentrate to wort down to 10% of its original volume. whereas dry malt, they pretty much dehyrdate the wort to powder. I had a great analogy comparing this with making coffee or something but i cant remember it.
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby warra48 » Friday Oct 19, 2007 11:55 am

Heals wrote:
Kev, I'm looking to give extract brews a go, can you use all LDME? Most of the recipes I see have liquid malt that's all....

(Ross, cheers, same question as above! I'm still learning!)

Yes, you can. I have done it.
However, I found the beer tends to be somewhat malty sweet, and took a fair while to mature.
I suggest you need to balance it with some specialty grains, to give your beer some character and complexity. Also, add bittering, flavour, and aroma hops.
I'd also make sure you fully ferment it out to prevent any residual malty sweetness.
warra48

Postby Kevnlis » Friday Oct 19, 2007 12:37 pm

I agree with warra here. If you are using DME add a bit of carapils to your grain steep this will give you a fuller body without changing the flavour. Also reduce the weight of malt in the recipe to account for the water as James said. Easiest way to do that is to multiply the total weight of the LME by .8 and add that amount of DME (ie. if the recipe calls for 3kg LLME use 2.4kg LDME).
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis