Melb east burbs

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

Melb east burbs

Postby StuTee » Friday Apr 11, 2008 10:12 pm

I've been going to the brewcraft hbs in heidelberg (Melbourne) since i started brewing, and it's been dawning on me that they have a fairly limited selection of some things (yeasts, for example). Plus the bloke that was there the first time I went was an absolute champion, gave us some of his home brew and spent a good 20 mins giving us basic pointers, but has since disappeared and his replacement, while a nice guy, doesn't really offer much help.
Anyone know of any good hbs out this side of the city? I hear Grain and Grape is the pick of the bunch, but Yarraville is such a long way away.
Incidentally, there's a bottleshop in Surrey Hills called Grape & Grain, clearly a lot of thought went into that name...
Cheers!
Stu.
StuTee

Re: Melb east burbs

Postby KEG » Friday Apr 11, 2008 10:15 pm

Yarraville is worth the drive. They're open til 1pm on Saturday, get down there :D
KEG

Postby KEG » Friday Apr 11, 2008 10:16 pm

oh, and bring a certain amount of cash, and leave your eftpos card at home if you want to limit what you're spending. i've never been there and spent less than $50.
KEG

Postby holedigger » Saturday Apr 12, 2008 10:33 am

There is always The Brewers Den in Boronia. The prices are "reasonable", I think they're bit better than Brewcraft. The chap who runs it with his wife his amiable but he cant understand some one who wants to brew a beer in a different manner to him.
They also sell imported European beers and have a fantastic selection.
holedigger

Postby lethaldog » Saturday Apr 12, 2008 10:39 am

KEG wrote:Yarraville is worth the drive. They're open til 1pm on Saturday, get down there :D

Agreed, i travel from mornington every so often to go there for grain and liquid yeasts and other various things and it is well worth the trip :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby chadjaja » Saturday Apr 12, 2008 11:21 am

Im guessing you got Walter at the Brewcraft store and from memory he is only there a few days a week. Real nice bloke and shared some of his raspberry beer with me for the wife too. Only decent store guy I've encouted at two of the brewcraft stores.

Im still yet to check out grain and grape as it could involve spending a lot of money LOL
chadjaja

Postby lethaldog » Saturday Apr 12, 2008 11:25 am

chadjaja wrote:Im guessing you got Walter at the Brewcraft store and from memory he is only there a few days a week. Real nice bloke and shared some of his raspberry beer with me for the wife too. Only decent store guy I've encouted at two of the brewcraft stores.

Im still yet to check out grain and grape as it could involve spending a lot of money LOL

It will but damn its fun :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby StuTee » Sunday Apr 13, 2008 10:27 pm

chadjaja wrote:Im guessing you got Walter at the Brewcraft store and from memory he is only there a few days a week. Real nice bloke and shared some of his raspberry beer with me for the wife too. Only decent store guy I've encouted at two of the brewcraft stores.

spot on, he was really good and gave us a couple of different ones to try, from memory a best bitter which was great and something else... Sounds like the trip to g&g might be on son then, I want to have a go at some liquid yeasts.
Cheers!
StuTee

Postby rohanbutler » Friday Apr 18, 2008 1:39 pm

lethaldog wrote:

It will but damn its fun :lol: :lol:

You get good value for your money, good advice and no hard sell tactics (maybe they let me go because they know I'll spend more on my own than have them channelling my descions!)
I don't have drinking problem cept when I can't get drink - Tom Waits
rohanbutler

Postby newers » Thursday May 15, 2008 10:54 am

holedigger wrote:There is always The Brewers Den in Boronia. The prices are "reasonable", I think they're bit better than Brewcraft. The chap who runs it with his wife his amiable but he cant understand some one who wants to brew a beer in a different manner to him.
They also sell imported European beers and have a fantastic selection.

I would have to agree with that!!! I used to frequent the place but after being TOLD how I should make beer rather than being offered suggestions and having a chance to discuss my own suggestions I will now usually buy online and only go to Brewers Den if completely necessary. It's unfortunate because I really do like what they sell.
newers

Return to Buy, swap and sell