The Canadian Touch

Having trouble with an aspect of the forum? Have a suggestion for an improvement?

Should there be an International Flavour at this Site?

Poll ended at Monday Aug 01, 2005 5:19 am

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes : 16

The Canadian Touch

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Jul 18, 2005 5:19 am

I was at a site recently where they had an international flavour somewhat like this one. There was a section that was related to Canada and things Canadian as well as other Countries. The guy handling that side did a pretty good job and had some 2000 posts so I guess I am some what lacking. Mind you , I have only been here a year and am about 5 min junior in time to Oliver and Geoff themselves

Obviously being 180 degrees away from you guys in any given direction, my life doesn't always seem to follow yours and some things I think are important seem to be shunned or misinterpretted, not that they shouldn't be. What do you care about hockey? Yet it is our favourite past time. And guys like Chopper or the Lesbian Vampire Contingent? What do I care. Funny though, I do, it makes me a more rounded person. Remember there were only two things the Kippers feard during the WWII, and we were both on the same side.

We have a lot in common and some differences. I would like to run a small aside like this other charecter which answers things Canadian which folks ask about, can post hockey scores, NFL results, CFL results, Curling etc. Winter Olympics, remeber my buddy Rob, like pot is a performencing enhancing drug.

Remember, the toilet spins the other way in this hemisphere.

So guys, what do you think?

Oliver and Geoff, Ultimately it comes down to you two, take the Poll results and treat it with no real concern. After all, these folk seem to think I should also coach your International Soccer Team. At least no one would fall down and be miracuously healed as I see in Europe

Thanks Folks

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Friar » Monday Jul 18, 2005 9:50 am

DD

seeing you were lurking here I thought I would vote now.

If you are at the five minute mark I must be somewhere around 15 seconds.

I assume you would moderate the International part of the board. Are you Canada specific or prepared for the whole world? Do you think Hrundi VB would run the Bombay chapter :lol:

Whilst never having been to Canada the voyeuristic part of me is interested to see how things are there. Your personal perspective would enlighten us all.

Is the grand plan to run as part of O&G's or parallel?

Friar
I'm not as think as you drunk I am
Friar

Postby grabman » Monday Jul 18, 2005 10:02 am

as one who was not born in Oz and who is married to a non-Ozzie I feel that an international flavour is quite welcome. Perhaps Munkey could give us the soccer news from UK to add sparkle. Just a thought!!

As DD says drive on and go for it
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Guest » Monday Jul 18, 2005 6:45 pm

bring it on i say :)

db

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Jul 18, 2005 8:51 pm

Far beyond me to take on the whole world, it would be Canadian content.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby rain » Tuesday Jul 19, 2005 11:43 am

Good idea Dan. Last week I searched to find exactly when Northern hemisphere seasons changed - I wanted to alter a garden planting guide.
You could have told me, eh? 8)
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby Beerpig » Tuesday Jul 19, 2005 1:30 pm

It's worth having Canadian input just for the toilet fact

Bring it on I say

Cheers
Beerpig

Postby Evo » Wednesday Jul 20, 2005 7:26 pm

Hell yeah. I've always said that Cannucks are just Aussie's on the other side of the world. Get busy Dogger !
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

hi Dan.

Postby vinniethefish » Friday Jul 22, 2005 1:00 am

I just ran across this site yesterday. I'm from New Brunswick actually, but I can already see that this is a good site for me as I have only been brewing (kits) for a couple of months now. I would certainly be interested to see some Canadian content, but also would like to see more personal ratings of various kits (the ones that we do have access to in Canada). I can see there are scattered comments throughout the site. Maybe a thread specifically on the various brands of kits would be VERY valuable. (i.e. Cooper's, Munton's and Morgan's anyway). That would help all of us newbies.
vinniethefish

Postby undercover1 » Friday Jul 22, 2005 1:34 pm

You know, my favorite thing to do with Canadians is to ask them whereabouts in Canadia they are from. (Even more fun than asking them whereabouts in the USA, but let's not get into that.)
Australians come from AustralIA. Africans come from AfricA. Using the same logic, Canadians should come from a place called CanadIA, or be called CanadANs
Salut!
undercover1

Postby tommo » Friday Jul 22, 2005 7:43 pm

hey dog, all for it mate.

although i'd been around the globe by the time i was 25 i never made it to Cangolia. :cry:

my grandfather was born in Hamilton, Ontario and i would be interested in knowing if you have visited and what you thought of the place.

cheers
tommo
tommo

no, never been to Hamilton

Postby vinniethefish » Friday Jul 22, 2005 9:32 pm

...but, from what I hear, I'm not missing a whole lot. I believe it's a fairly industrial city. No, I am from New Brunswick (about a 9 hour drive east from Hamilton). Since Canada is such a big country, most of us only get to see certain parts of it in our lifetime. As for actually being a Canalian, well, no comment.
vinniethefish

Postby tommo » Friday Jul 22, 2005 11:05 pm

vin,

i'm not real big on this whole etiquette thing, I've been pulled into gear a couple of times myself.

But, I do know manners, and I'm sure this thread wasn't kicked off by you so just take a number ok.

tommo.
tommo

sure.

Postby vinniethefish » Saturday Jul 23, 2005 2:29 am

What number do you have?
vinniethefish

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Jul 23, 2005 2:42 am

Tommo,

Yes I have been to Hamilton many a time, my father in law is Dr there. My Dad actually worked for Westinghouse there and I spent a few years there myself.

It is actually a nice city now, it used to be really bad in the 60 's early 70's before they forced some environmental work. Summer is still bad because the city sits in a basin against the Niagra Escarpment so the smog can really build up, similar to LA in that matter.

Primary industry is steel and there is a big University there (MacMaster)

Vinnie, What are you driving to reach Hamilton in 9 hrs from New Brunswick. It is nine hours to Montreal man, 8 more to New Brunswick (St John)

Dogger
Dogger Dan

sorry.

Postby vinniethefish » Saturday Jul 23, 2005 4:24 am

Yes, sorry Dan. You are right. I was thinking Ottawa. I did that in 9 hours (from Fredericton) a couple of years ago. I went to Toronto another time, but that was a long time ago, so can't remember how long it took and have never been to Hamilton. (Maybe I am thinking of the time I flew into Toronto - that flight wasn't long, but bad weather and seemed like 9 hours.)
vinniethefish

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Jul 23, 2005 8:56 am

Fish,

No problems man, I was thinking you were doing a buck 80 or something.

By the way, " Game on". I liked the draft lottery, Sydney went to a good team that needs him. Mario will do a good job with him.

Nice to have another Cannuk around

Dogger
Dogger Dan

hockey

Postby vinniethefish » Saturday Jul 23, 2005 11:51 am

Yeah, the Penguins certainly need some talent these days. It wouldn't have been one of my first choices for a place to see him play, but could have been worse; he could have ended up in Philly. (sorry, I have hated the Flyers ever since I was a wee pup.)
vinniethefish

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Jul 23, 2005 12:02 pm

We bleed Blue and White here

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby gregb » Saturday Jul 23, 2005 6:00 pm

We would play more Ice Hockey here, but we need the ice to keep the beers cold. :lol:

We need the beers cold for watching the Poms get a cricket lesson, and I'll decide wether or not to throw a sledge at the Springboks tommorow morning, after I check the score.

Greg
gregb

Next

Return to Forum support and suggestions