Marked as read and unread

Having trouble with an aspect of the forum? Have a suggestion for an improvement?

Marked as read and unread

Postby Shaun » Tuesday Jan 10, 2006 1:54 pm

Oliver can the forum be setup so topics are not maked as read on logging out. I dont always have time to read all post very time I log in and would like to know which topics I am still to read on loging back in.

At the moment I get lost as they are all marked as read on leaving and I cannot find a setting to change this.

Thanks Shaun
Shaun

Postby NTRabbit » Tuesday Jan 10, 2006 2:29 pm

I could be wrong, but I don't think phpbb has this function
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Re: Marked as read and unread

Postby JaCk_SpArRoW » Tuesday Jan 10, 2006 2:55 pm

Shaun wrote:Oliver can the forum be setup so topics are not maked as read on logging out. I dont always have time to read all post very time I log in and would like to know which topics I am still to read on loging back in.

At the moment I get lost as they are all marked as read on leaving and I cannot find a setting to change this.

Thanks Shaun

You could do what I do Shaun....get email notices so then you dont miss out on whats been updated! :wink: :wink:
:twisted: Ćĥĕĕŕś Ň ÃƒÅ¸ĕĕŕś :twisted:
~Ĵ@©ķ~
"Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk" - Homer
http://blackpearlbrewingco.blogspot.com/
JaCk_SpArRoW

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jan 11, 2006 8:45 am

NTRabbit is right. phpbb doesn't offer this function. I suspect it is because it would significantly increase the size and complexity of the database.

I assume that currently it simply looks at the last time you logged on and flags all messages posted since then as unread.

If you could log on and off and still have it track what you've read and what you haven't, it would have to record which threads each user had viewed. At the time of writing there were 591 users and 1932 threads. That's an extra 1,141,812 pieces of information that would need to be stored in the database! You can see the problem ...

I know it would be handy (I have the same problem as you, Shaun), but it ain't possible I don't think.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Shaun » Wednesday Jan 11, 2006 9:54 am

Thanks for the info sorry it can't be done I will just have to spend more time on here :)
Shaun

Postby Antsvb » Wednesday Jan 11, 2006 12:21 pm

Good question Shaun. Now I know.
Wish it could've been done.
:cry:
'Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.' - Benjamin Franklin.

Antsvb.
Antsvb

Re: Marked as read and unread

Postby Oliver » Thursday Dec 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Better a late reply than none :oops:

This feature was introduced three years ago with a the update to the 3.0 version of the board software, in case anyone was wondering :D

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Forum support and suggestions