Ultimate recipes

Having trouble with an aspect of the forum? Have a suggestion for an improvement?

Best tried and tested recipes but how to post them

Sticky at the top of the recipe section
19%
Sub forum in the recipes section split into style categories.
76%
One thread with links to original recipe posts
5%

Total votes : 21

Ultimate recipes

Postby drsmurto » Friday Feb 01, 2008 9:30 am

Been a few threads dedicated to this topic but what we really need to have a vote on is how we go about it. Oliver has the final say naturally.

The recipes have to be tried and tested. By many ppl. I could list of several. Another thing to think about is whether we split them into kits/extract/partial/AG. 12 months ago i would have said why bother but there seems to have been a surge in the number of brewers moving there may towards AG, if not making ti there. Thats not to deride kit brewers, there are some sensational kit recipes here and i reckon we as a community should be proud of them.

So what format would work best, i went thru previous thread and put the ideas into a poll. What seems to be the general consensus tho is it cant be a thread everyone can post in, it needs to only contain the best of the best. I suggest that each recipe be put to the forum to vote on it - yay or nay. Then the mods can move it into the sticky and either lock it so noone can post it or by deleting posts that shouldnt be there......

I think we need styles to split them up and make finding things easier but not splitting it along the BJCP style guidelines.

I voted for the 2nd one altho just to complicate it further, i reckon we need to have stickies in each sub forum that contain the best recipes to make finding these easy.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Re: Ultimate recipes

Postby Boonie » Friday Feb 01, 2008 11:06 am

I like the 2nd one too......

Once the vote is in on the layout, then it would be a matter of recipes being voted on.

There's quite a few that come to mind, but I have not done them all.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby KEG » Friday Feb 01, 2008 11:08 am

Agreed, I like the 2nd option.
KEG

Postby Chris » Friday Feb 01, 2008 11:22 am

Refine all the recipies (come to a concensus on the absolute best variation), and post.

And do it as 3 threads- AG, ME, kit.

Then each thread is locked and stickied, with one refined recipe per post (as added by mod). That way, there won't be millions of later posts added, just the recipies. More recipies can be added as single posts as they become 'classics.'
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby racer » Friday Feb 01, 2008 11:51 am

Would these be more clone type recipies so people know what to expect?
I have been to many recipie sites and wouldnt have a clue what many of them would taste like, mainly becouse of what they call them, but if the recipes was like the clone LCPA one, stait up you can easily find out if thats what you want to brew.
One mans trash is another mans treasure. Goes the same for tastes.
racer

Postby drsmurto » Friday Feb 01, 2008 11:55 am

G'day racer

Some of the best recipes are clones, some arent. They key isnt whether the clone a beer people drink but that they produce a bloody good drop and that several people have brewed the recipe with the same outstanding results.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby gregb » Friday Feb 01, 2008 5:20 pm

I may be out on my Pat Malone, but I voted for one thread with links to the original thread.

This could then be a sticky. We can keep the thread locked to prevent random posts, then Admin/mods can unlock and post link, relock thread.

As an aside and as a mod, I'd rather not be the arbiter of recipes, but can respond to popular acclaim. Wassas Honey Porter and Boonies LCPA would get a guernsey if it were up to me as they have got consistently good reviews.

As to AG/Extract'n'Spec/Kit recipes I'm in favour of keeping them all in together, as the conversion is not that hard.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Chris » Tuesday Feb 12, 2008 7:27 am

Fair enough point greg, but I find it hard to work out the *final* refined recipe on each of the original posts. Most threads seem to be about 654 posts long.

As for working out the 'winners,' I think a quick poll will do the trick. Poll members (yes or no) on each recipe that has passed the 'popular acclaim' test- ie have been made several times by different people with high success rates. The ones that spring instantly to mind are the LCPA, honey porter, and I seem to remember a good recipe of Ross'...

Psychostick
Chris

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Feb 12, 2008 10:22 am

Ross' Bannana Beer?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Boonie » Tuesday Feb 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Chris wrote:Fair enough point greg, but I find it hard to work out the *final* refined recipe on each of the original posts. Most threads seem to be about 654 posts long.

This is a major point, especially for newcomers who choose not to scroll through to find the recipes, preferring to ask the question on a new thread....been there :oops: , done that.

Like Lethals Belgian, I rate it very highly. :wink: ....edit....it's on page 2 of Belgian Strong Ale Recipes. :D

I changed it slightly with liquid malt and different yeast, but maybe we could have the original recipes with a link to the thread that started so that if any questions were posted, it could go back to the original thread......ie Refined recipes locked.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Feb 13, 2008 10:02 am

I think that each recipe needs to be retyped and locked as a single post so noone can post on it. If people want to comment they start a new topic to do so.
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Feb 13, 2008 10:07 am

drsmurto wrote:I think that each recipe needs to be retyped and locked as a single post so noone can post on it. If people want to comment they start a new topic to do so.

Agreed, also I think there would need to be a format of some sort so that all the recipes are fairly uniform in description. Just put a link at the end of each locked sticky to a thread where discussion can occur for that given recipe.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Chris » Wednesday Feb 13, 2008 12:42 pm

Agree with both kev and the doc. I think that is the best option.

Psychostick
Chris

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Feb 13, 2008 12:47 pm

Now we just need a mod to agree on this idea and start the voting on individual recipes and then get someone to type up the recipe in an agreed format (and i am NOT putting my hand up for that).
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Feb 13, 2008 12:56 pm

drsmurto wrote:Now we just need a mod to agree on this idea and start the voting on individual recipes and then get someone to type up the recipe in an agreed format (and i am NOT putting my hand up for that).

I would be happy to do it. I think the best format would be to just plug the recipe into Beersmith and post the generated report.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Feb 13, 2008 1:02 pm

+1 for beersmith format - very easy to read. On ya Kev for putting your hand up.
drsmurto

Postby Chris » Wednesday Feb 13, 2008 3:19 pm

I'm not wild about beersmith's format, but it does work. I'll vote for that too.

Let's get some polls going to decide the recipies!

Psychostick
Chris

Postby bensfarm » Sunday Sep 28, 2008 6:44 pm

i am definetly interested in the best kit beers section.dont mind the coopers aus ale with brew 2.
bensfarm

Return to Forum support and suggestions