LCPA Recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

LCPA Recipe

Postby Beer Krout » Thursday May 05, 2005 11:07 pm

Hail All you hop heads

Any of you guys come up with a good Little Creatures Pale Ale clone recipe. Yeah, the American Pale Ale with Cascade hops.

Any one come close to replicating that lovely hop profile of the LCPA?

What's your best recipe in this style?

Cheers
BK
Beer Krout

Postby Evo » Friday May 06, 2005 8:21 am

Yeah, BK, I'm doing one this weekend. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds good on paper.

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale
1kg Extra Light LME
500g Honey
12g Cascade late in the boil
12g Cascade dry in secondary
Either a White Labs WLP005 or a cultured Coopers Pale Ale yeast.

And a lot of finger crossing. If I even get close to a LCPA I'll be singing.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby db » Friday May 06, 2005 9:26 am

Evo wrote:Yeah, BK, I'm doing one this weekend. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds good on paper.

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale
1kg Extra Light LME
500g Honey
12g Cascade late in the boil
12g Cascade dry in secondary
Either a White Labs WLP005 or a cultured Coopers Pale Ale yeast.

And a lot of finger crossing. If I even get close to a LCPA I'll be singing.

Evo, i'd probly double the hops (too much cascade is never enough).. in my apa's i usually add 15-20g for 20min boil, another 15g for 1min boil & 15-30g in 2ndry..
db

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday May 06, 2005 10:32 am

db

Boil those hops for a fuul 60 min rather than 20 min and you will get more bang for the buck

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby db » Friday May 06, 2005 11:21 am

dogger

would a 60 min boil add much to the flavour? or more bitterness?
i generally do extract apa's with a 60min bittering addition with a small amount of a high aa% hop (something evo wouldn't need to worry about if using the pale ale can) eg. northern brewer, super alpha (i have heard that lc use chinook)... then cascade additions at 20min & 1min for flavour aroma.
the last batch i did was a little unbalanced.. had a nice flavour & aroma but the aftertaste was a little too bitter.. as you suggest i think on the next batch i think i'll go all cascade with a 60min addition
db

Postby Evo » Friday May 06, 2005 2:11 pm

db,

From my (limited) knowledge on hops and adding it to the boil, it is like this-

the first hops (boiled for 60 minutes) will give you the bittering
the second hops (boiled for 20 minutes) will give you the flavour
the final hops (1 minute or dry) will give you the aroma.

So if you were cool with the flavour and aroma, your 20 min and your 1 min addition levels are fine. Just add less hops (or some lower AA hops) to the 60 min boil.

Is this right ?

As for me using more hops in that recipe, I thought the can would have a decent whack in it already. But you're right, for flavour and aroma too much Cascade is never enough and Little Creatures goes pretty hard on it.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby db » Friday May 06, 2005 2:55 pm

the first hops (boiled for 60 minutes) will give you the bittering
the second hops (boiled for 20 minutes) will give you the flavour
the final hops (1 minute or dry) will give you the aroma.

yeah thats pretty much how i thought it works.. but i figure the 60min addition must impart some flavour aswell as bitterness?
i think your right. next time i'll ditch the nthn brewer & go all cascade with slightly less ibu's on the bittering addition

As for me using more hops in that recipe, I thought the can would have a decent whack in it already. But you're right, for flavour and aroma too much Cascade is never enough and Little Creatures goes pretty hard on it.

from memory the pale ale is not all that bitter.. around 19ibu i think.. (i posted the ibu's for the coopers cans awhile back) you should be able to get away with some pretty big flavour & aroma additions
db

Postby Gough72 » Friday May 06, 2005 7:29 pm

G'day fellas,

I haven't been on this forum for ages and had to re-register for some reason :? , but wanted to add something here.

If you aim between 35-40 IBU you will be close to LCPA's bitterness. If you aren't relying on a kit for bitterness, then Northern Brewer is an excellent hop to use as your 60 minute addition for bittering IMHO. On a thread on the Grumpy's forum a brewer from LC said they bitter with Goldings and Cascade, flavour with Cascade and put fresh Cascade and Chinook flowers in their hopback and pump the hot wort through it to get the aroma. I think you can get away more simply with Northern Brewer for bittering, and Cascade as your flavour and aroma additions to 35-40 IBU with an OG around 1050-1055 and an FG around 1010 for approx 5-5.5% alc. by volume. Dry hop with 2 plugs of Cascade.

I've been using Amarillo lately in place of Cascade in my APA's and really like that hop as well. Not a clone of LCPA, just a beer in the broad American Pale style, but a nice drop nonetheless. Worth a try as well.

Good luck (and G'day Dogger how are ya!)

Shawn.
Gough72

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday May 07, 2005 2:15 am

Shawn

Welcome Back, doing well Thanks, hope all is well woth you.

I have been using Centennial Hops which are considered a super charged Cascade so I am told. Having not paid enough attention to the thread I may have over stepped my bounds.

The 60 20 1 breakdown is right for bitter flavour aroma

I appologize, I thought we wanted to make it more bitter and then I didn't take into account that it would change the aroma.

:oops:

Dogger

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Jun 21, 2005 10:20 am

Hi guys,

I was drinking one of my No.50 Thomas Cooper's Sparkling Ales last night and thought that the only difference between it and Little Creatures Pale Ale was the absence of the Cascade hops. It's even the right color.

The ingredients in that were:
    1 can Thomas Cooper's Premium Selection Sparkling Ale (1.8kg)
    1 x 1.5kg can Cooper's light liquid malt
    20g Pride of Ringwood hop pellets
    Yeast as supplied
    Yeast starter from two longnecks of Cooper's Sparkling Ale

I was thinking of omitting the PoR hops and substituting Cascade.

Has anyone else used the TC Sparkling Ale as a base for a LC Pale Ale?

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Re: LCPA Recipe

Postby Guest » Tuesday Jun 21, 2005 5:38 pm

Beer Krout wrote:Hail All you hop heads

Any of you guys come up with a good Little Creatures Pale Ale clone recipe. Yeah, the American Pale Ale with Cascade hops.

Yes I have copied it exacty, I have been told that mine is as close as your gona get. Swap me something as good and I will consider letting mine go.

I am searching for a good Honey Porter like Boags, you scratch my back ........ you know the rest.

Dave

Postby gregb » Wednesday Jun 22, 2005 7:58 am

Dave,

My suggestion for a Honey porter like Boags:

1 tin Coopers Classic olde dark ale
500g Leatherwood honey
1 kg Bodybrew(600gm dextrose, 400gm Maltodextrin)but perhaps try a brewbooster(500gm Dex, 250gm each Light dry malt & maltodextrin.
12gm teabag of goldings hop steeped.
Yeast as supplied.

Cheers,

Greg
gregb

Postby Shaun » Wednesday Jun 22, 2005 3:13 pm

Oliver why the two different yeast's, which one dominated? Have you tried it with a single yeast?
Shaun

Postby Oliver » Thursday Jun 23, 2005 3:14 pm

Shaun wrote:Oliver why the two different yeast's, which one dominated? Have you tried it with a single yeast?

Probably because I could!

I'm not sure about a dominant yeast, because I haven't tried it with a single yeast (although the kit yeast is an ale/lager blend anyway).

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Jul 30, 2006 7:33 pm

Anonymous wrote:

Yes I have copied it exacty, I have been told that mine is as close as your gona get. Swap me something as good and I will consider letting mine go.

I am searching for a good Honey Porter like Boags, you scratch my back ........ you know the rest.

Dave

Well you got your back scratched so how bout returning the favour. :lol:
lethaldog

Postby Boonie » Monday Oct 02, 2006 12:00 pm

What's your best recipe in this style?

Cheers
BK

Hi Gentlemen,

Had to tell you this one.

My mate made a Little Creatures and was bragging about how close it was to original. I thought it was just another homebrewer talking his brews up. Had one the other day, and blow me down, it was bloody fantastic and close to original :shock: .

His recipe is one he obtained from his local HBS.

These are his brewing notes. I am putting one down in a few days.
Ingredients
Morgans Stockmans Draught
1.5 kg of Morgans Extra Pale Malt Extract (Liquid)
15g of Cascade pellets & 10g Cluster pellets on heat for 15 Minutes with Malt and can of Draught.
US56 Yeast.
12g of Chinook Pellets (dry hopped at rack).

Notes
Brewed 11/6 at 18 Degrees. SG 1042
14/6 1027
16/6 1019 Racked at 1019.
22/6 Added Chinook pellets. Gravity at 1013
2/7 1013 7/7 1013
Bottled on 7th July 1013
4.4%?

Highly recommend this beer and recipe from the bottles he gave me. :D
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby AlcoMoo » Monday Oct 02, 2006 2:47 pm

Boonie,

when the dry hops is used (at the end) are they just chucked into the fermenter as is? And then strained out at bottling (via the tap)?
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. (Ernest Hemingway)
AlcoMoo

Postby blandy » Monday Oct 02, 2006 3:48 pm

Don't bother about straining when you're bottling. As long as you don't shake up the fermenter too much, the hop pellets will just become part of the sludge at the bottom of the fermenter.

If you're really paranoid, put them in a hop bag or boiled stocking. I've always just chucked them in the fermenter, no problems with my beer on that part.
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby AlcoMoo » Monday Oct 02, 2006 4:12 pm

And these hops will give the aroma?? (as per the 60 20 1 rule?)
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. (Ernest Hemingway)
AlcoMoo

Postby Boonie » Monday Oct 02, 2006 5:17 pm

AlcoMoo wrote:And these hops will give the aroma?? (as per the 60 20 1 rule?)

That is my understanding with the dry hops. Just for aroma. Would give a little taste. :wink:

Don't bother about straining when you're bottling. As long as you don't shake up the fermenter too much, the hop pellets will just become part of the sludge at the bottom of the fermenter.

Blandy is correct, it does sink to the bottom.

I have had hop flowers sit a bit higher though. So I racked, and it was OK. :D

And again, just had my last one he gave me, and they are fanbloodytastic. :D
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Next

Return to Recipes