Interesting Flavours

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

Interesting Flavours

Postby Phoenix066 » Saturday Apr 16, 2011 2:17 am

Hi,
If someone had a reflux still and produced neutral flavored spirits, using plain sugar and turbo yeast
what could they add to make it taste like the traditional Italian spirit 'Grappa' and the Peruvian traditional spirit 'Pisco' ?
Phoenix066

Re: Interesting Flavours

Postby barrelboy » Saturday Apr 16, 2011 7:27 am

Kerosene
(sorry about that BB)
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby JTrin » Wednesday Jun 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Never tried either of those two spirits, but I have found that people in home brew shops can point you in the right direction if you ask. I walked in and asked for Bundy, Jager, Turkey, all sorts of stuff and the guy basically said "right, you'll need this, this and this" and it was spot on, if not nicer.
The flavourings in the little glass bottles (Prestige Essences?) are usually pretty good, and there's all sorts of weird and wonderful flavours I've never heard of, so maybe that range might have some.
JTrin

Postby JTrin » Thursday Jun 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Yes, to confirm, when I went flavour shopping today I actually saw Grappa flavour. Just as I guessed, it is a Prestige brand essence in the little glass bottles with gold lids. Didn't see any Pisco though sorry.
JTrin

Postby Phoenix066 » Monday Jun 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Ah Perfect, thankyou very much
Phoenix066

Return to Spirits