controlling water flow

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

controlling water flow

Postby lyonsy » Tuesday Oct 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Really excited to have just bought a Turbo 500 still but alas I am now devastated because where I live there is no mains pressure only tanks and pressure pumps.
I therefore will be unable to control water flow correctly as pressure pumps cannot handle low flow water. Am I beaten before I start or is anyone able to enlighten me with a solution to my problem.
lyonsy

Re: controlling water flow

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Oct 19, 2011 1:48 pm

My rainwater tank pump (Davey) handles variable flow - it drives my washing machine, dishwasher etc.

Can't see why it couldn't given all tank pumps run at a lower pressure than mains.
drsmurto

Postby lyonsy » Wednesday Oct 19, 2011 4:09 pm

drsmurto, does that mean that you use your still via your Davey pressure pump? What pump do you have?
My pump is a Davey XP700H and although I have yet to use the still, I am aware that when the tap is in a low flow situation it surges, in other words the flow basically cuts out and after a few seconds builds up to the original flow. From what I gather all pressure pumps work on air pressure in an air tank and basically I have been informed that an average pump will surge at a flow under 5 litres a minute. The only way to have a lower flow rate and not surge is to put a much larger air tank on the pump but even the largest one wil surge maybe every 20 minutes or so.
I'm sorry if I've gone on a bit, I suppose I need a 2nd opinion about my pump but I am interested to know if you make spirits with your pump.
I appreciate your input.
lyonsy

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Oct 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Don't make spirits per se but i have borrowed a mates pot still to try and make whiskey from a mash.

To circulate the water through the condenser i used a submersible pump in a fermenter (30L) full of cold water.

So never used my rainwater tank pump to run water through a condenser. I so run it through my plate chiller. What pressure can your condenser handle?
drsmurto

Postby lyonsy » Friday Oct 21, 2011 7:58 am

You have excited me there probably is another way using a submersible pump I am imagining like a fish pond pump it has definitely given me something new to look at.
You've lost me with the plate chiller, what is it?
I'm picturing just sucking water out of a container with the submersible pump and running it thru the condenser.
As for what pressure the condenser can handle I have no idea, and I am not sure why you ask.
Again thanks for the idea, will let you know how it goes.
lyonsy

Postby McStill » Saturday Oct 22, 2011 4:24 pm

There's a discussion here that should help you out :wink:

http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=572

Cheers.
McStill

Postby Flux » Monday Oct 24, 2011 1:14 am

It doesn't matter does it? , as if you use a header tank full of say anywhere between 5 - 100 lt's and a magnetic clutch pump which can restrict the downstream flow to .1Lt min or less then you have all the equipment you will need in a low delivery flow scenario?

Or am I missing something?
Flux

Postby lyonsy » Tuesday Oct 25, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks Mcstill for info re: Aussie Distiller site they showed alot of info regarding my problem. At this stage being brand new having only had one go and not getting it correct, the information in regards to pressures of condensers and the like are all above me but I will plough thru.
A couple of queries I do have are:
1. I was quoted not to get a pond pump get a submersible pump I thought they were one and the same.
2. Why have you used a pump with such a massive flow rate when we are only after 500mls a minute. How do you control that?
At this stage I've purchased a $20 400ltr per hour submersible pump, which is still more powerful than needed and to control it I was going to use the control flow tap that came with the Turbo 500 still.
Interested in any further info that you may be able to offer
lyonsy

Postby McStill » Wednesday Oct 26, 2011 12:28 pm

The trouble with a submersible pond pump is the "head" (height) it can push the water, and that they are a very low pressure pump, the cooling lines on your still are so small most of these pumps wont work unless your reservoir is at least the same height as your rig .

Most of us who recycle water use a pressure pump with a relief line so you dont overload the pump, but you have plenty of pressure there if and when you need it.

On my site there's a couple of videos I put up that I briefly explain my cooling set up on, if you watch these you'll see how my rig runs off a pressure pump :wink:

The videos are in the plated column section of that forum.

Cheers.
McStill

Return to Spirits