Ginger beer little carbonation

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Ginger beer little carbonation

Postby Guru » Thursday Nov 17, 2011 7:59 am

I made a Coopers ginger beer kit recently (just kit and kilo). Was brewed on 9/10/11 and bottled on 22/10/11. I left it at room temp for a week or so and then refrigerated. Problem is that there is little carbonation. It tastes ok just not fizzy enough. Is it possible to save this? Will it get better just by leaving it. Did I refrigerate it too soon? So many questions and I have no answers.

OG was 1030 and FG was 1010.
Guru

Re: Ginger beer little carbonation

Postby earle » Thursday Nov 17, 2011 8:43 am

When I made the coopers/morgans ginger beers they came out very fizzy. It sounds like it may benefit from a bit more time at room temp but can you give a bit more info on how you primed.
earle

Postby Guru » Thursday Nov 17, 2011 8:55 am

I just primed the same as I would of with a beer. Teaspoon measure of castor sugar in each stubbie or double that in a long neck. Put the cap on and shook it up.
Guru

Postby earle » Thursday Nov 17, 2011 9:57 am

The amount of priming sugar sounds fine so definitely sounds like a time issue. Warm place for another week or so.
earle

Postby Guru » Thursday Nov 17, 2011 11:30 am

What about the ones I have already refrigerated? Can I take these out for a couple of weeks and then put back in again without affecting the ginger beer taste etc.
Guru

Postby earle » Thursday Nov 17, 2011 1:37 pm

I think it would be ok to take them out so they can carb. Or you could drink them flat.

Do you have any that didn't go into the fridge? If so chill one of those down and check its carb levels.
earle

Postby Guru » Thursday Nov 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Sadly there are none that didn't get refrigerated. SWMBO told me to get them out of the pantry, so they went into the fridge in the garage :(

I have now taken most of the out of the fridge and "hid" them in the pantry. I will give them 2-3 weeks and see how they go.
Guru

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Dec 13, 2011 8:23 pm

Any luck, Guru? I suspect the extra time in the bottle would have helped.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Guru » Tuesday Dec 13, 2011 8:33 pm

I did try another one of these on the weekend and it has definitely improved, although I wouldn't say it had the carbonation of a commercial ginger beer. It is quite enjoyable over some ice as a thirst quencher at the end of the day. This is only about 3.2% so goes down ok. Should be good for my week on the houseboat on the Murray over new year (plus some other brews of course).
Guru

Postby Guru » Wednesday Dec 14, 2011 5:30 pm

My daughter just opened another bottle (not chilled) and it frothed out everywhere, so obviously something happening there now.
Guru

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .