Hop Rhizomes - Wanted

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

Re: Hop Rhizomes - Wanted

Postby emnpaul » Saturday Feb 11, 2012 5:42 pm

emnpaul wrote:Cool!

Bearing in mind the Chinook is reportedly a bit slow to get started "then will overtake everything" I am predicting exciting times ahead. :shock:

I was of course wrong about that.

Chinook.

Columbus. Time for harvest.

Sweet, sweet hoppy goodness.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby big dave » Monday Feb 13, 2012 11:02 am

Very nice. I have unfortunately killed both of mine by going on holidays and leaving them unwatered for too long when they were small. Will have a better attempt next winter and spring....
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby emnpaul » Saturday Feb 18, 2012 12:12 pm

big dave wrote:Very nice. I have unfortunately killed both of mine by going on holidays and leaving them unwatered for too long when they were small. Will have a better attempt next winter and spring....

Damn! Better luck next year Dave.

I've picked about 220g wet from the Columbus and it has responded by throwing a heap of new branches and is starting to form burrs again. I love these weeds. :D
emnpaul

Postby emnpaul » Thursday Oct 11, 2012 5:01 pm

My Pride of Rongwood plant.

emnpaul

Postby big dave » Sunday Oct 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Put my rhizomes in today. They had chucked out some shoots while they were wrapped up in the fridge, so I don't suppose it will take long to see some action.
big dave

Postby big dave » Friday Oct 26, 2012 9:56 am

No action yet, so I am getting nervy. Should I be watering the ground where I planted them? I watered a couple of times over the last week or so, but I would hate to have them too wet.

They are probably throwing out roots or something, but I am a bit jumpy about the delay (given I killed two rhizomes last year by not watering....).
big dave

Postby Guru » Friday Oct 26, 2012 10:27 am

I am thinking that Taradale is not the warmest place around Big Dave, so I assume they might be a little slower there than say up here in Mildura. They haven't been in the ground very long.
Guru

Postby emnpaul » Friday Oct 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Yeah, what Guru said plus mine were first year plants last year and took forever to get going. The chinook only got to three feet total. Relax, they'll be fine.
emnpaul

Postby big dave » Saturday Oct 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Ta chaps, feeling somewhat reassured.

Back to work today, so I will not be checking on them twice a day for a few days at least.... :oops:
big dave

Postby earle » Saturday Oct 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Garden is pretty crowded but have managed to fit two plants into our new garden in Toowoomba.

First year Cluster is growing well after an initial setback with something eating the leaves.

About 8 foot up the ropes

The first year Chinook actually sprouted first but then some insects got into both plants. Sprayed both with Bug-Beater and the cluster is thriving. The chinook has not done anything since, that was about a month ago. Have fertilised and am watering frequently. Any ideas appreciated.

earle

Postby Guru » Saturday Oct 27, 2012 5:20 pm

All this talk of home grown hops is making me interested in this. Where does everyone get their rhizomes from? I'm sure some varieties would grow in this area ok, especially if earle is growing them in Toowoomba.
Guru

Postby emnpaul » Saturday Oct 27, 2012 6:05 pm

earle wrote: Any ideas appreciated.

Patience. No really. My chinook as a first year plant sprouted early and stalled. The picture above in this thread was of a first year columbus and yielded approx 200g wet for the season. The chinook was a major disappointment.

Second year this year and they are both off to a ripping start. Although they wouldn't compete with your cluster height wise the bines are slightly bigger than a pencil in diameter which compared with last year is massive. More of them too. The chinook is first to the top of the fence and looks likely to give me something in return for the angst I've had to put up with. Really neglected them over winter to no apparent ill effect, no fertiliser, no nothing. Obviously it would depend on a few things like soil type, rainfall and the like but as a gross generalisation I'd say no need to go overboard with the fertiliser or watering. Just a spray with bug off or confidor and some seasol and light liquid fertiliser once a month (I used thrive) should see you right.

In response to Guru's question I got them off a local brewer who was cleaning out his vege patch. If there is a brew club in your area that would be a good place to start.
emnpaul

Postby rotten » Saturday Oct 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Send drsmurto a pm . He may have a few left
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Previous

Return to Buy, swap and sell