Whiskey profile kit

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

Whiskey profile kit

Postby Phoenix066 » Sunday Apr 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Ok so I have been scouring the net trying to find tips or recipes for the StillSpirits profile kit.
My friend and I have been trying to create a whiskey that doesn't need coke, for ages. Every essence we tried always ranged from ok to really crap. So I purchased the kit and attempted to create the JW Black recipe. It was OK but needed tweaking as our real goal was single black as a minimum quality and if we could get double black then our work would be done. Our tweaks involved 1 ml more cereal notes and 1.5 ml more caramel. We chucked in a bit more glycerine (5ml) to smooth it out and ended with a whiskey that was not quite 'double' black but was a genuinely nice whiskey to have on the rocks. (thats right, a whiskey made from neutral spirits that doesnt need coke!)
I'm hoping that in 2 weeks of the flavour marrying we might possibly have something that is almost a double black.

I've also heard that the glycerine masks the flavour and many people say not to add it, but I noticed it did make the spirit smoother.

Can anyone place tips, suggestions, experiences?
We need a good strong thread on this kit! I thought it would be impossible to get a whiskey as good as I did, while its no platinum, this kit is really good.
Phoenix066

Re: Whiskey profile kit

Postby Tipsy » Saturday Apr 20, 2013 10:14 pm

Wish I could help but I always add coke or dry to a basic essence, usually SS Bourbon. I'd be interested in any experiments you make as I'd like something for a sipper.
Tipsy

Postby Shanus » Wednesday Jun 26, 2013 6:11 pm

what does ur base taste like befor you add flavouring?
are you watering down with tap water or distalled water?
what % are you watering down to?
Shanus

Postby Tipsy » Thursday Jun 27, 2013 11:49 am

Shanus wrote:what does ur base taste like befor you add flavouring?
are you watering down with tap water or distalled water?
what % are you watering down to?

My still produces azeotropic alcohol 95.6% so it tastes very neutral when watered down.
I water it down to 40% with tank water. Our tank water is very clean, if it wasn't I would probably just run it through a filter.
Tipsy

Postby Shanus » Monday Jul 01, 2013 11:19 pm

yeah sorry i cant help much now
my base at 40% use to have a harse taste that past on to all my flavours i make and then i found out to use distilled water not tap water and my base is smooth now and so are my flavours
Shanus

Return to Spirits