Coopers vs Lion Nathan bastards

Discussion of Lion Nathan's failed takeover bid for the independent Cooper's Brewery and links to articles and other discussions.

Coopers vs Lion Nathan bastards

Postby goatsby » Monday Aug 15, 2005 10:21 pm

Hello all Ive been drinking in the shed as usual listening to ABC and Lion Nathan are making moves not so much a takeover of Coopers buut getting that way.

You can read the article here
http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/co ... 82,00.html
mind you that is from a shitty murdoch newspaper link so I doubt if it will work.

What does everyone think of Lion Nathan getting a share of Coopers?
In my opinoun Lion Nathan are complete arseholes they manufacture the worst beers in Australia Hahn Ice (now called Ice beer) and Tooheys Red
plus the Tooheys homebrew kits are manufactured in New Zealand so since when has australian beer been made out of new zealand barley??>

Anyway I urge you to stop drinking Lion Nathan products forthwith!!
(thats if you can find any of their products worth drinking)

Who knows if they take over coopers we might have our homebrew manufactured in New Zealand like Tooheys and Beermakers.

KEEP HOMEBREWS MANUFACTURED IN AUSTRALIA FROM LOCAL INGREDIANTS
goatsby

Postby NTRabbit » Monday Aug 15, 2005 10:44 pm

I struggle to think of any large brewey in this country, apart from Coopers, that is not owned by either Lion Nathan or the Fosters Group. Even most of the largest and best wineries are now owned by those two companies, especially since the Fosters buyout of Southcorp.

Whilst i dont drink many Lion Nathan owned beers, you should realise that there are quite a few good ones around whose breweries have since been bought and brought uner the Lion Nathan aegis - including Kirin Ichiban, Pilsner Urquell, Steinlager (those 3 might just be imported by, rather than owned), James Squire, and also Knappstein wines.

Might be tough to avoid.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Aug 16, 2005 3:08 am

NTRabbit wrote:I struggle to think of any large brewey in this country, apart from Coopers, that is not owned by either Lion Nathan or the Fosters Group.

San Miguel owns J. Boag and Son, Foster's owns CUB (makers of VB, Carlton, Cascade, Power's, Tooth's and Matilda Bay beers), and Lion Nathan owns Castlemaine Perkins (XXXX, Eumundi), Tooheys (Tooheys, James Squire), SA Brewing (West End, Southwark) and Swan Brewery (Swan, Emu).

That makes Cooper's clearly the No.4 brewer in Australia (or perhaps No.3 in front of Boags), maybe with Little Creatures in fifth. After that, I really can't think of any big players.

What a sad state of affairs.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Guest » Tuesday Aug 16, 2005 4:40 am

What's even worse (for me at least) is looking at my small wine collection and thinking "most of these are from Fosters". :|

Top drops from Wolf Blass, Seppelts, Saltram, all Fosters. Only my Peter Lehman and Grant Burge bottles save the day.

Postby NTRabbit » Tuesday Aug 16, 2005 4:41 am

Anonymous wrote:What's even worse (for me at least) is looking at my small wine collection and thinking "most of these are from Fosters". :|

Top drops from Wolf Blass, Seppelts, Saltram, all Fosters. Only my Peter Lehman and Grant Burge bottles save the day.

I did not logout :x
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby NTRabbit » Tuesday Aug 16, 2005 6:47 pm

Some more articles on the subject from the business section of todays Advertiser (apparently its only news here in SA)

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/co ... 13,00.html

Also, upgrades

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/co ... 13,00.html
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Return to The battle for Cooper's