Hoegaarden White

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Hoegaarden White

Postby NTRabbit » Saturday Dec 03, 2005 7:00 pm

Its still carbonating in the bottle, but the one i opened early (couldnt resist) was pretty good to taste.

Coopers Brewmaster Selection Wheat
Coopers Wheat Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg
Torrefied Wheat 1kg
Still Spirits Top Shelf Triple Sec Essence 25ml
Ground Coriander Seed 15g
Tettnanger Hop Bag 12g
Recultured Hoegaarden White yeast

Put the Torrefied Wheat (thats 4x 250g boxes of puffed wheat breakfast cereal from your local supermarket) in a grain bag and steep in as much water as you can fit (torrefied wheat is light and very bulky) for 30 minutes.

Remove the grain bag, strain the liquid back into the pot. Add the concentrate, coriander and liquid malt, boil for 1 hour then allow to cool. Strain the wort into the fermenter, fill to 23L and add the Triple Sec essence.

Steep the hop bag for 10 minutes per its instructions and add it to the wort.

Add the recultured yeast starter when its cooled to a good temperature.

Look in my sig for the name I've dubbed it :wink:
Last edited by NTRabbit on Tuesday Dec 06, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby sleonard » Saturday Dec 03, 2005 10:05 pm

Sounds bloody good NT

Might have to give it a go for my first "total every thing" beer!

good stuff :D

love the hoe
Beer, not only for breakfast.
sleonard

Postby MHD » Tuesday Dec 06, 2005 10:43 am

Quick Q: What are the ideal temperatures for a wheat beer yeast?
Fermenting: Responsibly American Brown (Drink Responsibly) My first AG!
Bottled: Fuggles Larger/ale, Honey I'm Home Ale, Entropy Wheat, Dark Matter Ale, The Beer that Should Not Be (IPA)
MHD

Postby Jay » Tuesday Dec 06, 2005 2:36 pm

Sounds great NT...you've just convinced me to try a wheat beer.

Coupla questions though sorry...

Did you have any tips for reculturing the Hoegaarden? i.e how many bottles of hoegaarden, what volumes did you culture in, and what amount of malt per volume.

This torrified wheat...can you give me an example of a brand name (don't want to end up buying rice bubbles or something else totally wrong :wink: )

And did you use the yeast that came with the coopers kit as well as your cultured hoegaarden?

Cheers,
Jay.
Jay

Postby NTRabbit » Tuesday Dec 06, 2005 4:18 pm

Jay wrote:Sounds great NT...you've just convinced me to try a wheat beer.

Did you have any tips for reculturing the Hoegaarden? i.e how many bottles of hoegaarden, what volumes did you culture in, and what amount of malt per volume.

1cm of dregs from a carefully poured single Hoegaarden bottle, in 500ml of boiled and cooled water in a 740ml PET bottle, with 4 tablespoons of dextrose and 1/4 teaspoon of yeast nutrient.

This torrified wheat...can you give me an example of a brand name (don't want to end up buying rice bubbles or something else totally wrong :wink: )

Sanitarium Puffed Wheat

And did you use the yeast that came with the coopers kit as well as your cultured hoegaarden?

Nope, saved that to use on a Weizenbier in the not to distant future.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby NTRabbit » Tuesday Dec 06, 2005 4:23 pm

MHD wrote:Quick Q: What are the ideal temperatures for a wheat beer yeast?

I've heard that a good temperature is 25*C but since i had no confirmation i just pitched warm (26*C i think), and used a blanket so that it brewed from between 24-22*C the whole time, thanks to a blanket and some perfectly timed warm weather.

It went gangbusters like that, in my tall and narrow 30L fermenter the Krausen was almost 30cm in height at its peak, even reaching into the bottom half of the S airlock.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby NTRabbit » Tuesday Dec 06, 2005 7:30 pm

I just edited the recipe, i mixed up when I added the Coriander - put it in the boil, not the steep.

Because the Triple Sec essence is just that, you can add it right before pitching the yeast, but if you want to use the less costly alternative of orange rind then it needs to go into the boil. I think i might have added the essence to the boil myself, damn my dodgy memory :oops:
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby sleonard » Tuesday Dec 06, 2005 8:53 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Jay wrote:Sounds great NT...you've just convinced me to try a wheat beer.

1cm of dregs from a carefully poured single Hoegaarden bottle, in 500ml of boiled and cooled water in a 740ml PET bottle, with 4 tablespoons of dextrose and 1/4 teaspoon of yeast nutrient.

Sanitarium Puffed Wheat

Nope, saved that to use on a Weizenbier in the not to distant future.

Oh F**k,

Sounds to much for this little white rabbit at the moment!!!!! :shock:
Beer, not only for breakfast.
sleonard

Postby MHD » Tuesday Dec 06, 2005 9:24 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
MHD wrote:Quick Q: What are the ideal temperatures for a wheat beer yeast?

I've heard that a good temperature is 25*C but since i had no confirmation i just pitched warm (26*C i think), and used a blanket so that it brewed from between 24-22*C the whole time, thanks to a blanket and some perfectly timed warm weather.

It went gangbusters like that, in my tall and narrow 30L fermenter the Krausen was almost 30cm in height at its peak, even reaching into the bottom half of the S airlock.

As long as the beer tasted good that'll do me :D
Fermenting: Responsibly American Brown (Drink Responsibly) My first AG!
Bottled: Fuggles Larger/ale, Honey I'm Home Ale, Entropy Wheat, Dark Matter Ale, The Beer that Should Not Be (IPA)
MHD

Postby Aussie Claret » Wednesday Jan 18, 2006 6:34 pm

Posting my recipe which has just been tasted and is very good.

Morgan's Golden wheat sheaf 1.7Kgs,
1Kg Morgan's wheat malt liquid,
250g honey,
500g Coopers BE1,
4 slivers of orange rind no pith
1 tea spoon crushed coriander seeds
12g Hallertau hops
re-cultured yeast from Hoegaarden Wit bottles approx 2litres

Method
Boiled wheat malt, BE1, orange peel, coriander for about 30mins. Added hops for last min. Added to fermenter with Golden wheat Sheaf malt, topped upto 21l areated then pitched yeast at around 25c. (Made upto 23l.
Fermentation temp. 22-24c
Racked to secondary on 4th day
On 9th Day CC'd in fridge at approx 4c.

Kegged 19 days later, CC'd further for 4 weeks in Keg.

Colour is Golden Yellow (unlike the real Wit, but taste is very similar)
A very nice easy drinking beer with aroma, great head retention and slight orange overtone.

Possible suggestion for next time that I make would be to cut back the orange rind to 2 or 3 slivers and add 2 tea spoons of Crushed coriander seeds, in stead of one. ALso have read that a possible addition of torrified wheat may bring closer to original colour.

A very good beer.
AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby two headed brewer » Monday Jan 23, 2006 7:50 pm

Most enjoyable thread guys. I'll be using some of the tips and ingredients very soon. Big fan of the wheat beer style, but haven't quite come up with a real goody yet. I have done The Country Brewer Wheat Wet Pack which is sensational, but everything is supplied, so it's cheating a bit. :wink:

Bally
two headed brewer

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Jan 24, 2006 3:50 am

I was going to say something nasty about Hoegaarden then decided I better not or else someone might try it home and be pissed at me

Oh crap who cares

Make sure you use nicely chlorinated water to get that chlorophenol taste and nose that came in my bottles.
NOT

No response back yet

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Aussie Claret » Tuesday Jan 24, 2006 8:30 am

lol - on tap it's not as bad :lol: I know what you are talking about but I think those chlorophenols may not be chlorophenols, but the bloody Coriander aroma and taste. But I'm not arguing with the master. And I like it.
AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Jan 24, 2006 8:34 am

Nah AC

I was that pissed with it I gave Coriander a go in a brew just to make sure I knew what I was on about. Trust me that aint it.

I just got some crap bottles :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby 501 » Wednesday Jan 25, 2006 9:12 pm

reckon some yeasts give phenols...
or maybe it's bacteria in the yeast/s

happy OzDay
|V|()R3 833R5 P|_33Z

Postby Oscar » Monday Apr 24, 2006 10:41 pm

Am about to do a Hoegaarten brew...

I have:
1.8kg can of Muntons Wheat Beer tin
Coopers BE1
15g Corriander seeds
100g of Yellow Box honey (or do I need 300g??) Recipes differ.

Do I add the entire 1kg of Wheat malt mix or leave out the BE1??

Do I shave a whole orange, or just a couple of teaspoons and throw it into the fermenter just before the yeast?

Then add dextrose to the bottles just before I fill them.

Appreciate feedback guys :oops:

EDIT: Or do I need to boil like this (cut & paste from another recipe...)

4-1/2 lb light dry wheat malt extract
2 lbs orange honey
1 oz Hallertauer/N. Brewer 7.5 HBU boiling hops
1 oz Hallertauer/Hersbrucker 3 HBU finishing hops
1-1/2 oz crushed coriander
1/2 oz dried orange peel
Belgian Ale yeast (Wyeast 1214)

Bring 5 gallons of water to a boil, then add first three ingredients.
Boil 45 minutes, then add 3/4 oz. coriander. Boil 10 minutes, then add remaining coriander and orange peel.
Boil 5 minutes, and add the finishing hops for a final 2 minutes. Chill immediately to 75 F, areate into 5
gallon carboy, and add yeast. Ferment using blow-off method, then prime with 3/4 cup corn sugar and bottle.
Oscar

Postby Oliver » Saturday Apr 29, 2006 11:23 am

Oscar,

If you're using the Muntons Wheat Beer tin, you need about an extra 1kg of fermentables, so use the wheat malt mix and leave out the brew enhancer.

If you've only got 100g of honey, use that. Anyway, you can always add more next time if you like, but if you add too much this time it's pretty hard to remove it!

If you zest the orange (that's just the very outside of the skin, none of the white stuff that's deeper in), you'll find that you only get a couple of teaspoons anyway. Just add it to the fermenter, or add it to the boil when you turn off the heat if you want to make sure it's sterile.

Regarding the addition of hops, etc, you don't have to do this as the malt in the Muntons Wheat Beer tin is already hopped. But you could add 10g-15g of Hallertauer or Saaz right at the end of the boil for some extra aroma and flavour if you like. I'd be tempted to see how you like it this time without the extra hops and adjust accordingly.

And don't forget to crack the coriander seeds before you add them.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Oscar » Monday May 01, 2006 12:18 am

Thanks for your reply Oliver.
I can see a couple of issues here...

Oliver wrote:Oscar,

If you're using the Muntons Wheat Beer tin, you need about an extra 1kg of fermentables, so use the wheat malt mix and leave out the brew enhancer.

D'oh, I added 700g BE1

Oliver wrote:If you've only got 100g of honey, use that. Anyway, you can always add more next time if you like, but if you add too much this time it's pretty hard to remove it!

I added 300g. (I figured 700gBE1 + 300g Honey = the usual 1kg brewing sugar I add to other brews

Oliver wrote:Just add (orange zest) to the fermenter, or add it to the boil when you turn off the heat if you want to make sure it's sterile.

Double D'oh! I threw it in & boild for final 30mins of 45min boil. Same with the crushed up coriander seeds.

Anyway, I am yet to get a secondary fermenter to rack, so the long awaited 7 day wait to bottle is due tomorrow.
The SG reading was 1.021. Seems a little high as my only 2 other brews settled around 1.008 or 9.

Not sure if this next bit is the doe thing, but I always sip the test from the hydo container to see what it tastes like. this one tastes like a cros between fermented cider & fairly sweet honey.

See what happens.
Oscar.
Oscar

Postby Oscar » Tuesday May 02, 2006 5:48 pm

Well it's been 8days now & still a bit of bubbling from the fermenter.
With A Muntons Wheat beer, their better quality yeast & 300g honey, should I leave it for a said amount of time, or just till I get a constant SG from 2 readings 24hrs apart?

2 days ago it was 1.021, yesteray 1.020, then tonight it was 1.019.
I am an impatient bugger, so I might just bottle it.

Thanks.
Oscar

Postby Aussie Claret » Wednesday May 03, 2006 8:29 am

No Oscar, let it finish, otherwise bottle bombs!
AC
Aussie Claret

Next

Return to Recipes