food grade and industrial co2 gas

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

food grade and industrial co2 gas

Postby JAZZA » Friday Feb 17, 2006 7:21 pm

G'Day Guy's
just read some previous forums and was woundering if there was any new news on using fire extinguishers for the co2 and what the difference between food grade and industrial co2

CHEERS,

JAZZA :lol:
JAZZA

Postby Rubber.Piggy » Saturday Feb 18, 2006 10:49 am

Don't know about CO2 but I can tell you about O2, they might be the same.

When you get an industrial O2 bottle filled, it's just filled. If you get a medical/food bottle filled the bottle is cleaned and sterilised before it's filled.

Another consideration with using fire extinguisers is that they may be unregulated or regulated to a weird pressure and you may not be able to fit your keg regs on there.
"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."
Rubber.Piggy

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Feb 18, 2006 9:56 pm

Jazza,

I have two fire extinguishers and they work fine. I don't use food grade CO2, in fact I let the fire fighters fill them.

There is some arguement surrounding the dip tube, mine do not have a dip tube

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Stangas » Saturday Feb 25, 2006 6:38 pm

mate.. if you are in australia.. dont even bother.... no one will refill them

I did an extensive look into this.. and i ended up renting a cylinder and buying the gas.

I have been brewing for about 4 months now.. and the cylinder pressure aint even moved yet.. i am using about 1 keg a week
MMMMMM... Beer
Stangas

Postby unicamrep » Friday Jul 14, 2006 1:25 pm

Was just at the local bearing shop and they had 950cc bottles of SIP co2 gas bottles that cost around $30 and were disposable once empty.
http://www.toolsnstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=An-Economical-390g-CO2-Bottle&products_id=359
And the regulator for it was $40.
Is it OK to use industrial grade co2 as opposed to food or medical grade.
Thanks,
Grant.
unicamrep

Postby Hillbilly » Saturday Jul 15, 2006 11:13 am

Speak to your local fire extinguisher service/suplier, ask them who services and refills their extinguishers. If it is them or someone local see if they will want to remove the dip tube and fill it for you. By doiing this you know it will all be properly done and you have somewhere to go to get your refill. I've got two extinguishers both with the dip tubes removed and the trigger handles replaced with cylinder valves, guy that did it for me pressure tests cylinders and also does refills. Conversion & pressure test stamp for 6 years was $70.00 each and refills are $15.00.

No cylinder rental for me!

Hillbilly :lol:
Hillbilly

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Jul 23, 2006 11:07 am

Stangas wrote:mate.. if you are in australia.. dont even bother.... no one will refill them

I did an extensive look into this.. and i ended up renting a cylinder and buying the gas.

I have been brewing for about 4 months now.. and the cylinder pressure aint even moved yet.. i am using about 1 keg a week

Long time past now stangas and was just wondering if you have found out how many kegs you are getting out of one fill, also how much for rental and fill? i was told by my hb guy that its $8 a month rental and $35 for the fill and he reckons that you would get about 15 kegs from this approx..
Im thinking bout kegging and any info would be greatly appreciated.
lethaldog

Postby Stangas » Monday Jul 24, 2006 5:37 pm

well i think i have easily done 40+ kegs.. and the guage still only really moves with barametric pressure.. which was around 5000kPa

in other words.. it used 2/5 of 5/8 of bugger all..

the rental was $113 per year, and about $35 to fill and i dont feel i will need a refill for another year.. two maybe.. and i am a pretty big drinker

all up, the hassle reduction in kegging compared to bottles is huge and cuts time to about 15 min from the fermenter to keg and gassing.

With my system i have 2 kegs inside a fridge that i have used simple T-pieces to supply them, and i have recently placed a third supply connector on the outside of the fridge for purging, cleaning, maintenance type reasons.

Also what i do... i ferment, then rack to a secondary container, then store until ready for use. I have 9 x 25L square plastic containers that i use for storage reasons. only thing to watch for is the swelling of the containers as the secondary totally finishes, so i just crack the lid and bleed off any excess CO2, being careful not to allow O2 in.

hope this helps, but my opinion, i will never bottle again!
MMMMMM... Beer
Stangas

Postby Ash » Tuesday Dec 12, 2006 2:59 pm

Just thought I'd bump this one rather than create a fresh thread...

that bottle that Stangas is talking about that's done 40+ kegs, with rental of $113 & a $35 fill would that be a small D size knee high cylinder or the big F size hoer?

I tried searching for how long gas lasts but didn't have much luck & manually found this thread (putting this in before someone tells me to piss off & do a search).
Ash

Postby Hashie » Tuesday Dec 12, 2006 4:54 pm

Ash, I have been drinking from kegs for around 18 months. I am still on my first 'D' size bottle and it still has around half left, according to the gauge.

BTW I naturally carbonate all my beers. And drink, on average, a keg a fortnight.
There is no such thing as bad beer. There is only good beer and better beer.
Hashie

Postby Ash » Tuesday Dec 12, 2006 4:58 pm

cheers Hashie, I'd drink about 1/2 to 2/3rds as much as you so D size it is.
Ash

Postby Shaun » Tuesday Dec 12, 2006 8:55 pm

lethaldog wrote:
Stangas wrote:mate.. if you are in australia.. dont even bother.... no one will refill them

Long time past now stangas and was just wondering if you have found out how many kegs you are getting out of one fill, also how much for rental and fill? i was told by my hb guy that its $8 a month rental and $35 for the fill and he reckons that you would get about 15 kegs from this approx..

lethal as you are Vic you should be able to get an Air Liquate (spelling) 9kg cylinder from a HBS for $15 a year rental and $35 for refill mine went for 2 and a bit years before needing a refill.
Shaun

Postby Oliver » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 10:47 am

Shaun wrote:... Air Liquate (spelling) ...

Air Liquide: http://www.airliquide.com.au
Oliver
Administrator

Postby lethaldog » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 4:04 pm

Shaun wrote:
lethaldog wrote:

lethal as you are Vic you should be able to get an Air Liquate (spelling) 9kg cylinder from a HBS for $15 a year rental and $35 for refill mine went for 2 and a bit years before needing a refill.

Cheers mate, since my last post i have researched a bit more and found that the G&G are pretty good and about the price that you stated, still have not taken the plunge yet but will shortly :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Return to Kegging