Oliver's Apple Cider

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Oliver's Apple Cider

Postby Franky » Tuesday Sep 14, 2004 1:43 pm

I thought I might try Oliver's highly recommended apple cider recipe as a drink for the summer months ahead (and to please the wife).

Just one question though - when you add the peeled and cored apples to the fermenter, do you have to boil them first? I assume you boil the stocking that they go in.

From what I've read, the lactose is essential...

Thanks,

Franky.
Franky

cider

Postby sago » Tuesday Sep 14, 2004 3:40 pm

I just put one down on Sunday and threw the apples in the tights without boiling.I did sterilise the tights even though they were new.I pinched them a couple of months ago to provide additional filtration on the ubiquitous back garden water feature.
I put in about 180 gs of lactose(less than half the 500g packet) and the starting S.G. gave me a reading of 1055 so it should be potent enough.
It tasted very sweet out of the SG glass so I guess when fermented will be good.
If I bottle next Sunday or early next week it will be just about perfect come Christmas.
Past history tells me that when the evenings warm up there is no bloody chance of 23 litres of sparkling cider making it to Christmas.
My daughter has already expressed great interest in this brew, what hope do we have???.
sago

Postby wazza » Wednesday Sep 15, 2004 9:36 pm

Hi Guys

I bottled a blackrock cider a few weeks ago ... and I don't even have a girlfriend to blame ;-) ... In all honesty on a stinkin hot day it's just more refreshing than a beer (hangs head in shame)

Anyway I just added 2L of "Australian Fresh" no preservatives apple juice instead of the cored apples ...... I also added 150g of lactose.

I tried a bottle the other day (couldnt help it) and it had a good apple body, but even with the 150g of lactose I would still call it dry ... not that I mind thats the way I like it.

I think I gunna have to do another ... there aint no way it's gunna be enough for summer.

Cheers

Wazza
wazza

Oliver's Apple Cider

Postby ashy » Wednesday Sep 15, 2004 10:51 pm

I am interested in trying one of these apple ciders. Having not done one of these before would someone put me in the right direction or their recipes steps on this site please. I have only stuck to beers and stouts at this stage but wouldn't mind doing the Cider as something different.

Thanks

Ashy
ashy

Postby Franky » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 9:09 am

Hi Ashy,

I too was curious about it and according to Oliver, it's a lady pleaser. From all the advice I've heard so far, a small amount of lactose is the way to keep it from being too dry, as lactose is an unfermentable so it will give it some sweetness.

Here's Oliver's brewing notes (hope yo don't mind me posting these - just so we're all on the same page):

OLIVER
35 Black Rock Cider
Started 1.6.01 Bottled 14.6.01

1 can Black Rock Cider
1kg glucose
125g lactose
3 Granny Smith apples

OG 1049 FG 1013 ALC/VOL 5.1%

BREWING NOTES Mixed the cider concentrate, glucose and lactose with two litres of boiling water in fermenter. Topped up to 18 litres, as per instructions from the homebrew shop. Lactose added to give a slightly sweet edge to what is otherwise a very, very dry cider. She also suggested adding fresh apples to give a more "apply" taste. So I cored and peeled the apples, put them in one leg of a stocking to stop them clogging the tap when they turn to mush and added to fermenter.

TASTING NOTES A tasting during bottling suggested that this will be an absolute winner. The girlfriend should be happy! Early on this was very tasty and tasting just like a bought one! 27.03.03: This was (there are none left) a fine cider. Great golden color. The lactose was a must. See Brew 39 for an adaptation on the theme.
Franky

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 12:09 pm

I had a go at a cider once and was really pleased. We can't get the concentrate you are mentioning so I used soft apple cider and a champagne yeast. I bounced it a bit with some dex and when it was finished fermenting, I primed it up in the bottle.

Clear as Crystal but dry as you say which is the way it is liked out in BC (about the only province that drinks it).

I like the call on the lactose, carefull with the assumption it is unfermentable, it is actually, there are all sorts of cultures that drink fermented milk, which within mammals, means the primary sugar is lactose. Lactose just isn't fermentable by yeasts we use to brew beer and wine. Get a good wilder and look out. (Remember, There is no substitute to cleanliness)

I am worried about the apples though, you might want to pasturize them in a boil (like your wort?) just to ensure the bactetria are looked after. And this, laugh as you will is not overkill.

Anyone heard of E-Coli? If not listen up. It is a real nasty little bacteria which can kill you dead. Normally you get it from eating uncooked hamburger. The long and the short is it comes from cows. Farmers let cows graze in the pasture around the nice apple trees. Apples fall off trees, (called windfall apples) and they fall in the cow patties and other happiness cows leave. Farmer washes them off and boom off to market. Unfortunately E-Coli is alive and well on your apple "cause no one really did much of a job on cleaning, they were more interested in getting done and quaffing some ales like all their wingers. You buy these beauty apples and squish it all up and put it in the stocking (point to note, buy the knee high stockings, not those with panties involved, ask your lady, after all this brew is for her) and all of a sudden you have a batch of cider with E-Coli and this would be bad, having a party and folks are dying. After all, I may chew about my missus and wish her dead on occasion when she wont see fit to be giving me a couple of bucks for the extra pint, but it would be another if it actually happened. It is something to think about. Have a read on my Cherry Stout to get a feel for pasturization. If you need some more info and convincing do a search on E-Coli and Walkerton, a little town 60 min North of me and have a good read.

Lastly a bit of citric acid would be good just to prevent oxidation. It may already be in the kit, check the ingredient dec.

That is about as morbid as I have ever been over a brew, Sorry will try and make that up next time.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Franky » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 1:36 pm

Hey man - I just want to brew cider, not kill anyone! :o

I take your point about boiling the apples, which was my original question. Wazza's idea about the apple juice sounds good, but I'm sure three apples would be cheaper.

I might boil the apples in a stocking in a couple of litres of water and use that to disolve the other ingredients in and then toss the whole lot into the fermenter.

Does that sound feasible (and sterile)?
Franky

Postby Oliver » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 5:10 pm

Hi guys,

Yes, lactose is essential in my view, to avoid an overly dry cider.

No, I didn't sterilise the apples. I took the view that if I peeled and cored them, leaving just the flesh, they would be pretty sterile, as I'd removed anything that had been exposed to the air.

I did soak the stocking in boiling water though. Having done this a couple of times, I found that some brands release some dye. Some of them also stink (they were definitely new!) and the boiling water helped get rid of the smell.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Apple Cider

Postby ashy » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 8:37 pm

Dogger,
Do you work? Where do you get the time to learn all this stuff. Seriously how long have you been brewing beers and other stuff for?

Ashy
ashy

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 9:01 pm

Yep, I work, where do you think I find time to jump on this forum. Actually I am a food scientist, have three kids, a wife, a dog and some Gold Fish, you can thank me for such wonderful things as McNuggett Chicken dips from McDonalds.

I brewed Homebrews for about 15 years now.

Previous carreers include hydrogeologist specializing in geo physics and a stint as a Naval Officer.

Other interests include shingling my roof which I am doing this weekend, and hockey which just went on strike so I guess I don't have much of a life :-(

LOL

Dogger
Dogger Dan

cider

Postby sago » Friday Sep 17, 2004 7:55 am

This cider is going to be a ripper.Took S.G. last night and its down to 1030 from starting at 1055.The bloody airlock is not bubbling which is of no concern as the Coopers fermenter has a clear enough lid for me to see that its going O.K.Tasted the contents of the tube and was more than happy.
Does the cider need as much maturation in the bottle as a beer brew???
That question is probably only academic as I can't leave the bastards alone long enough to see the difference.
Cloudy brew-----poured(and drank) a bottle last night that looked like a sample of rampant dysentery but it tasted alright.It was on the shelf in the garage so must of been one that I filled by tilting the fermenter to get out the last drop.Won't do that again and will not be such a tightarse next time.
sago

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Sep 17, 2004 8:24 am

Sago,

A man after my own heart, get it in ya chum, the worst you will get is a good dose of Beaver Fever. I figure 15 min of aging is more than adequate for damn near anything with an alcohol concentration of greater than 0.5 and dam it people sprinkle brewers yeast on their corn flakes in the morning

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Matty » Friday Sep 17, 2004 8:53 am

Speaking of Cherry Stout, I'm gonna put one on today:

1 tin of MSB Oatmeal Stout
1x 300gm jar of Cherry Jam (minus enough for the 6 pieces of toast l tried it on....... :roll:
500gm Chocolate malt
1-2 rows of Cadbury Old Gold Chocolate

All made up to 11.5 ltrs

Matty
I know u think u understand what u thought I said, but I don't think u realise that what u heard is not what I meant.........
Matty

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Sep 17, 2004 11:38 am

Matty,

That sounds a bit adventurous, let me know how it makes out will ya. I never thought of using chocolate, bloody decadent.

Thanks

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Matty » Friday Sep 17, 2004 11:49 am

Just needs some cocanut and I'd have a Cherry Ripe Stout! LOL

Matty
I know u think u understand what u thought I said, but I don't think u realise that what u heard is not what I meant.........
Matty

Postby Franky » Thursday Sep 23, 2004 11:59 am

just one final question - where would I find lactose? I tried a health food store and have scoured the supermarkets. Is it something a homebrew store would carry?

Cheers, Franky.
Franky

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Sep 23, 2004 9:04 pm

I have found it home brew stores, normally in the wine section as it is often used to sweeten dry wines. Additionally, try a dairy as lactose is the sugar found in milk.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Evo » Saturday Nov 20, 2004 9:54 pm

Never had a bash at a cider before, mainly cause I'm not a huge fan of Strongbow and the like. What would the chance be of brewing something like a big, kick ass Scrumpy ? Anyone got any suggestions on what can to use etc ? Obviously I'll go with some lactose, but what else ?
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby grabman » Sunday Nov 21, 2004 11:40 am

I'd try using 100% apple juice to replace some of the water, say at about a 50:50 mix, also go with a BrewBlend to add extra "feel" to finished product.
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Evo » Monday Nov 22, 2004 6:55 pm

Oh yeah. A BrewBlend being ? Maltodextrin ? I was also thinking of adding a few toenails for that authentic West Country touch. Oooh arrrr.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Next

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .