low alcohol ginger beer

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

low alcohol ginger beer

Postby poss » Wednesday Sep 08, 2004 1:20 pm

I would like to try and make the ginger beer recipe in the Q&A section of this site but would like the end result to be low or almost no alcohol.
how much sugar do you need to work with the yeast yet keep the alcohol content low. Has anyone tried this recipe and if so any top tips.
I must stress that the low or no alcohol reason is because I am brewing it for my wife who is pregent at this time.
cheers Poss
poss

Postby JamieB » Wednesday Sep 08, 2004 3:32 pm

G'day Poss,

Not sure how keen you are to do the one from the recipe page, but I recently done one from a kit from the brewshop. It came with alcoholic and non-alcoholic instructions. Worked a treat.

Not sure if the ingredients in these types of kits are an issue with your wife being pregnant or not though. Seems like the poor buggers can't have much these days.

Jamie
JamieB

Ginger Beer

Postby PricklesB » Thursday Sep 09, 2004 12:31 pm

Hi poss

I tried a ginger beer a few months back from a kit i bought same as JamieB. I went for the non-alcoholic option simply because it can be started and bottled in the same day. It turned out not as flavoursome as a bought ginger beer but was very drinkable. I usually use it as a spirit mixer. It was my first time with ginger beer so im sure the flavour could be perfected with more practice. As they say practice makes perfect.

Prickles. :twisted:
PricklesB

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 13, 2004 11:11 pm

Chaps,

Having never made a ginger beer, I can't comment on how the recipe from our site would turn out if you make it low alcohol. You could probably just add a couple of hundred grams of sugar and let it all ferment for a week or so.

That'll give it a chance to clear. Then prime and bottle as normal.

As suggested, a commercial kit might be the way to go. They're all sweetened with artificial sweetners, though. Aaaargh!!!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby poss » Friday Sep 17, 2004 4:09 pm

thanks to all those who answered my post I have decided to use a local product "drink art" natural ginger beer which I hope will be good seems to be bubbling away still after a week at about 22 degrees. I will let you know how it goes
cheers Poss
poss

Postby Q » Sunday Sep 19, 2004 10:25 pm

Hi Poss

My wife is a non-drinker which suits me just fine but she loves Ginger Beer. I've made her several batches of "Stone Ginger Beer" which comes in a kit form & is made by Colony West from Bayswater WA. It turns out perfectly each time. That recipe uses 300gm of caster sugar which is enough to provide natural carbonation in the bottle but is virtually non alcoholic.

The kit has yeast, nutrients and ginger concentrate and I think it has some artificial sweetener in it, too. But the end result is a very drinkable drop.

I'm planning to try making some alcoholic ginger beer when my fermenter's out of action for a while ... doesn't look like happening real soon, though.

Cheers
Q

ginger beer results

Postby poss » Tuesday Oct 05, 2004 7:58 pm

well the ginger beer was tasted the other day
allround great taste could have a little more spice the disapointing thing was no bubbles and I do mean flat a little disapointing it was primmed with drops the same as i do my beer
the local brew store seems to think that the ginger wort does not hold the yeast in it so it drops to the bottom and you need to stir it to get it up into the mix (now he tells me)
and they tell me that the sugars for primming need the yeast to turn into co2 anyway I have 29 bottles can I get some fizz in there and is what I am being told correct
cheers poss :shock:
poss

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Oct 05, 2004 9:14 pm

Yes you can save it with some work.

Ensure that the issue is the lack of yeast, if that is the case then your primary sugar is still good and all you need to do is drop in a yeast grain from a sachet.

This may work to save you but it is a desperation toss.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby poss » Wednesday Oct 06, 2004 8:08 am

thanks for the answer I am guesing that it will have to go back in the fermenter add yeast and then rebottle.
it is great to have you guru's out there or as we say in oz mate you are a bloody legend
cheers poss :D
poss

Postby Oliver » Thursday Oct 07, 2004 9:56 am

Poss,

You won't need to put it back into the fermenter. Just uncap and put a grain of yeast into each bottle (as suggested by Dogger) then recap. Tip the bottle upside down a couple of times to get the yeast mixed in, then put it somewhere warm for a couple of weeks.

How long was the ginger beer in the fermenter after it finished fermenting and before you bottled? It seems a strange story that the yeast would drop out more quickly in ginger beer.

For more info that might lead to a solution, see these posts:
Flat beer - HELP!: http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45
Flat Cider: http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby poss » Thursday Oct 07, 2004 1:01 pm

the ginger beer was in the fermenter for 2 weeks and bubbling had stopped for about a week s.g readings were taken on both days before bottling
but the local hbs seems to think that it will fizz in time when it was tried aweek ago no bubbles but having a feel of the pet bottles last night they felt firmer so maybe somethig is happening. :?
poss

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .